St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm still processing just how bad Newton is. Year 5 under Hurley and we still haven't found a real point guard.
What about RJ Cole? He was pretty good for two years, no?

But I do agree, Newton is not the guy I thought he'd be and right now we are screwed at the PG position until someone steps up, if at all.

Great UConn teams have a dog at PG and Newton isn't a dog.

Reaction Score
Down by 6 in the middle of the second half and the guys gave up. They crack under pressure.

The beginning of the season all shots fell and our ball movement was intentional and surgical (now not seen in the last 5 games). With the made shots we ran the score up so we never were truly worried, guys played with confidence. We were stopping runs by the other teams by making smart plays and hitting shots. We never had our backs truly up against the wall.

We become desperate when only down by a possession or two. It feels like we miss our open shots we freak out and turn to sloppy passes and quick out of rhythm shots. When they don’t drop, our team gives up. You can see it on their faces.

It did seem like Jordan had a look in his eyes, that I haven’t seen yet. He took smart shots and when he came off the screen and didn’t have the space he took it to the basket.

Our “big three” need to play smart and lead by example, sanogo needs to pass out of doubles and Jackson needs to slow down and limit turnovers like when we were undefeated. It feels like two of the three have played poorly in all of our losses

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I was out and have the game on tape but went to the chat just to check near the end. It was quite toxic over there understandably. I now don’t want to watch the tape but can someone just briefly explain how this went that badly? Once down, playing tight?
It was the same as the rest of the losses. Bad on ball defense and no ability to dribble penetrate or get quick baskets. We start our offense 30 ft from the basket with our point guard dribbling with his back to the basket. There was so much bad it’s tough to even pick a few things out.

Reaction Score
We can nix any talk about members of this team being ready for the NBA. Only one somewhat close is Hawk and he has no driving game.
Funny you point that out when he actually drove the ball well this game. It was his best game driving the ball all season.

Reaction Score
I know offense is sexier than defense, but I hope the coaching staff realizes that this team is going nowhere unless it significantly improves defense down the stretch or it is going to have mediocre results down the stretch. Honestly, I am not sure they have the parts to play great defense - certainly not man to man. I think a 2-3 zone should be considered and played a good 15 minutes a game. It will protect our players who foul 1v1 too much and protect against the fact that Sanogo is not a physical deterrent at the rim and that Donovan is still green defensively but could be a great accumulator of rebounds in a zone.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What about RJ Cole? He was pretty good for two years, no?

But I do agree, Newton is not the guy I thought he'd be and right now we are screwed at the PG position until someone steps up, if at all.

Great UConn teams have a dog at PG and Newton isn't a dog.
I’m fine with Newton if Hurley allows him to drive.

Reaction Score
I have thought this before today. Did we have a game plan today? Or is the plan let’s run our stuff, play tough defense and we should be ok? Because if we had a game plan we certainly did not execute it.

Reaction Score
I said at the beginning of the season, the only thing that matters to me is the BET and the NCAAT, and I'm sticking by that. But I'm not feeling very good right now.
Yup, and I've seen enough from these clowns now. I'll tune in again when we get there.

Reaction Score
He was 5'11 SG, really. Combo guard, I'd relent.
Lol! Wel he played the PG admirably for us and at least he could drive and played better perimeter d than what we have at PG now.

Reaction Score
We have to accept that we need changes
Again I think playing two bigs and playing a bit more methodical might be in our best interest
We simply don’t have the cogs to play 1/1 basketball. We need to get the games slower paced and force teams away from the basket on the D.

Reaction Score
Not even sure what we are doing on offense. We just got blown out by a mediocre St. John’s team.

1. Time for Clingan to start. Sanogo has regressed significantly.

2. Alleyne has no purpose in the rotation. He can’t shoot.

3. Have to press a lot more.
You're calling for Clingan to start after he posts a stat line of 0 points, 5 boards, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in limited minutes? Sanogo was not even remotely the problem today.

Reaction Score
There were some bad calls on screens but that is not why we lost. Our team is flawed -1) NO PG and one isn't coming through the door anytime soon. 2) Over rated outside shooters coming into the year, 3) Can't stop dribble penetration. What we have is length - need to change our defense to take advantage of that.. Also DC is a very good passer. You can play both Sanogo and him together if you go 2-3 zone. Let defenses have to adjust to us.

Reaction Score
It was tied at the half. Everyone knows Clingan changes the game in a huge way. Yes, they stink without Clingan. With him? maybe it's a game. Maybe.
Sure. And Clingan was available for the entire second half. When they were outscored by 10

Reaction Score
We have to accept that we need changes
Again I think playing two bigs and playing a bit more methodical might be in our best interest
We simply don’t have the cogs to play 1/1 basketball. We need to get the games slower paced and force teams away from the basket on the D.
Yeah we don't have the shooters to play 4 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom