St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We lost tonite because we got some bad breaks It happens we've been running on fumes and it caught up to us. We lack shooters, we've made way to many TOs but we only made 12 tonite. We need to get through February and we can rest. Hopefully Caroline and Azzi come back healthy and with a rested Lou we can win it all. Thats a big "IF" We have 50+ pts on the bench. Right now we have no bench. IF we have a healthy Caroline and Azzi coming off the bench I like our chances against any team
that may be what the box score says, but I find it hard to believe we only had 12 turnovers. Seemed like a lot more.

Reaction Score
Where it may be coaching is something like this: "Oh, they're playing defense against us this way... Let's try our "counter A"... and then "counter B"... I don't see confidence that there's a "Ok, we got a strategy for that. Let's see what they do with this."
On the other hand how much can a coach do when the problem is fundementals - boxing out, passing back out and re-posting when double or triple-teamed inside, protecting against 3-pointers, driving and dishing, driving to get fouled, not getting beat on the break, keeping both arms up defending inside.... and so on. These are things that have been stressed in practice, surely.
So... head scratcher...

Reaction Score
I see Aaliyah's T as a turning point in the game. How did she earn that?
Trough critical call to cut short a good run by us in the 3rd qtr. However, by not grabbing rebound with two hands one had flew out for balance. It was not intentional IMO. Our bigs often do this to our loss of rebounding control or having a turnover. Dorka continues to move well to rebounds when playing inside but increasingly has played outside to provide another three point option. When this happens, not many other players seem to collapse for rebounds. The exceptions are Griffin and CD but they don't establish inside position, just penetrate. Our entire team congregates around the three-point line. We have been badly out rebounded in recent game, a major change from our best basketball.

We have also gotten away from holding and passing a rebound from a very high position. We then pass to a demanding Nika for a dribble over halfcourt and our well scouted half-court offence. This is death valley when we are pressed. Options and unpredictability are the answer but we seem blind to that.

Reaction Score
Geno is a realist. If you dissect the game or recent series of games, how do you improve???? Good players also do this and relish trying to improve. We have the bones to play against any team and have proved it often. The short bench and managing minutes is the challenge. More determined starts and fewer lulls possible. Don't count us out.

Geno's comments about the coaches says a lot. This is a real concern impacting recruiting, retention and player growth. That area needs a serious review but will have to wait until later in the season.
Kim Mulkey has just as short a bench at LSU, she's making it work. Geno needs to step it up and coach this team.

Reaction Score
The injuries have been devastating, but maybe Geno bears some responsibility for “very little supporting cast,” especially at this point in the season. I would’ve hoped, in dealing with season-long injuries, there would be an alternative to what seems to simply be, “play the starters until they drop.”
What’s he supposed to do, play the bench more when up 20 or 30 points in a game? (ahem)

Reaction Score
You called it. Was looking for a stress free break (Finally )
They need our support more than ever
We have to be careful
l love Meg but There were times when she was annoying me and she was just doing her job
I think she's calling it as she see's it. She give a compliment for a good play. She gives a critique of a bad play.... for both teams.
If we'd rather have a "homer," what would that sound like?
The song played with under 2 minutes to go - We Will Rock You - epitomized how silly that could be. I cringed because UConn was certainly not "Rocking..." anybody.

Reaction Score
I saw this coming, unfortunately. UCONN gets up for competition like SC even though they lost, Villanova Texas and NC State. For supposed wins, they fail to meet the challenge. Defense was porous on the perimeter and interior and there were a ton of missed assignments.

Aaliyah hasn't played well since the SC game. Maybe the challenge of being an All-American has gotten to her. Her turnovers are atrocious, hands of stone even though she plays with energy. She needs to recognize when she gets the ball in the post and there are 3 people around her. pass to the open person instead of trying to score.
Dorka at 6'5" should have stayed in the low post. (See St. Johns 14 offensive rebounds and 42 total rebounds.) Their tallest player was 6'2" but yet she and Aliyah were on the perimeter catching the ball. She hits the floor more than the basketball and I cringe expecting a broken finger or arm. She should have developed more moves in the low post by now other than the up and under. She was constantly put in switches on the perimeter and was taken baseline
Audrey was non-existent. and wasn't a factor which is surprising since she is our most athletic player
Ducharme played like she still had a concussion.
Patterson the one time she could have made a layup right before the end of the first QTR she picked the ball up on the side of the right free throw lane and passed it. She doesn't even look to score.

We need more speed, athleticism and playmakers. Dorka, Lou, Caroline even Nika are slow and are liabilities defensively. When you need a basket someone has to step up and make a shot and when Lou is doubled or can't get the ball we are doomed. Geno likes to recruit a certain type of player and that worked 10-15 years ago but it doesn't now. Everyone plays the same way we do now and have just as good or better talent.
We aren't even going to win the Big East tourney.
Still see no mention of Azzi. I think has been given a gag order not to talk about her injury. No podcast or anything. Why should she have some incentive to come back to this?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have to agree about the tired aspect. I played college football, which I am guessing was at least as physically draining as college basketball. Since I was basically a teenager, it was pretty easy to recover and I was not completely worn out at the end of the season. Heck, in HS we played “iron man“ (offense, defense, special teams) football and in many games some of us never came off the field. Yes, I was tired after games but played the whole season and playoffs (then a couple week break before basketball season started.) Perhaps my memory is clouded by time, but I don’t remember being completely spent at any time during the three-sport year.
You played 12-15 games a season, 1 a week and most likely only 6-7 on the road.

Reaction Score
Where it may be coaching is something like this: "Oh, they're playing defense against us this way... Let's try our "counter A"... and then "counter B"... I don't see confidence that there's a "Ok, we got a strategy for that. Let's see what they do with this."
On the other hand how much can a coach do when the problem is fundementals - boxing out, passing back out and re-posting when double or triple-teamed inside, protecting against 3-pointers, driving and dishing, driving to get fouled, not getting beat on the break, keeping both arms up defending inside.... and so on. These are things that have been stressed in practice, surely.
So... head scratcher...
but remember that Geno himself has said that they have not been able to practice much over the past several weeks. combine the lack of practice time with the physical and mental exhaustion and the nagging injuries that the six available players are playing through, probably not surprising that things look the way they do.
After watching last night’s game, it’s questionable if one of the players should be playing at all right now.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If you don't want to be really depressed, don't watch any of the early games, such as Iowa and Florida State.
It's like watching an entirely different team, although they have the same cast of characters, except missing Azzi in one and Dorka in another. We talk about fatigue, but when you watch these earlier games, the speed is totally different, the sharpness is not there, and it is obvious that the season has really affected them to the point that they seem like another team. God bless them, because I don't think they can snap out of it, even if Azzi returns. I was at the game and there was no fire, so I hope Geno can find a solution. Hell, they didn't even bother to bring out the smoke machines during player intros. LOL

Reaction Score
I see Aaliyah's T as a turning point in the game. How did she earn that?
Same, it was a definite momentum changer, and it sure looked like a terrible call to me. She grabbed a long rebound with one hand, and someone jumped into her other arm.

Reaction Score
It is a tough situation when what should have been bench players are the starters and the bench. You can only hope they are not in this predicament next year

Reaction Score
Providence - St John’s - Georgetown - used to be very soft opponents as well.
I was being sarcastic, but you seem serious. Wasn’t the point of leaving the AAC, where we never lost, to come here for better competition? Now you’re complaining because we do? If we had a full team, no worries, but this isn’t who we expected to start.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I saw this coming, unfortunately. UCONN gets up for competition like SC even though they lost, Villanova Texas and NC State. For supposed wins, they fail to meet the challenge. Defense was porous on the perimeter and interior and there were a ton of missed assignments.

Aaliyah hasn't played well since the SC game. Maybe the challenge of being an All-American has gotten to her. Her turnovers are atrocious, hands of stone even though she plays with energy. She needs to recognize when she gets the ball in the post and there are 3 people around her. pass to the open person instead of trying to score.
Dorka at 6'5" should have stayed in the low post. (See St. Johns 14 offensive rebounds and 42 total rebounds.) Their tallest player was 6'2" but yet she and Aliyah were on the perimeter catching the ball. She hits the floor more than the basketball and I cringe expecting a broken finger or arm. She should have developed more moves in the low post by now other than the up and under. She was constantly put in switches on the perimeter and was taken baseline
Audrey was non-existent. and wasn't a factor which is surprising since she is our most athletic player
Ducharme played like she still had a concussion.
Patterson the one time she could have made a layup right before the end of the first QTR she picked the ball up on the side of the right free throw lane and passed it. She doesn't even look to score.

We need more speed, athleticism and playmakers. Dorka, Lou, Caroline even Nika are slow and are liabilities defensively. When you need a basket someone has to step up and make a shot and when Lou is doubled or can't get the ball we are doomed. Geno likes to recruit a certain type of player and that worked 10-15 years ago but it doesn't now. Everyone plays the same way we do now and have just as good or better talent.
We aren't even going to win the Big East tourney.
Still see no mention of Azzi. I think has been given a gag order not to talk about her injury. No podcast or anything. Why should she have some incentive to come back to this?
TYFYIIUCWBB. Parents, recruits, and even players sometimes read the BY.

Reaction Score
Caroline played like she was still dizzy from the concussion. She missed badly on three critical shots down the stretch.
TBH...surprised that she was playing so much. I thought considering the schedule, that Griffin had been playing well and to maintain offensive chemistry she would be eased back into the fold. It also worries me that even with slight contact she is slow to get up and needs to be iced. I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't look like "ready" to me. Having said that...I think mental focus versus physical fatigue is the obstacle right now. They seem to be playing at the level of the competition. That's a sign of thinking you can "turn it off and on" with the least amount of effort. Hopefully, they realize that the margin for error is slim no matter what team they are playing. Bad loss, but hardly the end of the world.

Reaction Score
Despite missing the little short jumper, I thought Deberry played well. She isn't the only player to shoot an airball. Someone put a Twitter link of the warmups on here yesterday. Deberry has a beautiful midrange jumper. She couldn't miss. Tells me she needs to relax and get out of her own head.

Reaction Score
No excuses from me. I just did not see this coming - at home. We are what we are. Did not see the game…layups?

Reaction Score
You're kidding right? To me it looked like the opposite of a box and 1 with Deberry standing in the paint waving her arms while the other 4 kids were trying to guard St. John 4 on 5. I'm not dumping on DeBerry, UConn is not a good zone defense team. Never has been. Usually UConn is very good on switching in man-to-man defense. UConn seems to go zone when Deberry is in the game. It doesn't work. Then again, a lot of things didn't work tonight like shots less than 6 feet from the hoop and being able to actually catch a basketball. Maybe not a lot of turnovers, but each one was incredibly stupid unfortunate for a (previously) #1 seed.

We don't want the kids to get down on themselves, we shouldn't either. It ain't over.

A further thought, the problems are bigger than 1 player like Azzi coming back. To expect that UConn is suddenly in the land of milk and honey with Azzi is unrealistic and unfair. We know they can play excellent basketball even without Azzi. They just need to rediscover how to do it.
I'm not promoting more use of Deberry, just noting (I was at the game) that she blocked shots on two of the three defensive possessions that they were in that configuration. I've seen Uconn use zone effectively in certain situations, although zone is not there thing, as you say. My main point was that having a limited roster is not is not a determinant of when you use zone.

Reaction Score
Patterson and DeBerry played 2 minutes a piece all game?!? That shows how much Geno thinks of them as contributors. Disappointed in their lack of progress, especially with AP.
I have been disappointed in their lack of progress all season but Amari showed some progress last night. She wasn’t afraid to mix it up under the basket and had a terrific block in the limited time she played. Let’s hope that continues in practice.

Reaction Score
this is the type of game Ines shoulda gotten some playing time, I heard all season well maybe they're not ready to play, Deberry another, they might lose the game if they come in, well they lost and hardly any of those play and now on top we don't know how they would have done had they gotten the playing time in the past.
Ines is reasonably pretty competent with the ball but hasn't reached a comfort level as far trying to put up points. the way these games have played out recently, points are crucial. It is hard to sub out somebody that might give you points for somebody that almost certainly won't

Reaction Score
This game is 192-47 at full strength.

UConn is just exhausted. They’re able to extend themselves in big matchups, but it leaves them with no legs in the next game.

They’re not machines - they’re just tired.
Seems that CD should not be out on the court. She's still suffering from effects of the latest concussion, and, as per Hearst Connecticut article, she feels light-headed, and get migraines and neck pain which she attributes to previous concussion. 1 for 11 shooting is not CD. We desperately need her on the court. But seems she needs to recover her health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom