Sorta OT- was perusing UNL board and came across UConn Chatter | The Boneyard

Sorta OT- was perusing UNL board and came across UConn Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
wow aside from that one poster the Uconn mentions were mostly positive.... could the perception be changing?

Reaction Score
wow aside from that one poster the Uconn mentions were mostly positive.... could the perception be changing?
Well, one guy mentions that he saw on Twitter the number of UConn players in the NFL. Also knowing about Hockey East, soccer, field hockey, etc. Clearly Dooley's work is getting around and the word is getting out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
None of those guys know anything but it is refreshing to see general acceptance that UConn is a P5 level school and belongs. Even if you can argue over basketball with KU, none of them thought UConn didn't belong in the overall conversation.

Reaction Score
Good find. Not that it means much, but it good to see some good chatter out there about our Huskies. There are a lot of trolls in the Twitter verse that put out a lot of misinformation about UConn to make their school look like a better choice for a P5 league.

Reaction Score
Good find. Not that it means much, but it good to see some good chatter out there about our Huskies. There are a lot of trolls in the Twitter verse that put out a lot of misinformation about UConn to make their school look like a better choice for a P5 league.
As they say, any publicity is good publicity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Add that to Kansas' Basketball program, which is decidedly ahead of UConn's"

In what universe? More work to do, but clearly @Dooley has begun to have an impact in changing national perception among the unwashed. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Reaction Score

In what universe? More work to do, but clearly @Dooley has begun to have an impact in changing national perception among the unwashed. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Let's not be idiots about this. We have one of the top basketball programs, but Kansas's program is above ours. They're a top team nearly every year. We can pretend that championships are the only thing that matters, but it's pretty clear that no one else thinks that way. You guys just embarrass us when you go out there and try to say that UConn is a better basketball program than Kansas.

CL82

Reaction Score
Let's not be idiots about this. We have one of the top basketball programs, but Kansas's program is above ours. They're a top team nearly every year. We can pretend that championships are the only thing that matters, but it's pretty clear that no one else thinks that way. You guys just embarrass us when you go out there and try to say that UConn is a better basketball program than Kansas.
Or do you "embarrass us" when you whine that we aren't?

Championships absolutely matter, and they matter an awful lot. You've heard of a little thing called March Madness right? That's about being the best in March, regardless of the February rankings. Kansas is a great program but in the last 20 years, we've won 4 NCs to their 1. You may have heard this before but 4>1.

Reaction Score
Or do you "embarrass us" when you whine that we aren't?

Championships absolutely matter, and they matter an awful lot. You've heard of a little thing called March Madness right? That's about being the best in March, regardless of the February rankings. Kansas is a great program but in the last 20 years, we've won 4 NCs to their 1. You may have heard this before but 4>1.

I didn't say championships don't matter. I said they aren't the only thing that matters, and championships are the only metric by which we can be considered better than Kansas, and that only barely. Now do you have anything of substance to say? Want to tell me how you have ten toes in and bleed blue?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Here's a test, would you prefer 1,000,000 conference titles or 1 national title? They are all that matters.

Reaction Score
Here's a test, would you prefer 1,000,000 conference titles or 1 national title? They are all that matters.

I want sustained success, leading to more success down the road. Put another way, would you rather be an Arizona fan or a San Francisco fan? So no, they aren't all that matters.

Reaction Score
Sports are about championships. No one gives a rat's ass about a team that went 99-1 and lost the championship. Championship matters. Recent championships matter than the ones from 50 years ago. UCONN vs. Kansas discussion is a legit discussion. No, we are not "embarrassing" ourselves lol.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The big 12 us overrated and has been for a long time. If a program can win a major conference 12 years in a row, then it isn't much of a conference.

KU is an excellent program but flames out far too often outside it's league and in the tournament. Duke, Kentucky, UConn is the post 1985 list. Legacy programs like UCLA, Indiana, and Kansas are the next tier. Time marches on, the Ottoman Empire was a pretty hot number back in the day too. Pretty sure the US has passed them.

Reaction Score

Say Kansas is slightly 'better' than UConn in men's hoops. OK fine. The football programs between the two are a wash for all intent. That leaves UConn with women's hoops, ice hockey, 2 solid soccer programs, etc. What else does Kansas have? Thus, from a TV content viewpoint, UConn is well ahead of Kansas overall.

Reaction Score
Say Kansas is slightly 'better' than UConn in men's hoops. OK fine. The football programs between the two are a wash for all intent. That leaves UConn with women's hoops, ice hockey, 2 solid soccer programs, etc. What else does Kansas have? Thus, from a TV content viewpoint, UConn is well ahead of Kansas overall.

Don't forget academics. That matters too.

Reaction Score
UConn spent the past couple decades winning in the Big East at MSG against extremely tough competition, a conference that sent 11 programs to the dance in one year. Kansas plays in, well, Kansas. The Big 12. I'm going out on a limb and putting UConn on equal footing, if not half a rung higher.

pj

Reaction Score
Don't forget academics. That matters too.

Academics are a wash, though Kansas is AAU which the B1G may value. Legacy AAU, and in reality no better than UConn, but AAC nevertheless.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I want sustained success, leading to more success down the road. Put another way, would you rather be an Arizona fan or a San Francisco fan? So no, they aren't all that matters.
Who wants to be #2? Syracuse apparently. This is the age old argument - would you want to win the regular season and flame out in the post season or be meh during the regular season and champs in the post season. Personally, I like winning the big one. More fun than saying, we won the conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
I didn't say championships don't matter. I said they aren't the only thing that matters, and championships are the only metric by which we can be considered better than Kansas, and that only barely. Now do you have anything of substance to say? Want to tell me how you have ten toes in and bleed blue?
"and that only barely, "

Seriously? In the last two decades 4 vs. 1.

Nice game day mojo a--wipe!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As long as our players don't rape anyone, overdose on drugs and have the administration shut down the program for being totally out of control I don't think we have to worry about turning out like USF. You realize that's why they left national prominence right? You think Kansas fans would trade their 12 straight big 12 titles for this's years national championship? Of course they would.

Reaction Score

When you have over a century of basketball history, and you produced 3 NCs, that's not something you brag about. Just ask Kansas fans.

Sustained success in the regular season in your conference does translate more success OOC on national stage.

A better question you should ask yourself, would you rather be an Orange or a Huskies fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom