South Carolina @ Georgia | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina @ Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Later in the game the announcers put up a chart which picked SC as having the better front court. IMO the SEC is about to learn that there is more to playing the 3, 4 & 5 than broad shoulders and height.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Why is there so much dislike for the SEC on this board? The league is definitely tough! I've watched a lot of WCBK games over the years and you can really tell the SEC is just "different" than other leagues. Its more physical, almost every team has something they're good at that you have to worry about. Yea you can say....."they haven't been to a FF since 2008"...but before LSU and Tenn were pretty consistent getting to the FF. But that is the past! I'm not being biased here at all btw...I enjoy women's basketball in general and get to watch it a lot...everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but the SEC isn't chopped liver like some here make it out to be.

I really dont count, but I've disliked the SEC as a whole (except for Vandy) for many many years. Of course I was born and raised in ACC country, so that's one of the major reasons for my dislike. I will admit that the SEC is an historically tough and balanced league, and Ive enjoyed watching some of their games over the years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The media hypes the SEC because the conference is good or great in most sports. Through the years, the SEC has been arguably the best overall WBB and Football conference, one of the top 2 baseball conferences and has the all-time winningest MBB program. In WBB, the SEC hasn't been at the top for the last half dozen years, but still has had a number of good teams. Success aside; other than Vandy and the 2 Mississippi schools, the other schools in the SEC all some of the largest fan bases in the country and, let's face it, announcers, ESPN, etc. are in business to make money. Fans watching on TV = money in their pockets. Right or wrong, announcers do play to their audience.

Ahem: the media never hypes; the media HYPE. ;)

And for the record, the media hype the SEC because ESPN has invested heavily in it. Meanwhile, the Sun Belt has grown in population, increasing the market value of many areas around the SEC.

I don't really resent espn's hyping of the league in WCBB. I do however, resent their horrific hyping of unsavory folks like Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and Johnny Manziel.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

And for the record, the media hype the SEC because ESPN has invested heavily in it. Meanwhile, the Sun Belt has grown in population, increasing the market value of many areas around the SEC.

I don't really resent espn's hyping of the league in WCBB. I do however, resent their horrific hyping of unsavory folks like Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and Johnny Manziel.

Yes, definitely. I'm a business grad and was not an English major. Nevertheless, an error I shouldn't have made.

You and I are in agreement. I absolutely loathe Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel. I also loathe anything cloaked in orange.

Reaction Score
#1-ranked USC beats #22 UGA 58-35 to improve to 22-0 and 10-0 in league play. The win ends an 18-game win streak for the Bulldogs (17-6, 5-5) in Stegeman Coliseum. True freshman PG Bianca Cuevas leads the Gamecocks in scoring for the 2nd consecutive game with 16 pts. Cuevas has really come on in recent games and appears to have her confidence at it's highest level yet. She's averaged 11.6 ppg in the last 5 games including tonight, and has solidified her position as USC's #2 PG after veteran Khadijah Sessions...
That little guard is playing very well had has a bright future.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
SC has had 18 and 19 turnovers the past couple of games. That does not fair well against a very quick UConn team. After seeing SC score 58 pts against Georgia I might think they would slow down the game against UConn. That may keep them in the game for awhile. If UConn goes on a run that will change everything. I do think SC will try to go inside and use their height and I also think UConn will go inside using their height and quickness. The bottom line is UConns defense is second to none and it will win out. UConn will make life tuff for Tiffany and Bianca getting the ball inside. I still say UConn by 20+. Hey how many games against top teams does UConn not win by 20+? Just sayin. SC is big and so is UConn. UConn takes care of the ball and SC hasn't. UConn has 5 3 pt shooters and SC cant match them. Come on guys relax.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hey, c'mon. Tebow is definitely peculiar, but "unsavory"? Actually, he is savory to a fault. Manziel and Newton, not so much. Not at all, in fact. From what I read.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why is there so much dislike for the SEC on this board?
Really? You have to ask? Well for starters TN and S. Carolina are in it. That's a plenty good reason right there.

Oh and you can add in Vandy now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, it's Coach Dawn's way of getting her players focused: Geno calls out his players in the press, and Dawn suspends her players for a game. Alaina will be seething and chewing nails come Monday....night
FYP

No doubt

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Really? You have to ask? Well for starters TN and S. Carolina are in it. That's a plenty good reason right there.

Oh and you can add in Vandy now.
What's to dislike about South Carolina, other than that they have a good team that can challenge UConn? Dawn is a very good coach, and as far as we've heard, she and Geno get along fine. If she actually succeeds in beating Geno, I'm not sure that will continue to be the case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paraphrasing, but Peck thinks that South Carolina can beat uconn because they are focused, have a strong bench and play great defense. She also mentioned that South Carolina shoots 49% FG and if they do all that, they can win.
Hmmn somebody's still upset about losing her studio analyst gig to Rebecca....

Reaction Score
Paraphrasing, but Peck thinks that South Carolina can beat uconn because they are focused, have a strong bench and play great defense. She also mentioned that South Carolina shoots 49% FG and if they do all that, they can win.
Better watch out! 8-O

Upset City, Baby!!!

Reaction Score
That little guard is playing very well had has a bright future.

Bright future... I like her spunk but she'll have to improve her weak hand. She drive too heavily to her strong side.

Reaction Score

I understand how you can resent the hyping, but though I am not a fan of Tim Tebow, I don't see how you can call him "unsavory" or put him in the same category as Manziel in that regard.

Reaction Score
Georgia IS 7th in scoring defense; it's not like they haven't played good defense this season.

For starters, scoring defense is one of those stats that needs to be examined closely and not just taken at face value. I remember a few years ago when Utah was number one or two almost every year, but no one seriously argued that they were one of the best defensive teams in the country...same could be said for a lot of the Villanova teams...their points allowed had a lot more to do with their deliberate style offensively than it did with their defense and that is often the case. I can tell you for certain that the Georgia team that SC played last night was not the 7th best defense in the country. In fact, the Georgia team that played last night is probably not a top 50 team. When you realize that they were missing two of their top three scorers and their two best rebounders from a team that wasn't, frankly, a top team to begin with it's not hard to see why. Keep in mind that Georgia got thumped by Seton Hall back when they had their full roster...a Seton Hall team that is 44th in Sagarin and 24th in Massey ratings...a solid team but not an outstanding one. Georgia also had close wins against Furman, TCU and a dreadful Georgia Tech team. Even their win over MSU, which at the time looked like a good win, turns out to be a phantom since MSU has turned out to be a pretty weak team after all. Andy Landers is practically famous for pulling the same shtick every year...he fattens up the record by playing a lot of poor to middling teams at the start...often starting the year 11-0 or 12-0...to pump up their ranking and then gradually they slide down.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
USC's own scoring defense isn't exactly terrible. UConn has played against 9 opponents with scoring defenses ranked in the top 200, compared to USC having faced 16 opponents with top-200 scoring defenses. The Gamecocks have gone up against only 6 opponents who fell from 201-on in scoring defense rankings, compared to the Huskies facing 13 opponents with such poor defenses.

And while how well a team keeps it's opponents scores low can depend highly on the quality of opponents that team plays, UConn has played against 15 opponents with SOSs ranked in the top 100, 5 in the top 200, and 2 outside of the top 200. USC has played 17 opponents in the top 100, 3 in the top 200, and 2 outside of the top 200 as well.

So UConn plays against the lesser scoring defenses compared to USC, and against a slightly but definite lesser quality list of opponents than USC has played. Further when you add in that UConn has played it's starters more minutes per game in those games than what USC has played, and that UConn has the more experienced and older roster, the difference in scoring offenses makes more sense.

The best-ranked scoring defense UConn has faced this season prior to USC was St. John's who currently has the 32nd-ranked scoring D. Better than Stanford's (96th), Duke's (47th), and Notre Dame's (104th). St. Johns also has a fairly decent SOS at 83rd, meaning that they played that great defense against a solid lineup of opponents. They held UConn to their lowest point total of the season at 70 pts.

USC will bring a much better scoring D that it built against a much better quality of opponent to Storrs this Monday: The Gamecocks haven't faced a #1-ranked scoring D yet this season, but they have played against some pretty solid scoring Ds owned by teams that have gotten theirs against better competition that UConn has faced. So we'll see.....
Here are the facts. If Geno didn't pull back and call off the press and fast break and zone defense and in many games clear the bench UConn would win by more and hold opponents to less. SC head to head with UConn imo will lose no matter what and most likely UConn will at some point be up 20 or more points. Im not arrogant btw Im stating this because I believe it. SC is not an AAC team I know that. Yes some of UCOnns numbers are inflated because the AAC is weak. SC lacks good ball handlers, quickness, outside shooting. UConn is much better in all areas. You have no idea what it will be like going up again UConn. SC is a good team, last season so was Duke Ohio ST Maryland Penn ST and Stanford and with KML and Tuck hurt on the bench and most of those games on the road UConn beat them easily. This season UConn has 5 prolific scorers who can shoot the trey and handle the ball. UConn doesn't make many turnovers against top teams. SC does. I don't see SC coming close in this game unless UConn as a team is in foul trouble or injured and I hope the refs let them play and fouls for either team don't come into play. All your stats are great but imo do not apply to this game because Geno will not clear the bench early and will not let up unless the game is out of hand. You don't know how good this UConn team is. Im sure you've seen what they do to good teams like SC. Do you think you height and depth will be the difference? UConn has height and depth. Let me finsh by saying Stewart was NPOY 2 years straight, KML was number 1 out of HS, MoJeff was ranked 1 & 2 out of HS, Morgan Tuck was ranked number 1 in HS until she got hurt and Kia Nurse played on the Olympic team since she was 17yrs old. That's tuff to defend. Bottom line as I keep saying I don't see SC scoring over 60 pts against UConn unless Geno lets up and calls off the dogs and I don't see SC keeping UConn under 70.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
For starters, scoring defense is one of those stats that needs to be examined closely and not just taken at face value. I remember a few years ago when Utah was number one or two almost every year, but no one seriously argued that they were one of the best defensive teams in the country...same could be said for a lot of the Villanova teams...their points allowed had a lot more to do with their deliberate style offensively than it did with their defense and that is often the case. I can tell you for certain that the Georgia team that SC played last night was not the 7th best defense in the country. In fact, the Georgia team that played last night is probably not a top 50 team. When you realize that they were missing two of their top three scorers and their two best rebounders from a team that wasn't, frankly, a top team to begin with it's not hard to see why. Keep in mind that Georgia got thumped by Seton Hall back when they had their full roster...a Seton Hall team that is 44th in Sagarin and 24th in Massey ratings...a solid team but not an outstanding one. Georgia also had close wins against Furman, TCU and a dreadful Georgia Tech team. Even their win over MSU, which at the time looked like a good win, turns out to be a phantom since MSU has turned out to be a pretty weak team after all. Andy Landers is practically famous for pulling the same shtick every year...he fattens up the record by playing a lot of poor to middling teams at the start...often starting the year 11-0 or 12-0...to pump up their ranking and then gradually they slide down.

I always thought Andy became famous from starring in Brylcream commercials?

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I shudder to remember the shockingly unflattering things they used to call poor Andy over on the Summitt.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I shudder to remember the shockingly unflattering things they used to call poor Andy over on the Summitt.

I never visit the Summitt, so I don't know what they used to call him. I do visit Vol Nation on occasion.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I never visit the Summitt, so I don't know what they used to call him. I do visit Vol Nation on occasion.
I don't visit the Summitt anymore. It was a cesspool and that's a compliment believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom