"Something special taking place at UConn Football w transformational Coach Bob Diaco" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Something special taking place at UConn Football w transformational Coach Bob Diaco"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Coach Diaco is talking the talk but he's only crawled thus far. Fans have no idea if he's walking the walk because he hasn't been a head coach for a game that matters up to this point.

For what it's worth. I'm all in with Diaco. He could say we're all flying away on the Hale-Bopp Comet wearing Converse All-Stars and I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be fair, nobody said he's here as a favor I think you're overstating Pal's point. The guy seems to genuinely want to be here, and people are excited to see the culture change.
BD can sell ice to Eskimos. Of course he has sold UConn that it is where he wants to be. But, that's also why has some real leadership qualities, he can get people to buy into his world.

Reaction Score
What it is ain't exactly clear

It's becoming clearer.

I've probably mentioned it before but a lot of times when a new coach takes over a floundering program, he jettisons the experienced guys in favor of underclassmen in order to mold a new attitude and build for the future. It sends a message that the old ways need to be eradicated, he's taking control of the program and subtly that the sophs and juniors may have been to blame, or simply weren't good enough. Sometimes it works, but just as often you trash the entire first season and end up with the same results down the road.

Coach BD wants all the players to believe in themselves. He's not "blaming" anybody and he's brought in motivators to help him in that process of changing attitudes and expectations. So instead of having that sword hanging over their heads, he's instilling confidence and belief and new lifestyle changes. Until they prove otherwise they are being treated as men and athletes who are wanted and needed on this team. I believe this is what gives us the opportunity to be competitive (maybe not great) in year one and I think it's the right move from a player and fan perspective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm 10 toes in. I've bought the hype. This team has talent at the skill positions, talent on defense. And even when you have moderate talent (o-line?) 11 guys on the field working as one unit can overcome superior individuals. I think we win 7-8 games this year, and 10 within 3 years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My biggest fear already is that somebody is going to poach him very quickly. This guy is special. He is operating at a completely different level than we have ever seen.

I believe that this will be entirely on us, the fan base. Diaco has an idea of what we can become in football (from what he saw when UVA visited in 2008) but we need to support the football program now, before the positive results come in, as if we are winning eight, nine, ten games a year regularly. I believe that if we provide the support necessary to sustain a major football program everything will fall in place as currently that appears to be the one variable that we don't have solved. It also is the one variable that we have the most control over.

Reaction Score
Gotta like where the staff is pointing these kids...

@sheridenL44: Just had Dewey Bozella come talk to us about fear. Definitely a motivating story

http://www.greatertalent.com/deweybozella/

UConnFootball8:08am via TweetDeck
Tremendous privilege for #UCONNFootball to be able to hear the inspiring story of @DeweyBozella Friday night.pic.twitter.com/u7D18QTRca

DeweyBozella9:17am via Twitter for iPhone
@UConnFootball It was an honor meeting all of you too. Thanks for having me.Good luck this season and no matter what happens, NEVER give up!

Reaction Score
BD can sell ice to Eskimos. Of course he has sold UConn that it is where he wants to be. But, that's also why has some real leadership qualities, he can get people to buy into his world.

If he could only sell ice to the recruits, 2015 recruiting class currently #88 on rivals, I was hoping the all this buzz and hype would be bringing better results.

Reaction Score
If he could only sell ice to the recruits, 2015 recruiting class currently #88 on rivals, I was hoping the all this buzz and hype would be bringing better results.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
If it makes you feel any better, ESPN has us with 10 three star commits.

Sigh....

I had to look myself as well. You are correct. Not a bad number for August, for UConn that is. I don't care what anyone says, the kids coming in sound like team leaders. They sound like kids most parents would be proud to have as a son. They have size (height/weight combo) that can't be taught. Diaco won't let these kids quit. He won't let them give in and he surely won't let them give up on one another. A new era of UConn football is beginning. Believe it folks. What is a team without it's fans? They need us more than ever. Whether you can make it to a game in person, tune in on TV, the radio or the internet the support is needed. The University needs us, the football program needs us and the state needs UConn athletics. Enough of the negative attitudes. Quit rehashing the past. Look to the future. Have some optimism, hope and help these young men and coaches build this program to national recognition instead of the laughing stock of college football.

If you decide you want to be anything but supportive, please take your negativity somewhere else and don't bother watching.

Reaction Score

Just go look at the recruits tapes on Hudl and you'll feel a lot better.

Reaction Score
I'm 10 toes in. I've bought the hype. This team has talent at the skill positions, talent on defense. And even when you have moderate talent (o-line?) 11 guys on the field working as one unit can overcome superior individuals. I think we win 7-8 games this year, and 10 within 3 years.

You're an impulsive, cool-aid-drinking apologista!

(And I'm with you 100%)

Reaction Score

The star rating system has some merit but I like Bob Diaco's slant on it. Apparently it's not as big a deal in his evaluation system,

"The star rating is ridiculous, convoluted, non-essential for team building," he said. "It is a fan, money-making component, which I respect and I'm good on. I love the fact that football — high school, [youth] football, college football — gets more and more and more [publicity] and press and excitement. That's not a bad thing, but we're not going to do our business based on it. And whether one guy was a one-star, two-star, four-star, five-star is irrelevant to what our needs are."

It's all about the evaluation of players and then the development of those players that will determine success.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope he was innocent. I believe Ruben Carter was guilty and got away with murder.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the convicts that recanted their testimony against him for cash and reduced sentences were obviously more trustworthy than Carter's supposed accomplice who refused to testify against him in exchange for his release.

I suppose it's because they were white.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

Yeah, the convicts that recanted their testimony against him for cash and reduced sentences were obviously more trustworthy than Carter's supposed accomplice who refused to testify against him in exchange for his release.

I suppose it's because they were white.

Do we really have to take this thread that far off the rails?

Reaction Score
You're an impulsive, cool-aid-drinking apologista!

(And I'm with you 100%)

I never bought the "talent" complaints. We didn't go up two scores on Michigan by accident. We will be bowling this year.

Reaction Score
Ignore it... Don't take the bait. Self Control :)
You're right, of course, but some topics are hard to ignore. A man's life was ruined because he was black, with a troubled past, and a loud mouth. For some of us, it's hard to ignore comments like that.

If he said OJ got away with murder, this would have played out differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom