Starting Five and.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting Five and....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Stab in the back? For not starting? Since when has Geno said that loyalty results in a starting position? Last year Muhl was not going to be a starter until Bueckers was injured.

Uconn has more than five potential starters. I see seven and three are locks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Eh, not as much as the other two.

Over the past 3 years, Aaliyah played 102 games, and Nika played 92 games. Over the past 4 years, Aubrey played 96 games. I think they are similar.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I am a big Nika fan and last years turnover problem was a team issue. - twenty something in our last game. Caitlin Clark broke the OState press and made them remove it in a few short minutes.
I would just say that I would like the ball in Paige’s hand for the majority of the time she is on the court. But for the 15 minutes she may be sitting initially - Nika is my choice.

The turnover issue was almost entirely due to UConn having only two guards, with one of them being totally inexperienced. Fans forget that Senechal was a 6'1 wing forced into playing guard.
This year UConn has 6 or seven guards and three of them will rotate, keeping them fresh all season and giving UConn easily the most powerful backcourt in the country.

PS I'm one of the lucky posters who will be eating free pizza a few months. :D

Reaction Score
My argument for Nika coming off the bench, which I know is a hard decision given her record assists last season but, both Azzi and Paige are back...redundancy may not be in UConn's best interest
The problem with your comment is that you are suggesting that if Page and Azzi were on the Wing with Nika out front that the "redundancy" is a bad issue.

Why would you think (1) having two of arguably the most efficient scorers in wcbb along with (2) both being terrific passers along with (3) both can put the ball on the floor and at an elite level hit mid-range jumpers (4) while being among the best in doing this is an in any way a bad redundancy?

And before anyone jumps in about Paige should be the pg. She WILL ALSO BE the pg. UCONN will have TWO pgs on the floor. Even if Paige runs the offense while Nika is in, Nika is also a PG and vice-versa. Because UCONN does not play "Iowa" basketball. They play TEAM basketball. UCONN has two pgs. It just so happens one the two pg's is also a super scorer.

UCONN runs a motion offense. UCONN runs a motion offense. The pg will NOT dominate the ball like Clark does for Iowa. Thats why UCONN has beaten Iowa. Because they have a TEAM, And it's why they continue to get top recruits. Because they don't feature just one player.

SO if UCONN is making 3, 4, 5 passes - wouldn't it stand to reason that Paige or Azzi would have at least touched the ball? How is this bad? We have to stop disrespecting Paige and Azzi. They are so much "more" than "just a pg." Or "Just a sg." They are potential superstars period. The only way we should be referring them as being redundant, is redundant in greatness (if they hit their ceiling or near it).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stab in the back? For not starting? Since when has Geno said that loyalty results in a starting position? Last year Muhl was not going to be a starter until Bueckers was injured.

Uconn has more than five potential starters. I see seven and three are locks.
Geno’s job is not to base his starting lineup on loyalty but rather on who gives this team the best chance of winning! I seriously doubt Nika would have a problem with coming off the bench if it meant a better chance of winning! Clearly, whether she starts or not, Nika will be a vital cog in this team. I don’t care who starts! Just win!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you want to discuss your opinions on the starting five, fine, but we are NOT having yet another thread rehashing opinions on Nika. It’s all been said a million times already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom