Some quick thoughts | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Some quick thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game was lost because the UConn D had no answers for Navy's offense. Period. That was the story of the game. Three possessions, three long TD drives in the 1st half. We simply couldn't get them off the field. The last one in the final few seconds was absolutely crippling, as was the recovered fumble on the punt that wasn't overturned that led to that drive. Then when we did finally stop them 1st drive 2nd half, they punted down inside the 1. We got a 1st down but too long a drive for us to sustain. They get the ball back and drive down again. 28-10.

Everything else after that is hypothetical - we would have had to do just about everything right to pull that game out. Not saying it couldn't be done, but the D can't leave the offense with zero margin for error.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's right to say we're playing 100 level o..... I think it's more appropriate to say 200. We're moving the ball just fine. Where we have the problem is finishing drives.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
BTW, did you notice our guards killing it on the counter treys yesterday? as a guy that watches them on TV, I can tell you that it was the first time in like forever that I've heard broadcasters calling us out for good line play.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Our weak spot on offense is how to take 3rd and 3 or 4 when we are in four down territory and how to call two coherent plays. Once we get inside the opponents 45, it should be 4 down territory. Instead of trying a couple of plays that develop quickly and force the defense to read and react the coaches have long, drawn out plays that take forever to come about.

First down calls have been fine, UConn can finally execute a WR screen, there is variety in the schemes. But when UConn absolutely needs a play to keep a drive alive, the coaches bail out and bring out the Goofy play list.
If the offensive line could pave a way for a 3rd and 2 run for a first down, you wouldn't see any goofy play list. These coaches are trying to compensate for a weak spot, the O-line.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's right to say we're playing 100 level o..... I think it's more appropriate to say 200. We're moving the ball just fine. Where we have the problem is finishing drives.
Youth and lack of experience being in the situation is the issue. We all realize that Shireffs has 4 games under his belt with this team now.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Army beat an FBS team yesterday in Eastern Michigan. Scored 58 pts in doing so also.

Here is a fun fact. EMU is worst in the country against run -1,500 yards/18 tds.

Guess who they play next. Why LSU of course.

Reaction Score
It was pretty much the type of loss we all said we could live with all summer. Navy was better, they outplayed us, but we looked competent, and if a couple of plays had gone differently we'd have a chance to steal it. The 4th and 6 was frustrating. The option call was a weird call. If it's 4 down territory then I'd rather just run it up the middle on 3rd down. And then it looked like there was miscommunication on the 4th and 6 play which shouldn't happen after a timeout. If we convert that and the refs don't screw us on the fumble, we have a real shot at winning.

I do like Diaco's aggressiveness though. He correctly read the situation that we were going to have trouble stopping them and that we needed more than field goals to win the game. Not a lot of coaches do that.

Reaction Score
We are smack dab in the most difficult 3 game stretch of our 2015 schedule. Just so we're all on the same page, we will likely lose at BYU on Friday night too. No way Bronco Mendenhall isn't going to use this week to fire up his troops after being dismantled by Michigan today. But if you can't see or refuse to see the definite progress being made this year from the past several seasons, then your expectations are way too high. We are losing competitively and playing hard. Keep doing this and when the schedule softens up a bit (and it will), then hopefully we can start pulling out some games again. Patience.

I think we have a good chance beating BYU. We played well in our first road game. In our last game against BYU I thought we stacked up well athletically, and lost because BYU's talented QB picked us apart - something they don't have this year.

A comment on play calling, I was not high on the FV hire as OC, because he has never been an OC before and I'm not sure he was directly responsible for play calling.

But the team is playing well and I do think we pull the upset, as long as there is not a critical red zone 3rd or 4th down call needed. The coaching staff is clearly lacking in this area and shows inexperience.

Reaction Score
1. Progress isn't linear. They never threatened to win, but from 2011-2014 that Navy team would have beat UConn by 30. Unless you got overly excited by beating Army and Villanova - you had to know that outcome was probable.

2. Beals should shatter every UConn FBS receiving record. Offers matter - it's not an accident a player with his pedigree can step in and contribute.

3. They have to be more careful with Newsome. They ran him 5 straight plays at one point. He's not going to be as effective if they run him into the ground.

4. Going on fourth. onsides kicks. Love it - go out and play to win.

5. Crowd was dead - Navy's approach will do that.... but it was so nice to see a solid crowd so quickly. Clearly the schedule isn't as big a barrier as some may have believed. Win some games, be entertaining and the attendance will be pretty good.

If may not go well in Provo - but they have given every sign the trend is still up. To me, ahead of schedule.
Beals is going to be a beast! Great find/recruiting job

Reaction Score
Here is a fun fact. EMU is worst in the country against run -1,500 yards/18 tds.

Guess who they play next. Why LSU of course.
I saw that. Dear Lord, have mercy on them.

Reaction Score
Most overrated thing in football - college or pro - playcalling.

Then why do the defenses spend so much time game planning schemes and adjusting personnel and alignments every play? Play calling allows you to exploit tendencies and create mismatches which results in positive and sometimes big play potential. The fact that we underutilized our best WR and tight ends puts us at a disadvantage. When you're multiple scores behind with time against you it is totally counterproductive to playcall like you're within 1 score.

All that said I'm onboard with Verducci and think he'll grow into the job. Still would like to see Max occasionally with the rock in short yardage situations throughout the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then why do the defenses spend so much time game planning schemes and adjusting personnel and alignments every play?
Yeah, I disagree with that as well. Case in point in yesterday's game, we took a 3rd and 2 and turned it into a 4th and 6 with dumb playcall. If you ran it into the line and got 1 or 0, yds, you were still much better off on your next call when we ran play action on 4th and 6. That play action would probably be more effective on 4th and 1, rather than what it was.

The playcalling is so much better than it was last year or at any point under Deleone, that your almost afraid to question anything Verducci/Diaco are doing, but there are times when they seem to be overthinking the situation or trying to get too cute.

Reaction Score
Agree we're miles ahead of where we were development-wise but it's clear coaches and players are both growing in their new roles. We'll get there and I think we may have a QB waiting in the wings to help take us to the next level when the OL stabilizes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Disagree with you SUBBA.... Buffalo in 2013 was the bottom of the trough. my suggestion to you is if you can't see the fight and fire, especially in the 2nd half ---so SUBBA, you are pissed off leaving the stadium- then don't go..... those pups didn't quit and stopped Navy in the Red Zone with 4 minutes (left???) in the 4th qtr. BY THE WAY-LAST TIME I CHECKED WE PLAYED THEM EVEN (8 to 7) IN THE SECOND HALF.... They could have packed it in and they didn't. A Gigantic leap of faith the last two weeks for a group of kids who now believe in themselves and each other. We didn't lose the game-Navy outright beat us. They have 9 seniors starting on offense running the triple to perfection blocking for a 4 year starting QB that can break Monte Balls NCAA record for most TD's in a career (he now has 73). This Navy team smothered ECU which just beat VTech and lost to Florida by 7.

Your reading comprehension stinks. Find one criticism of the players.. You won't despite the numerous errors that are part an parcel to a developing team. This rant is about the coaches, who weirdly construct a very good game plan then proceed to take a giant dump on in somewhere between the opening series and the first quarter TV timeout. Apparently spend most of the week working on gadget plays instead of coaching special teams and defending the most pedestrian offensive scheme since the single wing. A scheme they saw twice in the last 10 games. I expect mistakes by the players, they are in college. I also expect the people being paid to be there to perform as professionals. That includes the stadium staff and the head coach. Enjoy your moral victories, that wasn't a good team we lost to yesterday. It wasn't a good team we lost to last week, the team we lose to next week just got bombed by another rebuilding program. We've beaten an FCS team and a service academy. We haven't exactly improved where it counts. Given the visual improvement on the field only shows how horrendous we were last season.

Reaction Score
You may not agree, you may not get what I'm saying, but I'm telling you the whole day put me very off.
Cool story bro. So a football game hurt your feelings so bad you had to write a small essay on the internet about it.

Diaco is building a bridge over your river of tears for you. It's gonna take a while, and it's only gonna take longer the bigger you make said river.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then why do the defenses spend so much time game planning schemes and adjusting personnel and alignments every play? Play calling allows you to exploit tendencies and create mismatches which results in positive and sometimes big play potential. The fact that we underutilized our best WR and tight ends puts us at a disadvantage. When you're multiple scores behind with time against you it is totally counterproductive to playcall like you're within 1 score.

All that said I'm onboard with Verducci and think he'll grow into the job. Still would like to see Max occasionally with the rock in short yardage situations throughout the game.

I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it's overrated.

Reaction Score
The game was lost because the UConn D had no answers for Navy's offense. Period. That was the story of the game. Three possessions, three long TD drives in the 1st half. We simply couldn't get them off the field. The last one in the final few seconds was absolutely crippling, as was the recovered fumble on the punt that wasn't overturned that led to that drive. Then when we did finally stop them 1st drive 2nd half, they punted down inside the 1. We got a 1st down but too long a drive for us to sustain. They get the ball back and drive down again. 28-10.

Everything else after that is hypothetical - we would have had to do just about everything right to pull that game out. Not saying it couldn't be done, but the D can't leave the offense with zero margin for error.

Offense had the ball with 6 min left TWICE and did not get a 1rst down. 4 and out. NO offense cannot win games.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Our weak spot on offense is how to take 3rd and 3 or 4 when we are in four down territory and how to call two coherent plays. Once we get inside the opponents 45, it should be 4 down territory. Instead of trying a couple of plays that develop quickly and force the defense to read and react the coaches have long, drawn out plays that take forever to come about.

First down calls have been fine, UConn can finally execute a WR screen, there is variety in the schemes. But when UConn absolutely needs a play to keep a drive alive, the coaches bail out and bring out the Goofy play list.

I agree, except FG attempts inside 35 yds to pull you within one with 14 minutes left in the first half, you take unless you are playing the #1 ranked team or a team with a huge talent disparity. I don't have a problem with the flea flicker on the first series, I don't even have a problem kicking at the end of it. But if you are a D1 head coach, you have to recongnize we averaged about 10 yds a play on that drive. We could move the ball on them without much of a problem. So when it's 3rd and 1 and you know you are going for it on 4th, you run it twice. You don't run a negative 5 yd play and still go for it. FWIW, all these trick plays are doing the development of ST no good.

Playing for the punt from the half yard line is correct and we broke one out to the 20. Right plays, right strategy. What you don't do is keep doing it once you get to midfield. The onside kick with 7 to go was correct, the three incompletes were bad luck or lack of player execution. Let me be clear, this staff isn't P and friends by a long shot, but I don't think that should be the standard. We had two more players drafted last year and by that measuring stick we have a few more on the roster right now.

Can someone explain why we have put zero effort into special teams. We don't run anything, even basic returns. Our big leg true freshman comes up short, why are we playing him? Didn't they see this in the preseason? Is he hurt? Why can't we find 5 guys to block for extra points, why can't Puyol get the ball up, is he hurt? These are talent questions, they are coaching questions. Who is working with them on their technique? Their are a ton of little things, basic things that are being missed and it's mostly the coaches.

On the stadium side, it's clear that the operation is a bare bones, part time, intern level operation with zero interest in putting on a first class event. If there intention is to drive me into watching these games on TV, they are doing a superb job. Did the band get a 2 game penalty for high sticking? Compared to the Nova game, they barely played. And I have had it with wall of PA announcements, the malfunctioning scoreboard and the inattentive operation thereof. I've also had it with the AAC officiating, these guys are terrible and whoever is on replay duty is even worse.

Better than last year is not good enough by a long shot.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Curious - compared to who? Top 25? Top 40?

It's a service academy which means we have a physical advantage as every position. They are 6-6 level squad, in good years they win 8. Saying they are so much better than us is pretty defeatist. That SEC team we lost to, just lost to UK in football.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Cool story bro. So a football game hurt your feelings so bad you had to write a small essay on the internet about it.

Diaco is building a bridge over your river of tears for you. It's gonna take a while, and it's only gonna take longer the bigger you make said river.

It's better than jumping on the 3rd quarter bus back to campus, isn't it.

Reaction Score
It's a service academy which means we have a physical advantage as every position. They are 6-6 level squad, in good years they win 8. Saying they are so much better than us is pretty defeatist. That SEC team we lost to, just lost to UK in football.

They won 8, 9, and 8 games the last 3 years so they've been having a lot of good years. And by all accounts this is the strongest team they've had in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom