Stanford - We don't have Room For You | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Stanford - We don't have Room For You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's irrelevant to the number of women players on a team. Schools use practice players to provide a better and more physical level of competition. Having 15 players is more than enough, in terms of numbers, for practices. Whether or not Stanford chooses to use male practice players is a different issue.

I know that. The issue was some posters poo-pooing (or saying it is embarrassing) for Stanford to have 19 players. Most schools use that many in practice.

Reaction Score
If they are true walk-ons and clear of all scholarship issues then there are no problems whatsoever. If they are manipulations that is not fair. I fully expect Stanford is in full compliance. They would be foolish to do otherwise.

Stanford is fully compliant.

Reaction Score
They are irrelevant because they are not potential players for the team to use on the court nor can they in any manner qualify against scholarships.

I get that, but my pt was the walk ons ARE used vs. male practice players.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
If they are true walk-ons and clear of all scholarship issues then there are no problems whatsoever. If they are manipulations that is not fair. I fully expect Stanford is in full compliance. They would be foolish to do otherwise.

Yes, they are true walk-ons. How can you tell? Walk-ons cannot sign a Letter of Intent. Check out Stanford's press release here of the incoming freshmen.

The only players signed were Aly Beebe and Tess Picknell. If you look at this year's roster here, the other freshmen who aren't on that list are Denia Ebersole and Kiran Lakhian. Thus, we know those two are the walk-ons.

So for next year, we are losing Joslyn Tinkle, but gaining four more scholarship recruits, leaving the rest as walk-ons.

No manipulation here.

Reaction Score
oh, please: you know better. Male practice players cannot play in WCBB games. They are not recruited. They receive no scholarships. Next thing you know, you'll be saying that cheerleaders count towards football team numbers.

Hello. doh. I know difference. My pt was that Tara uses the walk-ons vs. 5 male practice players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I know that. The issue was some posters poo-pooing (or saying it is embarrassing) for Stanford to have 19 players. Most schools use that many in practice.
Irrelevant unless all those teams list those kids on their rosters. I know of none who do that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, they are true walk-ons. How can you tell? Walk-ons cannot sign a Letter of Intent. Check out Stanford's press release here of the incoming freshmen.

The only players signed were Aly Beebe and Tess Picknell. If you look at this year's roster here, the other freshmen who aren't on that list are Denia Ebersole and Kiran Lakhian. Thus, we know those two are the walk-ons.

So for next year, we are losing Joslyn Tinkle, but gaining four more scholarship recruits, leaving the rest as walk-ons.

No manipulation here.
I never thought there was. You'll note my posts were about the potential issues involved not what was happening. I fully expect Stanford is in compliance because it would be completely foolish to do otherwise.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What about the other three players that won't have a scholarship next year. I also suspect that Ruef anticipated she would get another year when she sat out for Medical reasons. Tara & Stanford didn't award her, because of the recruits they could sign.

Wait a minute. Let's example what example was promised during the recruiting trip:
1) Four-year basketball scholarship from Stanford? Check
2) A degree from Stanford? Check

So where exactly did Vanderveer break her promise?

Reaction Score
19 seems awfully high, do all the players get to participate in practice or are some relegated to more watching? Not that all players deserve equal practice time. Just never thought 19 was necessary, even 15 seems high.

Reaction Score
Irrelevant unless all those teams list those kids on their rosters. I know of none who do that.

ugh. I know the difference between walk-ons and male practice players. Again, my pt was that Tara uses her walk-ons vs. putting them on the bench to watch male practice players.

Reaction Score
What about the other three players that won't have a scholarship next year. I also suspect that Ruef anticipated she would get another year when she sat out for Medical reasons. Tara & Stanford didn't award her, because of the recruits they could sign.

It's very comforting to know UConn fans are so concerned about Stanford scholies. We graduate 3 next yr (Chiney, James, Kokenis). See my other post on timing of getting admitted to school (undergrad and grad). So if Tara didn't offer a scholie to incoming frosh and Ruef didn't get accepted to grad school, they'd be in big trouble. Tara and Amy (Associate coach) have been at Stanford for 29 yrs. They know how it works a lot better than anyone here.

Reaction Score
19 seems awfully high, do all the players get to participate in practice or are some relegated to more watching? Not that all players deserve equal practice time. Just never thought 19 was necessary, even 15 seems high.

when are all players ever healthy?

Sakibomb25

Reaction Score

Again, what about those players? They are walk-on players. They were not recruited as scholarship players. So again, what promise was broken by the coaching staff?

As for Ruef, whether she anticipated getting a fifth year or not is irrelevant. She HAD to redshirt because she was injured. It's not relevant what she anticipated.

Ruef completed her four-year degree at Stanford under the promise Vanderveer gave Ruef and her family. No one knew if Ruef was going to come back for a fifth year until recently, because she hadn't gotten accepted into her masters program.

Again, it's not like Ruef had another year of her undergrad left and Vanderveer pulled the rug from beneath her. She has her degree. If she would like to come back for a fifth year, she'll have to pay her way through the masters program.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ugh. I know the difference between walk-ons and male practice players. Again, my pt was that Tara uses her walk-ons vs. putting them on the bench to watch male practice players.
Nowhere in the discussion was that pertinent.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My post didn't say its written anywhere. However, you can bet all coaches make that promise otherwise why would a recruit go to a school if the coach said, I'll only give you a scholarship on a yearly basis and I might pull it, if I can sign a better recruit.

You can?

Reaction Score
Again, what about those players? They are walk-on players. They were not recruited as scholarship players. So again, what promise was broken by the coaching staff?

As for Ruef, whether she anticipated getting a fifth year or not is irrelevant. She HAD to redshirt because she was injured. It's not relevant what she anticipated.

Ruef completed her four-year degree at Stanford under the promise Vanderveer gave Ruef and her family. No one knew if Ruef was going to come back for a fifth year until recently, because she hadn't gotten accepted into her masters program.

Again, it's not like Ruef had another year of her undergrad left and Vanderveer pulled the rug from beneath her. She has her degree. If she would like to come back for a fifth year, she'll have to pay her way through the masters program.

X___________________

Reaction Score
when are all players ever healthy?

Never, nearly every other team gets by with some combination of 12-15 players though and Stanford has more talent than 99% of D1 teams. If any team needed 19 players it isn't a top 25 one.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Never, nearly every other team gets by with some combination of 12-15 players though and Stanford has more talent than 99% of D1 teams. If any team needed 19 players it isn't a top 25 one.

Disagree! MD needed 19 today...all on the court at the same time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How are those four players being treated unfairly? Vanderveer did not recruit them as scholarship players. She recruited them as walk-ons.

For a good, but not great basketball player, it is still an advantage to be considered a walk-on for the basketball team because it helps you get into Stanford since there isn't so much competition (you are applying super early, as opposed to when the rest of the United States is applying). They knew they weren't going on scholarship. So tell me again how they are being treated poorly?
Woops - thanks for the clarification - from reading the earlier posts I had thought Stanford was pulling scholarships from players that had received them. If the other three players are and were walk-ons to start with, I have no problems. (I did use 19 scholarship commitments at the beginning of that sentence because I thought that was the situation.) And as I said in the rest of the post - I think a player, their family, and a coach feel a scholarship offer is a 4 year commitment, not 5+ years, so I have no issue with 'pulling' a scholarship for a player who has already (or will have) graduated.
There was at least one situation at Uconn where a walk-on was given a scholarship, but expressly with the understanding that if the team needed the scholarship in a following year, it would not be renewed - a clear benefit for the player with clearly defined conditions.

Reaction Score
How are those four players being treated unfairly? Vanderveer did not recruit them as scholarship players. She recruited them as walk-ons.

For a good, but not great basketball player, it is still an advantage to be considered a walk-on for the basketball team because it helps you get into Stanford since there isn't so much competition (you are applying super early, as opposed to when the rest of the United States is applying). They knew they weren't going on scholarship. So tell me again how they are being treated poorly?
So walk-ons get preferential treatment by Admissions? Sounds like a violation of some NCAA rule to me. Who do they think they are? UNC?

Sakibomb25

Reaction Score
So walk-ons get preferential treatment by Admissions? Sounds like a violation of some NCAA rule to me. Who do they think they are? UNC?

Using your logic, a majority of NCAA student athletes get preferential treatment because they don't apply to the school. They just tell the coach they want to go there and boom, it's done.

So again, what is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01