"Something special taking place at UConn Football w transformational Coach Bob Diaco" | The Boneyard

"Something special taking place at UConn Football w transformational Coach Bob Diaco"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@joeehrmann76: Headed to UConn 2 work w football team n coaches: Being on the Team vs Being a Teammate. Team=set of relationships for a cause=no bystanders

@UConnFootball: 127 People left Burton Complex better Men tonight thanks to the powerful message of @JoeEhrmann76 #UCONNFootball http://post original url/WqmY7HbYz3

@JoeEhrmann76: Something special taking place at UConn Football w transformational Coach Bob Diaco. Really enjoyed my time w players n coaches.

http://coachforamerica.com/

@CoachDCorleyJr: Great night for @UConnFootball We grew collectively & individually as MEN. @JoeEhrmann76 was outstanding! #UCONNMAN http://post original url/dkpxPwVdf1

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Diaco seems to be making all the right moves. I'm looking forward to seeing the impact on the field.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great move by the coach. I like the message: team unity. If UCONN is going to win games in 2014, it will be because they are willing (and wanting) to fight together, for each other. Take on a 2001 Patriots mentality that the name on the front of the jersey means more than the name on the back of it. I love it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL. Literally his next tweet is say hi to Randy. Go Terps.

Pure hilarity.

Reaction Score
With a younger head coach, who is a little more main stream with technology compared to his predecessor and the understanding that fans appreciate the interaction through social media, Diaco is doing a fantastic job creating some buzz around the program. Whether it is potential recruits, the casual fan or media, people are talking. I am hoping the on-field performance can match up with everything else we have seen thus far. I think we will see it eventually, question is how soon once the season starts?

Reaction Score
Diaco walks the walk and talks the talk...We will all witness an amazing transformation right before our eyes. I have to admit, I was
high on Pasqualoni in the beginning. Met him, like him. Coach P is a professional football coach with a great track record. Having said that, even if he went 7-5 every year, I don't think he was the right guy at the right time for UCONN. To really take it to a high level, we need a young intellegent, idealistic and energetic coach like Diaco. He is just what the doctor ordered for our sick football program.

So exciting to see things taking shape. T minus 24 days to BYU!!!

Reaction Score
Diaco is that guy...the guy who played at a high level (both competition and his performance) in college...then dove into the coaching ranks and worked his tail off to move up through the ranks. Then he coached at the highest level you can get in FBS football...the national championship game. He knows what it is like to wear the target on your back each and every day as not just an assistant coach but a coordinator at ND, where outside of the ND fan base everyone wants to see you fail...and teams buckle up their chinstraps that much tighter to play you. He knows what it takes to not only compete but be successful at the level this fan base wants UCONN football at. We will see the transformation before our eyes...already have with the physical conditioning/weight training aspect. Hopefully we will see the offense we all wanted when we were turning out backs who chewed up yards like crazy...a power running game that opens up a downfield passing game. His defense will be fun to watch.
My hope for the season: If we can make adjustments both in-game and at the half that will be one step to playing winning football. The strength and conditioning will put us in position to take another step. Last and not least the heart of the kids on the roster will be the 3rd step. If they all happen...7 even 8 wins isn't out of the question.

Reaction Score
The great and terrible thing about a true culture change is that it resonates for years to come. Even if Diaco stayed say 3 years, the culture of winning, taking care of your body, etc. stays with it. It's probably part of the reason many teams can stay on top even through coaching changes. Granted they have legacy and history to get recruits but they have a historical culture of winning. What BD is teaching eventually won't be the 110%, it will be the expectation for all.

Reaction Score
My biggest fear already is that somebody is going to poach him very quickly. This guy is special. He is operating at a completely different level than we have ever seen.

Don't worry and enjoy the ride! He hasn't coached a game yet. You could have worried about Calhoun too and look what we now have in Kevin Ollie. There are not a lot of 1.5 to 2 Million head coaching jobs out there. If he leaves we will get another good one. If he goes, he might be replaced by one of his assistants who know the system, like Poindexter, Brown or Lineberg!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My biggest fear already is that somebody is going to poach him very quickly. This guy is special. He is operating at a completely different level than we have ever seen.
I think it is more of a culture in the entire athletic dept. Expect to win. Do the right things, etc. Football is just the focus now. 3 NCs does that.

Reaction Score
You are what your record says you are. Diaco is 0-0. Pasqualoni said all the right things leading up to the season. But he didn't walk the walk. He may have produced great fathers. Does anyone want him back if he is a better producer of dads than Diaco?

I give Diaco the benefit of the doubt. He choose the Huskies. That says a lot. But I will judge him on wins and loses first and foremost.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like Diaco and I lean towards he's going to be good. I must have missed where he 'choosed the Huskies'. They were the only school that offered him a HC job.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
You are what your record says you are. Diaco is 0-0. Pasqualoni said all the right things leading up to the season. But he didn't walk the walk. He may have produced great fathers. Does anyone want him back if he is a better producer of dads than Diaco?

I give Diaco the benefit of the doubt. He choose the Huskies. That says a lot. But I will judge him on wins and loses first and foremost.
Agree with your first couple of points BUT, HCBD does not stand alone on this, or even with one lonely gumba like the prior HC (look it up if you must). The point not lost to this board but also not emphasized enough is the coaching staff that HCBD has surrounded himself with (and who flocked to his side). It's extraordinary given the circumstances. Some say "in HCBD I trust", and I do. But for me it's more like "in HCBD and his amici fedeli I trust". Sorry . . . had some Italian for dinner and was in the mood for a little more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Diaco and I lean towards he's going to be good. I must have missed where he 'choosed the Huskies'. They were the only school that offered him a HC job.
pretty sure he had a choice. ND didn't kick him out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
pretty sure he had a choice. ND didn't kick him out.

Yeah because making less than a quarter of the money as a coordinator is a choice.

Call me when someone turns down an 8 figure guarantee.

Again he is very impressive.. but he isn't here as a favor.

Reaction Score
Yeah because making less than a quarter of the money as a coordinator is a choice.

Again he is very impressive.. but he isn't here as a favor.

To be fair, nobody said he's here as a favor I think you're overstating Pal's point. The guy seems to genuinely want to be here, and people are excited to see the culture change.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be fair, nobody said he's here as a favor I think you're overstating Pal's point. The guy seems to genuinely want to be here, and people are excited to see the culture change.

Absolutely he is the best thing that has happened to the program in a long time. If he coaches as well as he communicates it will be a good run.

Maybe I'm overstating the point but he wanted to be a head coach and UConn was the only school who offered him the opportunity and they threw in 10 million. So I don't think we need to pretend that he picked us for some special reason. It's not like he declined the BC job last year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Narduzzi?

Reaction Score
Folks better be patient with this guy. This is his first HC gig and he is going to make some mistakes - including in game. Worrying about his leaving because of his enormous pending success is about the last thing on my mind.

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic. I like everything I'm hearing/reading to date. IMO, UConn will be prepared, will be physically and mentally ready with high energy. I'm going to wait to see how this translates throughout the weekends this fall though. Cannot wait to see actual in game adjustments again (missed those the past 3 seasons, although TJ did a decent job at the end), how the team responds to adversity, the emotion on the sideline in the 4th quarter when you give up a lead (flat and dejectied was the norm under PPGDL, it was disgusting. A lot of that falls on the players too, they need to be accountable, but it starts with the coach).

I think he will turn out to be a great hire and the right guy to get this program back to and beyond where it was 4 years ago, but that's going to take time and he's going to make mistakes along the way (and that's okay). The difference will be Diaco will learn/grow from his mistakes, where as PPGDL didn't even realize they were making mistakes so kept doing the same over and over.

Reaction Score
Folks better be patient with this guy. This is his first HC gig and he is going to make some mistakes - including in game. Worrying about his leaving because of his enormous pending success is about the last thing on my mind.
Worrying about his leaving before he has coached a game takes the bloom off of the rose. Why not just celebrate the culture change and upcoming season. Once we move to a P5 conference or become a P6 conference there will be plenty of green to keep him here. No Debbie downers or Energy Vampires allowed. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom