Starting Center Kiah Stokes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting Center Kiah Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think Shoni played overseas this winter. I don't know why not.

I'm going to try to get the salesman who sold me my Mystic season tickets to schedule a "Meet-Up" with Shoni at one of the Dream games this year. There were a lot of Native Americans at last year's games and they wanted to meet her but the Mystic personnel I talked to weren't interested in getting one together.

I'll ask her about this and any other questions you may have if I can get this accomplished.
Shoni decided against playing overseas (in spite of offers from certain European squads) in order to spend much needed quality time with her family. She also toured the country visiting various high schools and reservations. She definitely would've benefited from a daily work-out regime on an overseas team, but I'm sure the Dream staff will whip her back into shape in no time. It was obvious that she was a huge defensive liability last night.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Shoni was at the game with her parents and brother. They even interviewed her.

Kayla was at the ND games and was on crutches in the early games.
Thanks for setting me straight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Early days yet, but Kiah as a starter for the Liberty is performing so far in a similar fashion to Kiah as a bench player at Uconn - in two games she has taken a total of 5 shots hitting two of them in about 21.5 minutes a game. I'd wait until we actually see this incredible offensive explosion before giving Bill all the credit.

Reaction Score
Kiah did exactly what was needed at UCONN. That's "our" system.
The coaching staff is supposed to produce well educated, classy women while, at the same time winning.
They accomplished this to a "T" with Kiah. Take away Stef, KML, Brianna and Kiah would have been a scorer too.

Reaction Score
I agree with UcMiami. Kiah looked like Kiah in her first regular season game. She will be a valuable addition to the team. She'll rebound, play "D" and occasionally look to shoot.

But she doesn't appear to be any more of a scorer yet, and it's not because she wasn't hitting her shots. She wasn't getting any shots. She doesn't move towards the basket, and she's going to have bigger bodies on her now.

I think (I hope) that she'll get put back points and deliver on the occasional pick and roll, but professional Kiah will be alot like UCONN Kiah. She'll produce what she always has produced; screens, rebounds and blocks, and that will be enough to make her valuable in the league.

Some games she'll get 10 points, but despite Bill's over-enthusiasm about her offensive prowess, she'll generally scaore in single digits, which will make her seem very much like the girl we have all supported for her four years at Storrs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the Mystics game last night, Kiah went to the basket hard twice in the first 4-5 minutes and got Stef in early foul trouble. She also blocked Stef's jump shot late in the game.

On the downside, she shot only 1-5 on FTs, missing a pair with 3 minutes left and the score very close. The crowd was jeering loudly during her shots. She also missed a contested chippie late in the game and mishandled a low pass for a TO. As competitive as WNBA games are, how Kiah plays may be the difference between winning and losing. She was unhappy with herself and should be fine in time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In the Mystics game last night, Kiah went to the basket hard twice in the first 4-5 minutes and got Stef in early foul trouble. She also blocked Stef's jump shot late in the game.

On the downside, she shot only 1-5 on FTs, missing a pair with 3 minutes left and the score very close. The crowd was jeering loudly during her shots. She also missed a contested chippie late in the game and mishandled a low pass for a TO. As competitive as WNBA games are, how Kiah plays may be the difference between winning and losing. She was unhappy with herself and should be fine in time.
I love Kiah to death. She is and will always be one of my very favorite UCONN players.

But one of the negative aspects of her game, in my view, is that her hands are not all that great. She muffed a lot of passes that could have led to layups. I thought a lot of that was playing time--being in sync with the other players. On the other hand (!), Stef has great hands. It always bugged me that announcers didn't note that much.

If Kiah had Stef's hands, she'd be a much more formidable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom