Someone is very wrong about Kia Nurse... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Someone is very wrong about Kia Nurse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Meh. That's what they have ignore buttons for. I do find it odd a poster could be offended by being called a troll in the same thread they so proudly declared someone should be replaced in.

It's strange really. If troll hurt their feelings I can't imagine what they must think their words would have felt like to Kia. Then again they likely weren't really thinking about that.

I wager that if the words were better prepared and offered in a more pensive manner the thread would have been much better recieved. This is the BY after all. Come with some facts, stats, questions and real concerns. People here are knowledgeable enough to take you seriously if you can do that.

Don't walk in the front door, leave your shoes on, and fart in my kitchen then think I'm gonna offer you a beer. No one here is saying Kia is perfect but as a 2X National Champion and a starter for our very own Huskies you gotta come at us a bit more respectfully.
" Sad" was not in reference to the original poster. It's in reference to your " Be it accurate or not, these are the laws of the Internet." If there's any truth to your closing statement, that's a "sad" state were in and more than confirms my original post.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
" Sad" was not in reference to the original poster. It's in reference to your " Be it accurate or not, these are the laws of the Internet." If there's any truth to your closing statement, that's a "sad" state were in and more than confirms my original post.
It is what it is. You can be labeled a troll for only saying positive things as well. Like I said it's relative.

You can almost guarantee you will be labeled a troll in any web based location when you are not well known and go into an established community on rant using your opinion as your only reference of knowledge.

If you did this in a sports bar you'd likely get knocked out so in reality it's not so bad lol.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Poor choice of an example. Bird was the best off-hand scorer I ever saw play basketball. I offer this game as an example.

Why is it a "poor choice." I saw it happen. Show that video. I was also told that Bird signed autographs with his LEFT hand......Watch Saniya(smooth)!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 15111

You know who you are...:rolleyes: Let me begin by reminding you Michael Jordan missed 12,345 field goal attempts. That is more than he made. He also committed 2,924 turnovers. I'm not saying Kia is anything like Mike, but the game of basketball is harder than it looks, on TV, from your couch, in your parents' basement. ;) Yes, I know Jordan was doubled teamed and the primary object of every defense. Then why did he miss 1,445 free throws when there was no defense? The game is hard to play perfectly..:eek:

1. Kia Nurse has started 74 of 77 games at UConn. Every single one was a win..!! :)
2. Geno, a fairly good judge of talent, played her 2,050 minutes over the last two years.
3. Nurse has made 104 three point baskets in two years. Her 3 pt % is 38.8%, Jordan's was 32.7%. :cool:
4. When she wasn't making threes, Kia shot 53.1% from inside the arc. (161-303)
5. In addition to her 753 points, #11 had 212 assists, 105 steals and 196 rebounds. All this in 2 years.

This past year, Geno played Kia 1,074 minutes and Stewie 1,077 minutes. Why do you think he did that? Nurse was the only player to start all 38 games last season. Can you say "durable, tough and gutsy"? Yes, she makes mistakes during games. All players do... :p

Go UConn, go Kia..!!

I have zero concerns about Kia this upcoming season. I'm very happy she's going to be in our back court this year. The team will lean heavily on her leadership and experience this year. I thank the heavens for Kia Nurse.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this in a new thread. I decided not to comment on the other thread because I did not wish to give the ridiculous original post more attention than it warranted.

Kia will be critical to UConn in the upcoming season -- she will be the most "seasoned" returning starter. As young as she looked (sometimes) on the Canadian Olympic team (and I thought she was perhaps their most effective player over the entire tournament), she will be just that "senior" on the UConn team. And we will see (in the context of WCBB rather than the Olympics) just how seasoned and durable she looks, and how well she leads.

My prediction is that she will take the helm and run the ship very successfully. I think she is ready to do that. That doesn't mean she will be at the Moriah level or even particularly close, but she will be at a level that is sufficient for UConn to have a very successful season. (I predict Final Four but not an NC.)

David, since you are into stats, I'm sure that many of us would be interested in a statistical comparison of Kia's sophomore stats against Moriah as a sophomore. I bet they are closer than some people think, including the A/TO ratio. (I don't know that -- it's just a prediction.)

Another point: Who, if not Kia, will be the secondary 3-point threat behind KLS on next year's team? If opponents run a box-and-one against Lou, where will the secondary perimeter scoring come from? It won't be Gabby or Napheesa -- they aren't 3-point artists at all. It certainly won't be Natalie. Are we expecting Saniya, Crystal, or Molly to come off the bench and save the day? That seems like wishful thinking to me.

Thanks for this response Joe, you nailed it!!! :cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Players evolve in both their skills and their attitudes. Kia is a great contributor whose game is still growing and improving. Her stats support the near-unanimous appreciation she receives here from the BY and from other fans.

Her scoring outburst in the Pan Am games might have been the worst thing for her olympic games performance. She raised the expectations within her country to such altitude and visibility that a "normal" performance looked somewhat pale. And the pressure on her was real. Canada is a good team, but not a great one. There isn't an abundance of talent to pick up the slack when Kia isn't scoring. I saw that. Surely Kia saw that too. That becomes more pressure. The pressures of playing for Geno and UConn are, I think, of a different sort.

But really, how can anybody critcize a player who hasn't lost a game as a starter for two years?

...Just absurd.

Reaction Score
Why is it a "poor choice." I saw it happen. Show that video. I was also told that Bird signed autographs with his LEFT hand.Watch Saniya(smooth)!

Your "poor choice" was using Larry Bird as the poster-boy for someone who could not shoot left-handed, based on 'one' bad shot your saw. The video I embedded above, which I suspect you did not watch, showed a game where Bird scored 22 points with his off hand. And then you compound that error by comparing Saniya Chong to him. Please!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I also have few concerns about Kia this year. However Kia, work on and be more consistent with your outside shot and the WCB world will be your oyster.

Reaction Score
I saw a special on the '86 Celtics yesterday. Bird apparently was bored so he decided to shoot as often as he could left-handed and see how many points he could score that way. He said he had to switch back to right-handed late because the game was close. Can you imagine the grief he'd take now for admitting to being bored and taking intentionally harder shots in a live game just to entertain himself.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Troll is a relative term. In this instance when you don't post all that frequently (in comparison to most posters here) then start a thread with a negative connotation and follow that up by tooting your own horn in your own thread... you have left yourself to be labelled as a troll. Be it accurate or not these are the laws of the internet.
6122fbabbcf0e5a9408eb5b7ad55e2c4.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Poor choice of an example. Bird was the best off-hand scorer I ever saw play basketball. I offer this game as an example.

Add to that that Bird announced to Portland that he was only going to shoot lefty before the the start of the game (IIRC he said through the end of the 1st half.) Just flat out told them.

Gotta say Larry Legend was kind of an [jerk]. He's my favorite NBA player of all time though.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Some interesting comments re Larry Bird, my favorite alltime player with the possible exception of John Havlicek, and his left handed skills.

Those skills did not come to him, or to anyone not left-handed, automatically. I remember reading somewhere that he spent an entire offseason while with the Celtics shooting and dribbling only with his left hand.

Practice doesn`t make perfect, but it does make pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom