Starting Center Kiah Stokes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Center Kiah Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kiah played the first 5 min., no points, hasn't been back in.

51-38 NY at halftime. Tina with 14.

Atl: Tiff with 10, Angel 13.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Atlanta is making a run.

Kiah now has logged 9 minutes, shooting 0-1 with a block on the defensive end. Tiff and Angel lead with 15 points apiece.

Reaction Score
Swin in transition for 2, Shoni with a 3 ending the 3rd period. NY still leading 67-59.

Reaction Score
Swin starts the 4th with a layup for 2. Swin now has 11.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
YIKES! WHAT'S ALL THE HUBBUB ABOUT ?
Kiah's 4-year career numbers (averages) at UConn:

- 15 minutes per game
- 6 rebounds per game
- 4 points per game

- Extrapolating Kiah's miniscule WNBA sample size and allowing for minutes played, her collegiate and professional numbers are virtually the same.
- One thing is NOT disputable- Bill Laimbeer is clearly a better coach than the over-rated Geno Auriemma.
And he does it the right way.:p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Swin provides energy and points off the bench.

Kiah has not scored, but across the league, all the other Huskies are in double figures: Tina, Swin, Tiffany, Stefanie, and Maya.

Reaction Score
Tina 16, swin 13 with 5:10 to go in the 4th, 77-63

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah scored her first WNBA bucket off an assist from Tina with about 2:30 to go.

Tina had 17 and 12, in her Stef Dolson impersonation. Swin added 15.

Tiff missed her last several shots, but finished with 17. Angel led with 27, including 10-10 on FTs.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Did I say that? Don't put words into my mouth. And where did I throw them under the bus? I asked a legit question.

No, kiddo, you were making statements:
I find it hard to understand why they could not do the same thing over a 4 year period with Kiah's offense. It's odd that not even 3 months removed from her college team, and suddenly she's an offensive "force".

My point is Lambier has gotten this out of her in 2+ months but UCONN couldn't in 4 years. I'm confused...

You've already assumed that what Bill is saying is an accurate reflection of Kiah's upcoming WNBA season and that Kiah's preseason numbers are an accurate reflection of her WNBA season and that the UConn coaches couldn't accomplish whatever it is that Bill says he's accomplished. That sounds bus-like to me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I caught just a minute or two of the NY v Atlanta game. Did Shoni play overseas? She looks significantly out of shape.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I caught just a minute or two of the NY v Atlanta game. Did Shoni play overseas? She looks significantly out of shape.
I don't know, but Shoni was in the crowd at Jude's final game for Louisville. Shoni has never been svelte. I don't know if her stamina is affected. I'm still impressed by how Tierra Ruffin-Pratt remade her body. I'd like to see Shoni do the same.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't know, but Shoni was in the crowd at Jude's final game for Louisville. Shoni has never been svelte. I don't know if her stamina is affected. I'm still impressed by how Tierra Ruffin-Pratt remade her body. I'd like to see Shoni do the same.
Pretty sure Shoni was hurt at the time of that game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
YIKES! WHAT'S ALL THE HUBBUB ABOUT ?
Kiah's 4-year career numbers (averages) at UConn:

- 15 minutes per game
- 6 rebounds per game
- 4 points per game

- Extrapolating Kiah's miniscule WNBA sample size and allowing for minutes played, her collegiate and professional numbers are virtually the same.
- One thing is NOT disputable- Bill Laimbeer is clearly a better coach than the over-rated Geno Auriemma.
That makes more sense that some of the things others have said. It will be interesting to see how Kiah develops in the WNBA...

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Shoni was hurt at the time of that game.
I don't think Shoni played overseas this winter. I don't know why not.

I'm going to try to get the salesman who sold me my Mystic season tickets to schedule a "Meet-Up" with Shoni at one of the Dream games this year. There were a lot of Native Americans at last year's games and they wanted to meet her but the Mystic personnel I talked to weren't interested in getting one together.

I'll ask her about this and any other questions you may have if I can get this accomplished.

Reaction Score
Kiah scored her first WNBA bucket off an assist from Tina with about 2:30 to go.

Tina had 17 and 12, in her Stef Dolson impersonation. Swin added 15.

Tiff missed her last several shots, but finished with 17. Angel led with 27, including 10-10 on FTs.
Kiah probably didn't play with the starters much during preseason. She'll get better as the season goes on.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't think Shoni played overseas this winter. I don't know why not.

I'm going to try to get the salesman who sold me my Mystic season tickets to schedule a "Meet-Up" with Shoni at one of the Dream games this year. There were a lot of Native Americans at last year's games and they wanted to meet her but the Mystic personnel I talked to weren't interested in getting one together.

I'll ask her about this and any other questions you may have if I can get this accomplished.
It's possible I'm thinking of Kayla McBride, but I thought at one of the Louisville games she was shown in the stands and was said by the announcers to be hurt.

Reaction Score
Shoni was at the game with her parents and brother. They even interviewed her.

Kayla was at the ND games and was on crutches in the early games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Still, she is being asked to do more. There was a feeling that Stokes’ offensive impact would increase following the graduation of Stefanie Dolson. But she is only averaging one additional field-goal attempt and one more point per game. Auriemma constantly reminds Stokes that she is too talented of an offensive player to simply defer to her teammates.

“Ever since I have been here, he has done that,” Stokes said. “You can’t take wild shots, you have to do what is in the offense, but I have to keep looking to score instead of looking to pass.

UConn’s Kiah Stokes aggressive on defense, not offense

The staff has most certainly asked Kiah to look for her shot more. For some reason, she didn't do it much during games but she is now. She's always had this amazing upside that still remains untapped and I, personally, look forward to seeing more from Kiah.

See Graham Hayes article as well:
UConn seniors wrap up careers with no regrets, ESPN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No, kiddo, you were making statements:
I find it hard to understand why they could not do the same thing over a 4 year period with Kiah's offense. It's odd that not even 3 months removed from her college team, and suddenly she's an offensive "force".

My point is Lambier has gotten this out of her in 2+ months but UCONN couldn't in 4 years. I'm confused...

You've already assumed that what Bill is saying is an accurate reflection of Kiah's upcoming WNBA season and that Kiah's preseason numbers are an accurate reflection of her WNBA season and that the UConn coaches couldn't accomplish whatever it is that Bill says he's accomplished. That sounds bus-like to me.
Not looking for an argument, but I need to correct your comments. Firstly, throwing someone under the bus is what Coach McCallie does at Duke. She blames her players after a loss taking no responsibility for it herself. The basic meaning of "throwing under the bus" is to "sacrifice a friend or ally for selfish reasons".

If you really feel that is what I did, then we have nothing to discuss.

Secondly, you have no idea what I have assumed, or not assumed. I have never said that 3 preseason games make up a season, but instead of picking and choosing snippets of my comments, if you read them in total, you might have understood that I'm questioning why the UCONN staff was never able, in 4 years, to get Kiah to play to her untapped offensive potential.

I think it's pretty clear the UCONN staff wanted her to do more, but she never did. And yet, in her own words, she now "gets it" when it's coming from her new coach, all in about 2 months.

I hardly think it's unfair to question why. And in the same breath to congratulate Kiah and be excited for her new role as a starter for a professional basketball team...

Reaction Score
Not looking for an argument, but I need to correct your comments. Firstly, throwing someone under the bus is what Coach McCallie does at Duke. She blames her players after a loss taking no responsibility for it herself. The basic meaning of "throwing under the bus" is to "sacrifice a friend or ally for selfish reasons".

Secondly, you have no idea what I have assumed, or not assumed. I have never said that 3 preseason games make up a season, but instead of picking and choosing snippets of my comments, if you read them in total, you might have understood that I'm questioning why the UCONN staff was never able, in 4 years, to get Kiah to play to her untapped offensive potential.

I think it's pretty clear the UCONN staff wanted her to do more, but she never did. And yet, in her own words, she now "gets it" when it's coming from her new coach, all in about 2 months.

I hardly think it's unfair to question why. And in the same breath to congratulate Kiah and be excited for her new role as a starter for a professional basketball team...
I agree with This Justin you asked the question so that you could heep criticism on the UCONN coaching staff and not to gain insight as to why Kiah was not an offensive force at UCONN.

Reaction Score

Eric -- I am missing your point too. In one breath you are saying you aren't throwing Geno under the bus then in the next you are implying or taking her word for it that "she gets it" in just a short time with NY vs 4 years at UCONN. If you say you aren't throwing Geno under the bus - okay -- but it sure seems like you are.

The only one in all of this that I think doesn't get it - is Bill Lambeer. Kiah is NOT going to turn into an offensive weapon this year or next. I believe that you, I and many of us UCONN fans can know more about our players than guys like Bill *unless he is doing it just to motivate her and build her confidence for 2- 3 years down the road.). And Kiah can talk all she wants -- but from what we have seen -- and from what I saw last night - she is not close to the offensive player Bill babbles about. What she is - is what WE ALL KNOW - as a tremendous defender. Last night late in the game she had some key blocked shots and some nice rebounds. When she caught the ball offensively she still doesn't face the basket to score unless she is a couple of feet away from the rim. She threw one "vertical low pass" from what I can remember in which Tina was swarnmed by other players. That was the only "offensive pass" I think she made and it was a terrible decision to make that pass.

IMO you can't believe Bill Lambeer. Believe what you saw for 4 years over his training camp view. Sure -- Kiah full-time being a pro-- someday she can be more of scorer- sure it's possible. But when you begin to take her word for it "that she gets it" imo her statement is coming from 22 yo kid trying to please her coach and saying the right things. Just because a player says they get it doesn't mean that it means it will turn into production. Last night I saw the same Kiah Stokes I saw the last couple of years at UCONN. Not the Bill Lambeer version or the Kiah one stating "she gets it." And the one I saw is a darn good 1st round draft pick without needing to be the scorer Bill wants her to be.

Reaction Score
Still, she is being asked to do more. There was a feeling that Stokes’ offensive impact would increase following the graduation of Stefanie Dolson. But she is only averaging one additional field-goal attempt and one more point per game. Auriemma constantly reminds Stokes that she is too talented of an offensive player to simply defer to her teammates.

“Ever since I have been here, he has done that,” Stokes said. “You can’t take wild shots, you have to do what is in the offense, but I have to keep looking to score instead of looking to pass.

UConn’s Kiah Stokes aggressive on defense, not offense

The staff has most certainly asked Kiah to look for her shot more. For some reason, she didn't do it much during games but she is now. She's always had this amazing upside that still remains untapped and I, personally, look forward to seeing more from Kiah.

See Graham Hayes article as well:
UConn seniors wrap up careers with no regrets, ESPN

Great post.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Eric - I'd agree that we have nothing to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom