Starting Quarterback | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Reaction Score
Have you ever watched Tim Boyle play a game of football?

Just stop.
Honestly I never thought Boyle was that good. In high school he had very good receivers. Maybe not by Texas standards but by CT ones. 1 played at Central I think. One played at Bates. Another played FCS too as I recall. He was throwing to guys who were just better than the guys trying to cover them. In college I didn’t think he was that good, either. But I also think he was misused and maybe with better coaching could have been a solid but not great player

Reaction Score
Honestly I never thought Boyle was that good. In high school he had very good receivers. Maybe not by Texas standards but by CT ones. 1 played at Central I think. One played at Bates. Another played FCS too as I recall. He was throwing to guys who were just better than the guys trying to cover them. In college I didn’t think he was that good, either. But I also think he was misused and maybe with better coaching could have been a solid but not great player
He wasn't that good in hs either. He split time at Qb at Xavier.

Reaction Score
A healthy Roberson couldn't clearly beat out Fagnano as Fagnano was recovering from injury. And Fagnano wasn't good even when he was the starter.

I have no idea if Evers is the right answer or just another wrong answer. But, UConn wasn't going anywhere with Fagnano at QB and Roberson clearly hadn't inspired trust or confidence.

I'd rather have a different wrong answer than stick with a known wrong answer.
I still can't get over how good we looked on the first drive of the year with Fagnano. It looked like the offense turned a corner and then it was all down hill from there. That drive was better than anything TR put together all year.

Reaction Score
I still can't get over how good we looked on the first drive of the year with Fagnano. It looked like the offense turned a corner and then it was all down hill from there. That drive was better than anything TR put together all year.

Charlton seemed to have a knack for having a good script on the first drive and after that he lost the plot.

Reaction Score
Me too. I swear he got banged up on the second drive and was never the same. Hopefully it won’t matter because Evers will be really good and healthy.
Regarding Boyle, I think he was a perfect 3rd stringer in the NFL. Can’t wear out the starter throwing in practice and his arm was major league. Could run a little too so he was a good scout team guy. Wasn’t able to process at game speed.

Reaction Score
Additionally trick shot's sister was going out with the center at the time. Nebrich did not get quality snaps from him. It was very noticable. But Michael did commit one mortal sin. He missed a wide wide open receiver that would have easily gone for 6 at a critical juncture. Missed him badly.
Wow, that’s some serious inside stuff!

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that TR leaving is sign that the QB room is stacked and he saw the writing on the wall.

It seems like every year, we hear how good the quarterback competition is or that it is stacked. Let's hope the curse of UConn quarterbacks is nearing an end. Might I include the curse of OC playcalling as well...

Reaction Score
Wow! It's got to be much easier if he actually starts throwing footballs...
I’ve heard from a guy I know who scouted him for an FCS program that he is really talented. Good arm. Runs well. Really bright kid. Recruited by a few Ivies as well as Rutgers and a few other D1 programs. I don’t think it is impossible that he would have a shot.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be negative, but Mora has butchered the QB position so badly since last year.

1) Fagnano never, ever should have started Week 1. Nicky Charlton, all-time bad OC, HAD to get his boy in, and it ruined the season. The fact he's still on the roster is embarrassing.
2) If TR wasn't healthy to start Week 1, how do you not start Zion? I don't care about the kid's numbers, but he is a WINNER. He was a dominant winner in HS and was winning at UConn, which no one had done in a decade. He brought this team to a bowl game. Enough said. The fact that Fagnano was chosen to start over Zion is among the most disrespectful, slap in the face things I've ever seen. If Fagnano was a blue chipper from a P5 school, sure. But he was a mediocre at best QB from FCS Maine. Just an absolute disaster.
3) I don't really care TR had a bad spring. It's practice to quote Allen Iverson. Some guys are gamers and don't preform well in practice. Anyone saying Fagnano or a true freshman should start over TR because of spring ball is stuck in a fantasy land. Is TR the best QB? Of course not. Is he the best QB on the roster before yesterday? Absolutely. By all accounts he was a great ambassador for the program, and to kick him to the curb is another disrespectful move by Mora. Granted, if he was causing problems this spring + his poor play, I'd 180 on this point. But if he got shown the door purely for throwing a few spring picks, that's pretty rash to just chase a shiny new toy, which again hasn't worked out ever for us.
4) Now, we're giving the QB position to 1) a guy who hasn't played in 3 years and was maybe good vs teenagers a half decade ago 2) a guy who wasn't even that good at Maine or 3) a true freshman who hasn't played a single snap at this level. Again, absolute disaster once again. With that said, if Fagnano plays 1 meaningful snap this year, I'm out. I can live with the the other options. There is no way that guy should see a football field at this level other than to hand the ball off or kneel it.

I'm not even going to go into the fact we hired another OC with a very questionable track record at the FCS level so whoever the QB is probably won't even be set up for success, just like the guys were under Charlton.

Reaction Score
In this age of NIL and the portal, whoever is best for us to win right now gets the job. Holding someone back in the name of development with an eye for development FOR OUR PROGRAM goes out the window. Yes, develop the not starters so they get better, just in case they stick around. In the new landscape that is a big if. If Fagnano gets the job this year, then maybe the other three stick around next spring to battle it out for the 2025 job. If one of the other three gets the job this year, the remaining two will be in the portal by the end of the season, if not sooner. Unless a person winning the job this year plays lights out and gets a P5 offer for next year. Then the remaining ones have a shot at starting in 2025 and may stay.

My head just started spinning. Again, the bottom line is play the kids at all positions who give us the best chance to win in 2025 and let the chips fall where they may after that. Development is a little more important for inside-the-box positions vs. skill positions, but still. It's the win-now wild west now.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I’m kind of leaning to the Mcdonald/Welliver train. Not to crazy about some of the things I have heard with the new guy.
Prophets are seldom revered in their own time. Especially on the Boneyard. But you may turn out to be correct. Let’s hope if they are ready and 1 truly beats out the other 3, he starts the season.

Reaction Score
Prophets are seldom revered in their own time. Especially on the Boneyard. But you may turn out to be correct. Let’s hope if they are ready and 1 truly beats out the other 3, he starts the season.

I fully believe that Jim Mora and Co. are pushing as hard as they can to win now.

The problem is we have seen this movie before.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be negative, but Mora has butchered the QB position so badly since last year.

1) Fagnano never, ever should have started Week 1. Nicky Charlton, all-time bad OC, HAD to get his boy in, and it ruined the season. The fact he's still on the roster is embarrassing.
2) If TR wasn't healthy to start Week 1, how do you not start Zion? I don't care about the kid's numbers, but he is a WINNER. He was a dominant winner in HS and was winning at UConn, which no one had done in a decade. He brought this team to a bowl game. Enough said. The fact that Fagnano was chosen to start over Zion is among the most disrespectful, slap in the face things I've ever seen. If Fagnano was a blue chipper from a P5 school, sure. But he was a mediocre at best QB from FCS Maine. Just an absolute disaster.
3) I don't really care TR had a bad spring. It's practice to quote Allen Iverson. Some guys are gamers and don't preform well in practice. Anyone saying Fagnano or a true freshman should start over TR because of spring ball is stuck in a fantasy land. Is TR the best QB? Of course not. Is he the best QB on the roster before yesterday? Absolutely. By all accounts he was a great ambassador for the program, and to kick him to the curb is another disrespectful move by Mora. Granted, if he was causing problems this spring + his poor play, I'd 180 on this point. But if he got shown the door purely for throwing a few spring picks, that's pretty rash to just chase a shiny new toy, which again hasn't worked out ever for us.
4) Now, we're giving the QB position to 1) a guy who hasn't played in 3 years and was maybe good vs teenagers a half decade ago 2) a guy who wasn't even that good at Maine or 3) a true freshman who hasn't played a single snap at this level. Again, absolute disaster once again. With that said, if Fagnano plays 1 meaningful snap this year, I'm out. I can live with the the other options. There is no way that guy should see a football field at this level other than to hand the ball off or kneel it.

I'm not even going to go into the fact we hired another OC with a very questionable track record at the FCS level so whoever the QB is probably won't even be set up for success, just like the guys were under Charlton.
When did TR show that he was a gamer last year, other than coming back from injury and playing in offense that was poorly schemed (and surviving)? Not sure whether he was or wasn't the best QB in the room before yesterday but if he was are you saying the new OC (who should want to keep his job and show some ability to run an offense) ran him off even though he was absolutely the best QB? If TR was in fact the best QB and with a year of college game experience why would he be concerned about an untried Nick (now if it was Arch Manning I could see being concerned) joining the room anymore than a PWO; or competition from a couple of untried freshmen and a mediocre at best QB coming back from injury who no longer has his mentor to pick him as starter?
Zion left, TR leaves; will see if they light it up somewhere else. Bad offense last year, new OC, new QB coach, new starting QB (at least from last 11 games) so will see if new is better.
Last two years worked poorly on offense, some of it is on the QB's that played. Mora gets it wrong again (or maybe of the four there is no right answer) his time at UConn will not end well.

Reaction Score

How do you start Roberson to begin with? The man was terrible.

Reaction Score
How do you start Roberson to begin with? The man was terrible.
If Roberson is terrible, what do you call Fagnano? Instead, we're stuck with a known bad QB or an unproven QB. Either way, not good. TRob high floor but probably a low ceiling, sure. Fagnano low floor and low ceiling. Evers low floor, high ceiling. We are swinging for the fences here instead of stringing together singles. Dangerous game. Not saying it won't work out, but it's a high risk, high reward situation. The program cannot afford to strike out and it increased its chances on doing so.

EDIT: We hadn't had a 2,000 yard passer with double digit TDs and a 2:1 TD:INT rate since 2017. But he's terrible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom