St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I rewatched the St John and South Carolina games to see if I could see any difference in a game were UConn played a top notch seeded team vs a lower seeded team. I think what I saw was a team with swagger, against South Carolina, and a team with doubt vs St John. Now the question is how does UConn get that swagger back, hopefully Geno can find the answer before the tournaments start.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Damn, I thought I had adapted to this year of the dog bite, but this one really stung. It confirmed for me that our Huskies are worn down, at least mentally. It is a huge warning sign for the Big East and the NCAA, not that we haven't had several. Other teams say "just wait 'til next year" but I'm afraid that is where our beloved dog bit Huskies are.

Reaction Score
With all the comments about Azzi coming back and solving the TO problem or scoring problem or whatever problem is happening, IMHO the reality is more complex. As we don’t know the details of her injury, there’s no guarantee of how and what she can contribute. There are probably quite a few of us here that have had knee injuries, and it was daunting without being a D1 athlete. She might be feeling the pressure of not being able to help right now and forcing unrealistic expectations will not help anything.

Honestly I think at this point everyone, including her teammates & coaches, should forget about Azzi coming back this season. Let her continue her rehab in peace- this business of everyone constantly asking "when is Azzi coming back?" has to be wearing on her too. It is too late in the season for her to make a significant impact- even if she was fully healthy she hasn't played in a long time & there's not enough time left for her to shake off all that rust to be a factor in the BE & NCAA tournaments.

Reaction Score
Geno in the post game saying this might be the worst team at getting a 3pt play the old fashioned way. Struggle to drive to the basket and get to the line. Is it the lack of practice? Just a lack of toughness? Fear of getting a charging call? All three? (Probably.)

I'm leaning towards the second question. With the exception of AE none of our forwards is really aggressive on the inside, they all want to stand outside & shoot 3s it seems. I can understand Caroline being reluctant because of her lingering concussion/neck issues but that doesn't fly with Dorka & Aubrey, Dorka especially. I said it last year after the NC game against SC, when one of your guards (Nika in that instance) is your leading rebounder you've got a problem, it means your bigs don't want to go inside. This is true of scoring too IMO.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
One of the clearest indications of fatigue is Aaliyah, who had been playing at an AA level, shooting nearly 60% from the floor. Lately she’s missing bunnies and front-rimming jumpers, a pretty clear sign of tired legs.
Aaliyah played really good defense vs Siegrist on Saturday. Defending a player like MS for most of the game forces you to be locked in 100% both mentally and physically. With all the minutes she's played this season, some of her stats right now are not surprising.

Reaction Score
Maybe Auriemma should look a bit in the mirror. It is a coaches job to have a team ready to play. So they went from courageous warriors to bums in a single game? Classless, unwarranted remarks IMO. Seems he chose the low road like many of Uconn’s “fans”.
And I am not buying the psychology angle, the team has been stand up all year, no reason to run games on them.
Let's not call it the "psychology angle" anymore, although I understand your intent. As a psychologist I can tell you that the main focus of most, if not all, work with an individual today comes from a place of positivity and building an individual up, not tearing her down. Reverse psychology may have worked in the past, but I see a lot of tired and dejected faces on this team, and reverse psychology runs the risk of destroying whatever confidence may be left, especially if one feels the individual(s) she looks up to no longer has faith in her. Is UCONN a team of "people-pleasers" who are going to rise to the occasion just to prove a coach wrong? I guess we'll see, but I doubt it. This season has been a grind that no one bargained for, and it certainly showed last night. I'm hopeful for a bounce back in the remaining games, but my tournament expectations are more measured than before, my own coping mechanism.

Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey has just as short a bench at LSU, she's making it work. Geno needs to step it up and coach this team.
If you have the right bench pieces it can work as evidenced by Kim at LSU but for most teams having seven possible starters is beyond reality this late in an injury induced season.

Reaction Score
Last night was interesting.

Parity - everyone wanted better competition until it's here. It's here.
St. John's played a better game, and their shots fell.
Then we come here and assign blame.

I'm looking forward to seeing if this team can truly bounce back and make a run in the postseason.
Either way their health is more important.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Honestly I think at this point everyone, including her teammates & coaches, should forget about Azzi coming back this season. Let her continue her rehab in peace- this business of everyone constantly asking "when is Azzi coming back?" has to be wearing on her too. It is too late in the season for her to make a significant impact- even if she was fully healthy she hasn't played in a long time & there's not enough time left for her to shake off all that rust to be a factor in the BE & NCAA tournaments.
I would hope Azzi knows where things stand with her injury. She knows if she's coming back or not. There aren't any questions directed to Azzi, the coaches or players as far as I can tell. Not one question to Geno last night and no questions about Azzi after the Villanova game. The questions are on this board.

Paige returned last season on February 25th (12 minutes) and hadn't played since early December while Azzi did practice and play in January. Paige played 13 minutes in the final regular season game and played limited and mostly ineffective minutes in the final 2 games of the BET. Paige's presence no doubt lifted the team emotionally but her on-court impact wasn't felt until the NCAAT.

I have no idea if Azzi will return this season but coming back and getting minutes in the BET could still lead to a productive NCAAT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would hope Azzi knows where things stand with her injury. She knows if she's coming back or not. There aren't any questions directed to Azzi, the coaches or players as far as I can tell. Not one question to Geno last night and no questions about Azzi after the Villanova game. The questions are on this board.

Paige returned last season on February 25th (12 minutes) and hadn't played since early December while Azzi did practice and play in January. Paige played 13 minutes in the final regular season game and played limited and mostly ineffective minutes in the final 2 games of the BET. Paige's presence no doubt lifted the team emotionally but her on-court impact wasn't felt until the NCAAT.

I have no idea if Azzi will return this season but coming back and getting minutes in the BET could still lead to a productive NCAAT.
A similar situation occurred during the 2016-17 season when Kia Nurse suffered a severe high ankle sprain late in the season, causing her to miss approximately 3 weeks. She came back to play limited minutes during the AAC tournament and then exploded during the Big Dance, setting the tournament record for made 3-pt shots in only 5 games. I think everyone still remembers her game against Syracuse when Kia hit 9 of 12 shots from the arc.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She doesn't do it enough for other defenses to even take notice. Untill this becomes the norm, they'll let her shoot all day..
But I was commenting on Nika's performance against St. John's, not her season or career - which I don't have a problem with!

Reaction Score
UConn recruits the kids that usually can handle the pressure. We got lucky on a grad transfer or we could have been a 500 team this year. We may have ( I hope not ) missed on some recruits - Ayanna - Amari and Ines.
They could not really perform when it was next player up. Top 25 players can be hit or miss in the UConn program.
A bit premature to say we might have missed with Ines, especially, but Ayanna, too, and even Amari, don't you think?

Reaction Score
Not much to add. UConn teams usually peak this time of year. This team is regressing. Don't know why, but the inability to generate any kind of transition offense is a big part of it. It looks to me like they are all playing tight and as a result, nothing is coming easily. Playing not to lose rather than playing to win. It's not working.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This team has had their spirits broken, and I don't know there is a fix this season. Praying that Azzi coming back (maybe) could help (possibly). Frustrating for everyone I'm sure.
I’m also in LA for another few days and didn’t see the game. But it seems to me a bit of an overreaction to say their spirit is broken because they lost a game and had a few other close ones. Tired maybe, but geez, if their spirit is so easily broken because a few players can‘t finish plays in one game, i don’t know. It’s only basketball.

Reaction Score
I thought Nika and Lou played exceptional tonight but had no help. Nika was shutting her player down until Nika got screened off then no one would pick her up or did so too late. Nika looked very frustrated thru out the game with our flimsy defense. She also could have had about 13 assists if Dorka and Aaliyah and even Carolyn could catch the ball or make the layup.
Its not that we are tired physically. Its we are not sharp mentally. The desire is lacking.
You watched a different Nika last night than I did... I saw the St. John's players driving by her with regularity and, other than hitting three 3s, her offense was ineffectual.

Much of her touted 'high energy' seems to be directed more often at the officials than her own performance.

Reaction Score
We just strongly disagree on his motivations, is that too hard for you to understand?

BTW, I didn't hear his exact comments. Did he actually use the words "Bums"? Because I doubt it.
No that was my word but why am I not surprised you called me out without knowing what was said? And personally, I don’t care one iota what his motivations were, I never commented on them and frankly I am certain it was not meant to be mean spirited for the sake of being mean spirited; that doesn’t change my opinion of what he said that same one iota. Those ladies have gone above and beyond all season, for the program, for the coaching staff, for themselves and for their teammates that can’t play. He is a great coach but he is far from infallible.
And to add, I think far less of the “fans” who rip the teams effort; who cherry pick what players to point fingers at and blame when things don’t go according to their ridiculously unfair expectations.

Reaction Score
If one never played D1 athletics with the responsibility of academics, and add the pressure of playing for a program like UConn, perhaps the concept of the team being both physically and mentally exhausted is beyond comprehension for some.

Expectations of perfection and infallibility with these young adults is unrealistic. That’s how I see it.
Not looking for infallibility, face it, the two players that were supposed to be 30-40 minute players on this team were Nika and Edwards. Every other player was supposed to be a 15-20 minute roll player, including Lou. (Again I go back to UConn traditionally only plays 7 deep) The injuries have forced the roll players to be 30-40 minute players and that's not their day in and day out bailiwick. I agree with the poster that said in all actuality we are a barely a top 10 team. Two of the teams under us beat us remember. I have followed this team before Geno even was the coach there so I think I can speak my mind on this.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I beleive you're right--but it wasn't the number of TOs, they were just so untimely... AE lets a soft pass trickle throught her fingers, the 3 on 1 that we had and instead of AE passing to a wide-open Aubrey, she goes up and gets her shot blocked. The TOs were momentum-breakers at key parts of the game.
I asked this question in the Chat but didn't see any reply...if a player has their shot blocked, is it a TO in addition to being a missed shot? (This ? is not directed at tchalla1 specifically.)

Reaction Score
With all the comments about Azzi coming back and solving the TO problem or scoring problem or whatever problem is happening, IMHO the reality is more complex. As we don’t know the details of her injury, there’s no guarantee of how and what she can contribute. There are probably quite a few of us here that have had knee injuries, and it was daunting without being a D1 athlete. She might be feeling the pressure of not being able to help right now and forcing unrealistic expectations will not help anything.
At this point, sit her for the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
Good thing we have DePaul up next. If we are as "tired" as people are saying, what better team to test our mentally and physically tired players against. Y'all have made some great comments & some interesting comments.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Azzi herself publicly stated that she will be back before March. This was said before Caroline returned to play in the Creighton game. So....

Reaction Score
I asked this question in the Chat but didn't see any reply...if a player has their shot blocked, is it a TO in addition to being a missed shot? (This ? is not directed at tchalla1 specifically.)
It is considered a shot attempt and not a turnover. But if a player were to attempt to shoot and is rising up to shoot and, on the way, up with the ball the shooter is stripped by the defense then this would be considered a turnover and a steal awarded to the defender.

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom