Someone is very wrong about Kia Nurse... | The Boneyard

Someone is very wrong about Kia Nurse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
kia nurse.jpeg

You know who you are...:rolleyes: Let me begin by reminding you Michael Jordan missed 12,345 field goal attempts. That is more than he made. He also committed 2,924 turnovers. I'm not saying Kia is anything like Mike, but the game of basketball is harder than it looks, on TV, from your couch, in your parents' basement. ;) Yes, I know Jordan was doubled teamed and the primary object of every defense. Then why did he miss 1,445 free throws when there was no defense? The game is hard to play perfectly..:eek:

1. Kia Nurse has started 74 of 77 games at UConn. Every single one was a win..!! :)
2. Geno, a fairly good judge of talent, played her 2,050 minutes over the last two years.
3. Nurse has made 104 three point baskets in two years. Her 3 pt % is 38.8%, Jordan's was 32.7%. :cool:
4. When she wasn't making threes, Kia shot 53.1% from inside the arc. (161-303)
5. In addition to her 753 points, #11 had 212 assists, 105 steals and 196 rebounds. All this in 2 years.

This past year, Geno played Kia 1,074 minutes and Stewie 1,077 minutes. Why do you think he did that? Nurse was the only player to start all 38 games last season. Can you say "durable, tough and gutsy"? Yes, she makes mistakes during games. All players do... :p

Go UConn, go Kia..!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great post as usual. Love Kia Nurse. No one works harder or is more intense. 100% effort every second she's on the court. Always moving. But like all terrific players, there are things she could improve on. I'm sure Geno has a better list, but to my untrained eyes, here's my suggestion:
  1. Work on being able to finish with her left hand. Because she does not currently have that skill, she has to contort her body when going in for a layup on the left side
  2. Work to make better decisions when driving to the basket - don't just put the head down and barrel thru, but keep the head up and decide if you have a clear lane, if you need to pass and avoid the foul, or if you need to stop/pop and hit the pull up jumper
Those are really the 2 most glaring things IMHO that she should work on. Just my $.02...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this in a new thread. I decided not to comment on the other thread because I did not wish to give the ridiculous original post more attention than it warranted.

Kia will be critical to UConn in the upcoming season -- she will be the most "seasoned" returning starter. As young as she looked (sometimes) on the Canadian Olympic team (and I thought she was perhaps their most effective player over the entire tournament), she will be just that "senior" on the UConn team. And we will see (in the context of WCBB rather than the Olympics) just how seasoned and durable she looks, and how well she leads.

My prediction is that she will take the helm and run the ship very successfully. I think she is ready to do that. That doesn't mean she will be at the Moriah level or even particularly close, but she will be at a level that is sufficient for UConn to have a very successful season. (I predict Final Four but not an NC.)

David, since you are into stats, I'm sure that many of us would be interested in a statistical comparison of Kia's sophomore stats against Moriah as a sophomore. I bet they are closer than some people think, including the A/TO ratio. (I don't know that -- it's just a prediction.)

Another point: Who, if not Kia, will be the secondary 3-point threat behind KLS on next year's team? If opponents run a box-and-one against Lou, where will the secondary perimeter scoring come from? It won't be Gabby or Napheesa -- they aren't 3-point artists at all. It certainly won't be Natalie. Are we expecting Saniya, Crystal, or Molly to come off the bench and save the day? That seems like wishful thinking to me.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Can someone kill that other thread? This one is much better for my blood pressure. I originally did make a post in there then deleted it once I saw this thread. Whoever that guy/gal is who made that thread has some serious anger issues... far too many seething, backhanded, negative posts in all caps lol.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this in a new thread. I decided not to comment on the other thread because I did not wish to give the ridiculous original post more attention than it warranted.....

David, since you are into stats, I'm sure that many of us would be interested in a statistical comparison of Kia's sophomore stats against Moriah as a sophomore. I bet they are closer than some people think, including the A/TO ratio. (I don't know that -- it's just a prediction.)"

Joe,
Tough comparison... MoJeff had 195 assists as a sophomore vs 66 turnovers. But, she was the point guard, playing with Bria Hartley (173 assists / 83 turnovers). Kia's sophomore season she had 104 assists and 53 turnovers, so basically a 2:1 ratio. But, and this is important, she was playing with Moriah at the point (204 assists/ 72 turnovers). Any point guard should get more assists, normally, than the 2 guard.

Kia's 2 year total is 212 assists vs 114 turnovers. That ratio is 1.85.
David

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 15111

You know who you are...:rolleyes: Let me begin by reminding you Michael Jordan missed 12,345 field goal attempts. That is more than he made. He also committed 2,924 turnovers. I'm not saying Kia is anything like Mike, but the game of basketball is harder than it looks, on TV, from your couch, in your parents' basement. ;) Yes, I know Jordan was doubled teamed and the primary object of every defense. Then why did he miss 1,445 free throws when there was no defense? The game is hard to play perfectly..:eek:

1. Kia Nurse has started 74 of 77 games at UConn. Every single one was a win..!! :)
2. Geno, a fairly good judge of talent, played her 2,050 minutes over the last two years.
3. Nurse has made 104 three point baskets in two years. Her 3 pt % is 38.8%, Jordan's was 32.7%. :cool:
4. When she wasn't making threes, Kia shot 53.1% from inside the arc. (161-303)
5. In addition to her 753 points, #11 had 212 assists, 105 steals and 196 rebounds. All this in 2 years.

This past year, Geno played Kia 1,074 minutes and Stewie 1,077 minutes. Why do you think he did that? Nurse was the only player to start all 38 games last season. Can you say "durable, tough and gutsy"? Yes, she makes mistakes during games. All players do... :p

Go UConn, go Kia..!!
OK, I can take all your punches except that one about me sitting on mommy's and daddy's couch in their basement. You choose weapons, pistols or swords?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Joe,
Tough comparison... MoJeff had 195 assists as a sophomore vs 66 turnovers. But, she was the point guard, playing with Bria Hartley (173 assists / 83 turnovers). Kia's sophomore season she had 104 assists and 53 turnovers, so basically a 2:1 ratio. But, and this is important, she was playing with Moriah at the point (204 assists/ 72 turnovers). Any point guard should get more assists normally than the 2 guard.

Kia's 2 year total is 212 assists vs 114 turnovers. That ratio is 1.85.
David
What about other stats? Minutes, points, rebounds, steals, shooting percentage, 3-point percentage? I realize that the comparison between a 2-guard and a point guard is imperfect, but it still does give us some idea of their comparative development (and hopefully reminds people that Moriah as a sophomore was not the same player as the one we remember as a senior).

As Doris Burke loved to point out, Moriah in her younger days had a tendency to jack up 3's that she was missing copiously, and also to drive into traffic in an uncontrolled way. Doris would always wait until Moriah missed a shot doing one of those things, and then say it was bad offense (as if she didn't often succeed doing exactly the same thing, making it a reasonable percentage play).

Kia is not as talented as Moriah, but she is just as intelligent and just as coachable, and she is maturing at the same rate. I expect her to be a bellwether of the team in her junior and senior years -- the same thing that happened to the three who departed last year.

Reaction Score
I fully endorse the expressed feeling that Kia, has been and will be, a valuable contributor to the success of our UCONN Women's program.
I'm not sure why, however, if a poster expresses an opinion in regard to the performance of one of our players, he or she, has to be crucified for doing so. Isn't this an open forum which welcomes diverse opinions? I'm sure the "guilty" poster hasn't written-off Kia for the remainder of her career and much of what he said was probably out of frustration...wanting her to succeed and to do better. Something we all favor. Comments making it sound like someone has committed heresy doesn't reflect well on freedom of thought promoted by this forum and ends-up making us look like pretty narrow thinkers.

Reaction Score
In UConn history, how many freshmen were starter?
Kia is one of the starter in both her freshman and sophomore years.
Geno must believe she is good...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Great post as usual. Love Kia Nurse. No one works harder or is more intense. 100% effort every second she's on the court. Always moving. But like all terrific players, there are things she could improve on. I'm sure Geno has a better list, but to my untrained eyes, here's my suggestion:
  1. Work on being able to finish with her left hand. Because she does not currently have that skill, she has to contort her body when going in for a layup on the left side
  2. Work to make better decisions when driving to the basket - don't just put the head down and barrel thru, but keep the head up and decide if you have a clear lane, if you need to pass and avoid the foul, or if you need to stop/pop and hit the pull up jumper
Those are really the 2 most glaring things IMHO that she should work on. Just my $.02...

That was worth more than just $.02.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I fully endorse the expressed feeling that Kia, has been and will be, a valuable contributor to the success of our UCONN Women's program.
I'm not sure why, however, if a poster expresses an opinion in regard to the performance of one of our players, he or she, has to be crucified for doing so. Isn't this an open forum which welcomes diverse opinions? I'm sure the "guilty" poster hasn't written-off Kia for the remainder of her career and much of what he said was probably out of frustration...wanting her to succeed and to do better. Something we all favor. Comments making it sound like someone has committed heresy doesn't reflect well on freedom of thought promoted by this forum and ends-up making us look like pretty narrow thinkers.
If you are sure of that posters feelings and thoughts you should have probably posted this is the thread that the poster you are referring to created. The fact of the matter is there is a way to say things and then there is a way you act when you are looking to get negative attention. The poster could have expressed their feelings in the same manner you just did if they felt the same way.

The poster chose not to. That is perfectly fine and they have their thread where they can continue their rant. Let's not pretend like this poster is more frustrated than Kia herself. She was the one who had the honor of playing for her country and it didn't go her way not him/her who felt the need to "get things off their chest" as they said. If you felt the need to go to bat for them good for you but that doesn't mean anyone is being narrow minded here.

It's generally not wise to say things like "the team did well despite her" or "she lost the game for Canada" or "open your eyes we shouldn't trust her to run the team next year" stating your opinion as fact if you are looking for a conversation. That lends more to the idea that you are looking for an argument.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sophomore Stats:
Kia - 38 games, 38 starts, 1074 minutes, 9.3 ppg, .443/.370/.754, 1.9 rebounds/gm, 57 fouls, 104 assts, 53 TO, 6 blocks, 50 steals, 1.96 A/TO
MJ - 40 games, 40 starts, 1187 minutes, 10.0 ppg, .575/.418/.768, 3.4 rebounds/gm, 62 fouls, 195 asst, 66 TO, 9 blocks, 106 steals, 2.95 A/TO
Sue - 37 games, 37 starts?, 1052 minutes, 10.9 ppg. .502/.497/.898, 2.5 rebounds/g, ?? fouls, 160 assts, 80 TO, 1 block, 69 steals, 2.00 A/TO
DT - 39 games, 39 starts?, 1131 minutes, 14.6 ppg, .494/.440/.828, 4.1 rebounds/gm, ?? fouls, 208 assts, 83 TO, 46 blocks, 50 steals 2.51 A/TO

Added in Sue and DT for comparison to some legends.

By my read, while DT scored more and with her height rebounded and blocked better, Moriah was the most efficient sophomore guard in Uconn history (and for her career.) After a spotty performance as a freshman her final three years were just phenomenal. She graduated with the best A/TO ratio and with the highest field goal percentage of any guard in Uconn history.

Love what Kia brings to the table at Uconn and the team will rely on her the next two years, but comparing her to legends (and Moriah is a young legend) is unfair. She is not quite in that class of player. (At least not yet!)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
On your #1....Use of the left hand by a right-hander....almost 100% of ALL basketball players need improvement in this area. One of the BEST I have ever seen do this, fluidly, is Saniya. Most NBA players do not do this well(even if they attempt it). I'll never forget the time I was at a Boston Celtic game at the Civic Center. Larry Bird threw a left-handed shot up, while close to the basket. It went OVER the backboard!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kia is a force of nature and will be a major part of the glue in the first "transitional" year for this team in quite a while. I do feel that Kia's game would benefit from an off season truly off, when she could concentrate on skills refinement, including the whole left hand lay up thing. I'm not sure she would ever do that. When Team Canada calls Kia will come a-runnin'.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree totally. Kia is a very good player. She's smart, mentally tough, and physically tough. She also plays consistently strong defense. On offense, she is a good 3-point shooter and has become a good FT shooter. She also has a decent pull-up jumper, can use the glass, and gets to the basket fairly easily. What she needs to do better is to get under control. Some other players, like Lindsay Whalen and Tiffany Hayes, take the ball into the lane and sometimes get hung up and force shots or get called for a charge. I'd like to see Kia minimize that. I'd also like to see her use her off-hand. Stewie, Moriah, and Lou are all very good with their left hands. Developing her left will really help Kia's game.

Reaction Score
If you are sure of that posters feelings and thoughts you should have probably posted this is the thread that the poster you are referring to created. The fact of the matter is there is a way to say things and then there is a way you act when you are looking to get negative attention. The poster could have expressed their feelings in the same manner you just did if they felt the same way.

The poster chose not to. That is perfectly fine and they have their thread where they can continue their rant. Let's not pretend like this poster is more frustrated than Kia herself. She was the one who had the honor of playing for her country and it didn't go her way not him/her who felt the need to "get things off their chest" as they said. If you felt the need to go to bat for them good for you but that doesn't mean anyone is being narrow minded here.

It's generally not wise to say things like "the team did well despite her" or "she lost the game for Canada" or "open your eyes we shouldn't trust her to run the team next year" stating your opinion as fact if you are looking for a conversation. That lends more to the idea that you are looking for an argument.
You make a good point that the words chosen by the original poster were in poor taste. In expressing them I fail to see , however, why he warrants a "troll" label. I certainly never implied that the poster was more frustrated than Kia herself. Simply offered a possible reason why someone who professes to be a solid UCONN fan could find fault with one of our overall top performers. Finally, I am no more sure of that poster's " feelings and thoughts" than either of us are in regard to his possibly " looking for an argument".

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
You make a good point that the words chosen by the original poster were in poor taste. In expressing them I fail to see , however, why he warrants a "troll" label. I certainly never implied that the poster was more frustrated than Kia herself. Simply offered a possible reason why someone who professes to be a solid UCONN fan could find fault with one of our overall top performers. Finally, I am no more sure of that poster's " feelings and thoughts" than either of us are in regard to his possibly " looking for an argument".
Troll is a relative term. In this instance when you don't post all that frequently (in comparison to most posters here) then start a thread with a negative connotation and follow that up by tooting your own horn in your own thread... you have left yourself to be labelled as a troll. Be it accurate or not these are the laws of the internet.

Reaction Score
Troll is a relative term. In this instance when you don't post all that frequently (in comparison to most posters here) then start a thread with a negative connotation and follow that up by tooting your own horn in your own thread... you have left yourself to be labelled as a troll. Be it accurate or not these are the laws of the internet.
Sad.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Sad.
Meh. That's what they have ignore buttons for. I do find it odd a poster could be offended by being called a troll in the same thread they so proudly declared someone should be replaced in.

It's strange really. If troll hurt their feelings I can't imagine what they must think their words would have felt like to Kia. Then again they likely weren't really thinking about that.

I wager that if the words were better prepared and offered in a more pensive manner the thread would have been much better recieved. This is the BY after all. Come with some facts, stats, questions and real concerns. People here are knowledgeable enough to take you seriously if you can do that.

Don't walk in the front door, leave your shoes on, and fart in my kitchen then think I'm gonna offer you a beer. No one here is saying Kia is perfect but as a 2X National Champion and a starter for our very own Huskies you gotta come at us a bit more respectfully.

Reaction Score
Most NBA players do not do this well(even if they attempt it). I'll never forget the time I was at a Boston Celtic game at the Civic Center. Larry Bird threw a left-handed shot up, while close to the basket. It went OVER the backboard!

Poor choice of an example. Bird was the best off-hand scorer I ever saw play basketball. I offer this game as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom