Stanford - We don't have Room For You | The Boneyard

Stanford - We don't have Room For You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Scholarships - Link

Title of this thread is my headline for Stanford's Scholarship situation. Stanford is no better then UNC with what they did.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Why would a coach want 19 players?

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Holy Cow - I get definite vibes that Ruef got a low grade in Elitist Snob 101 @ Stanford.

Reaction Score
With the money the Trees have, no one has to pay if don't have lot of loot. Reason she is one not getting athletic scholarship is with her parents lower payscale type jobs she'll get a 99% schoarship and have to work 10 hours a week in the library.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not sure why they need 19 players.

She doesn't (maybe a few of them will walk on for UConn next year, the practice floor will behave plenty of space). I guess either the kids are naive, they don't see themselves as the ones who will lose, or a Stanford education paid for the hard way for a year or two is okay with them. But what do we know about the kids who will change status? The kid in the article is now on to grad school. She has a year left to play, it seems. Couldn't she transfer on scholarship elsewhere if she wanted to, not that I think she should be put in that position? Have the other kids been identified?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not to underscore the article, since its about Ruef, but WOW!!!!!

19 scholarship players, really??

Reaction Score
Not sure why Tara would need or want 19 players...but I do like the fact that 15 young women are getting a free Stanford education every year...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with "Free Stanford Education", with the amount of work that goes into playing College Basketball at an elite WBB program. Yes, they'll mostly not have any student loans, but they're paying for the education. There are other students who are on an academic or other types of scholarship at Stanford that are getting for the most part a "Free Stanford Education". :)

Not sure why Tara would need or want 19 players...but I do like the fact that 15 young women are getting a free Stanford education every year...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Let me make sure I understand this - Ruef is currently on scholarship to Stanford, but it won't be renewed for her senior year (which is her 5th season due to a redshirt year) because Stanford recruited too many other kids? Is that about the gist of it? If that is true, it's totally disgraceful and Stanford fans should be ashamed of Tara and her staff. Makes what Hatchell did at UNC look like a picnic by comparison.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My understanding was that members of athletic teams are not allowed to receive any other scholarship money from the university and that as walk ons they would have to entirely pay their own way. It may be possible to split scholarships/share them but then the balance must be born entirely by the players personal resources. I may be wrong but this is how I remember it. Similarly you cannot use a scholarship from a different program like volleyball because basketball is at the apex of the NCAA scholarship pyramid. JS has know this stuff pretty well in the past maybe he can shed light.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We need cardfan to explain all of this for us peons :rolleyes:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Ruef could transfer and play for another school and finish up her masters. I don't think she would have to sit a year either. Stephanie Gilbreath had one more year of eligibility left, after missing at least two seasons with knee injuries. She used her last year of eligibility to play this year at New Mexico State(for Mark Trakh who recruited her) after playing the past two years at USC and all of her education at USC.
The article also said she cant play professionally.............why not? Maybe she isn't good enough for the WNBA but there is still good money to be made overseas.
She could also take a loan, like a tremendous % of kids do nowadays, and $28K shouldn't be a back breaker to pay off.
Not sure why Stanford is made out to be the bad guy here. Didn't they pay for 5 years of school already? I don't think this is the same case as UNC. Were any of those players there for 5 years and then told to leave or pay there own way?

I have no idea why Stanford needs 19 to show up. My guess is that many of those aren't physically able to, or will never play meaningful minutes but Stanford continues to honor the scholarships they have offered.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She got her four year degree. Stanford has met it's commitment to her. Nothing to see here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I see what the problem is here.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, she's a fourth-year student and Stanford will pay her way through the end of this summer. She'll get an undergraduate degree and apparently a decent way towards a master's degree on Stanford's dime.

She just needs enough aid and loans to get through $28,000 worth of classes - that's not a large mountain given that she is likely eligible for a decent chunk of aid and that she will be entering next year's job market as a Stanford grad with master's in engineering.

No one is getting a raw deal here.

Reaction Score
With the money the Trees have, no one has to pay if don't have lot of loot. Reason she is one not getting athletic scholarship is with her parents lower payscale type jobs she'll get a 99% schoarship and have to work 10 hours a week in the library.

Nope. If a recruited player receives need-based aid, she is counted against the 15-scholarship limit.

Reaction Score
My understanding was that members of athletic teams are not allowed to receive any other scholarship money from the university and that as walk ons they would have to entirely pay their own way. It may be possible to split scholarships/share them but then the balance must be born entirely by the players personal resources. I may be wrong but this is how I remember it. Similarly you cannot use a scholarship from a different program like volleyball because basketball is at the apex of the NCAA scholarship pyramid. JS has know this stuff pretty well in the past maybe he can shed light.

That's basically correct. If a "recruited" player receives need-based aid, then she counts against the 15-scholarship limit. Occasionally a player can receive certain academic scholarship money - but it must be a program with strictly defined rules as to who gets the money and the school must be able to demonstrate to the NCAA that athletics did not play a part in awarding the scholarship.

Under NCAA rules, basketball scholarships cannot be split. You are correct that you can't give a basketball player a scholarship in another sport without it counting against the basketball limit.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Splitting scholarships must be limited to Div 2 athletics which has limited scholarships because I know that scholarships can be split under NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I see what the problem is here.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, she's a fourth-year student and Stanford will pay her way through the end of this summer. She'll get an undergraduate degree and apparently a decent way towards a master's degree on Stanford's dime.

She just needs enough aid and loans to get through $28,000 worth of classes - that's not a large mountain given that she is likely eligible for a decent chunk of aid and that she will be entering next year's job market as a Stanford grad with master's in engineering.

No one is getting a raw deal here.

But if was averaging 15 and 8 a game would Stamford have paid for her 5th year?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would say that the issue is less about Ruef and more about the numbers 19 and 15.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Splitting scholarships must be limited to Div 2 athletics which has limited scholarships because I know that scholarships can be split under NCAA rules.
D1 scholarships can be split but only in certain sports. Basketball is not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom