Starting Five and.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Five and....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a similar perspective. I'm in agreement that Paige, Azzi, and AE are all cemented starters. Outside of that, I think there are good arguments to be made for a lot of variations. I think ICE will actually start because if you need to, you can bring in more size (Amari, Ayana) or you could go small ball (Caroline/Aubrey/Nika). If he starts one of those 3 instead of ICE then AE has to play the 5 and then, assuming one of the others is the 5th starter, it only leaves one of them to come in off the bench (just ignoring freshman for now, although to be fair they could definitely fit in here). I dunno, it just feels like there's a little bit more balance that way.

At this point, I'm just excited to see any of those women on the court!!!
I think it's also about the right match ups........I doubt Geno is playing a small lineup against a really big frontcourt with two or more 6'3" -6'4" players but a team with a smaller quicker team might need Aubrey to defend from the jump......also depends on which CD shows up...........the pre-concussion super aggressive scorer or the post-concussion CD who was far more tentative......

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
It's all about the matchups. Coach can probably get away with a three guard rotation (with Nika) and Aubrey and Edwards rounding out the five in the Big East. He's gaining defense and rebounding having both NM and AG in the starting five but losing height and offense.

Personally, I think Nika and Aubrey would be more potent coming off the bench (they both will get plenty of minutes regardless) so my ideal starters are Paige, Azzi, Carol, Edwards and Ice (we lose out on defense but gain height and offense). With that said, I think the starters at the beginning of the season will be Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey and Edwards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's got nothing to do with "stabbing anyone in the back". It's got everything to deal with sports being a meritocracy. If Nika starts, and that's certainly likely, it won't be out of Geno's loyalty to her. Instead, it will be because her presence helps the team to win predominantly by facilitating baskets and providing lockdown defense.

Here's the thing though even if she doesn't start, she'll get starters minutes. I'm hopeful that this year's team will be a throwback to the old days when Connecticut star players would only log in at less than 30 minutes a game. That should allow us to play at peace throughout the whole game and, hopefully, keep the girls healthy throughout the whole season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In Aubrey and Nika, Geno has two of the best defenders in the country.

I suspect that with the depth he has that he will want to press a lot on defense right off of the bat.

In the games that really matter he will need to shut down one or more stars on the other team to prevent us from getting down early and not simply try to match baskets. He is not going to have Nika come off the bench all year and then start her against Iowa.

Nika and Aubrey are capable scorers but with Azzi, Paige and Aaliyah on the floor, offense will not be a problem. Plus Nika is a great facilitator on offense, things work better when she is out there, and Aubrey made great strides in fitting into the offensive flow last season.

So Nika and Aubrey start.

Caroline if healthy will see a lot a minutes. Ice as well. After that it is a crap shoot but I am confident at least two of them will emerge and I suspect one of them is Ashlynn.
That is why they're in my starting lineup. In Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah, he has scorers that can basically get what they want when they want it. Scoring points this year will not be an issue for UConn. Geno needs at least one "lockdown" defender on the floor. Aubrey and Nika are lockdown defenders. Some would have them come off the bench. I want them on the court from the jump. Nika brings an energy her teammates feed off of. There will always be good-to-great players (opponents) you would like to see disappear for the entire game. These two can make it happen. Timing is everything. You can always bring in subs at the appropriate time.

When you can take a team's leading scorer that's averaging 15-20 ppg, completely out of the mix, you also upset their chemistry, and someone else will have to make up that deficit. There may not be another player on that team that can do that. i.e., if you neutralize Caitlin Clark (Iowa), or in her case slow her down with 15 or less, who takes up the slack? Clark often scores 25-33 % of her team's points. You're just trying to in the game. Not make any statements.

If you can take out a team's two best scorers, the result shouldn't be hard to figure out. I would tell them (Aubrey/Nika) they only have ONE JOB to do......make their man disappear. I wouldn't care if Nika or Aubrey didn't score a point or got a rebound the entire game. Neutralize your man, and you've done your job. I've got other players that can/will score and rebound. Pull the tiger's teeth, then they become harmless and can't hurt you. It won't always be that dramatic, but there will be teams UConn will play that feature a dynamic player(s) that needs to be "dealt" with.

Reaction Score
I think we need to ease Paige back slowly into the rotation. Start Nika. Paige would be the ultimate spark off the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not going down the rabbit hole this time. Geno will decide who starts based off pre-season practice performance based on the combination of players who are most productive in his system.
Awww c'mon Ozi.....you're no fun. Get down here is where the action is. :D Anybody can stay topside and play it safe. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One argument against Nika being first off the bench: She only plays one position. You want someone coming off the bench who can play more than one position (direct quote from Red Auerbach). Aubrey (3/4) or Caroline (2/3/4) would be a better sixth player.

JBK

Reaction Score
OK......here we go. :D I've already posted my starting 5. I'm staying out of this debate. I'll read every post in this thread to try and keep up though. I'm always interested in the thoughts and concerns of my fellow boneyarders. I've posted several times recently that Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are the only locks!!! No one on the team can/will start in front of them. I suggested that there are 4 other players besides these 3 that Geno could very well promote to starters. :cool: Nothing has changed my take on this.

We're a tight-knit group on most things, but not on who the starting 5 will be this far out. I see a group of 7 players Geno can choose his starters from.
Agreed. I am a big Nika fan and last years turnover problem was a team issue. - twenty something in our last game. Caitlin Clark broke the OState press and made them remove it in a few short minutes.
I would just say that I would like the ball in Paige’s hand for the majority of the time she is on the court. But for the 15 minutes she may be sitting initially - Nika is my choice.

Reaction Score
Awww c'mon Ozi.....you're no fun. Get down here is where the action is. :D Anybody can stay topside and play it safe. :rolleyes:
Good one. I love it!! What I have not seen being posted is that our core 5 and 2 subs have been practicing together for 3 years and they should have a good cohesiveness and stability between them that some of the better teams might not have. I count that as a PLUS, It might not have been in game time, but with Geno's practices ,it would be like in game time. I have the utmost confidence in this team and it's destiny, which is GREATNESS!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Wait, you guys had a starting 5 thread going all day and you didn’t tell me?!?! Well, then I’m going to have to make an authoritative pronouncement in my deepest stentorian voice.

The starting five in November will be…

Paige Azzi Nika Caroline Aaliyah.

There, I have spoken.

Sorry, not Aubrey. Why? You know why. Because she’s best off the bench. Maybe the best 6th woman in D1.

Yes, Nika. Why? Because we’re going to start the season running and gunning, and Nika is great at directing that sort of game. And just like the beginning of last season, Geno will want to feature in your face defense at the top of the key. Plus, Geno may want to let Paige ease into the season from the 2.

And yes, Caroline. Why? Because it’s about damn time she got to strut her stuff.

How many AAs are we allowed to have? Because the core starting 6 (yeah you read that right) are all candidates.

Reaction Score
To start

Paige Bueckers
Azzi Fudd
Nika Muhl
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin

first subs
CD
Ice

the rest TBD
Not a good rebounding starting five. A good recipe for some losses. Nika’s minutes go down this year, maybe a lot. If Ducharme is 100% she definitely starts, Ice also starts or shares minutes 50/50 with Griffin. If KK and Shade are the real deal, Nika’s minutes definitely go down. She just isn’t a threat to score. It also allows the opposing defense to easily double Paige or Azzi.

Reaction Score
To start the season

Paige Bueckers
Azzi Fudd
Nika Muhl
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin

Off the bench at the 4 & 5
Ice Brady
Carol Ducharme
Amari Deberry
Ayanna Patterson

Off the Bench 1,2 & 3
Carol Ducharme
KK Arnold
Ashylnn Shade
Quadence Samuels
Ines Bettencourt

This all depends on who is healthy and if we play a big team Geno might adjust
but we are going to run and gun with the first 5. 93 pts per game average
This is an extremely quick starting 5....:D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This thread….

7FB41EE4-7CA0-44D8-AEFE-AF89E7B93A4D.jpeg

Reaction Score
Not a good rebounding starting five. A good recipe for some losses. Nika’s minutes go down this year, maybe a lot. If Ducharme is 100% she definitely starts, Ice also starts or shares minutes 50/50 with Griffin. If KK and Shade are the real deal, Nika’s minutes definitely go down. She just isn’t a threat to score. It also allows the opposing defense to easily double Paige or Azzi.

This is sarcasm right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer