Some quick thoughts | The Boneyard

Some quick thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1. Progress isn't linear. They never threatened to win, but from 2011-2014 that Navy team would have beat UConn by 30. Unless you got overly excited by beating Army and Villanova - you had to know that outcome was probable.

2. Beals should shatter every UConn FBS receiving record. Offers matter - it's not an accident a player with his pedigree can step in and contribute.

3. They have to be more careful with Newsome. They ran him 5 straight plays at one point. He's not going to be as effective if they run him into the ground.

4. Going on fourth. onsides kicks. Love it - go out and play to win.

5. Crowd was dead - Navy's approach will do that.... but it was so nice to see a solid crowd so quickly. Clearly the schedule isn't as big a barrier as some may have believed. Win some games, be entertaining and the attendance will be pretty good.

If may not go well in Provo - but they have given every sign the trend is still up. To me, ahead of schedule.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
1. Progress isn't linear. They never threatened to win, but from 2011-2014 that Navy team would have beat UConn by 30. Unless you got overly excited by beating Army and Villanova - you had to know that outcome was probable.

2. Beals should shatter every UConn FBS receiving record. Offers matter - it's not an accident a player with his pedigree can step in and contribute.

3. They have to be more careful with Newsome. They ran him 5 straight plays at one point. He's not going to be as effective if they run him into the ground.

5. Crowd was dead - Navy's approach will do that.... but it was so nice to see a solid crowd so quickly. Clearly the schedule isn't as big a barrier as some may have believed. Win some games, be entertaining and the attendance will be pretty good.

If may not go well in Provo - but they have given every sign the trend is still up. To me, ahead of schedule.

Good post.

Reaction Score

Totally Agree. Nova crowd seemed more lively. Today it got pretty quiet once you could see we would have a tough time stopping Navy.

What happens to Max? Did he even get into the game?

Didn't beat ourselves this week but played a team better than us right now. Still hoping for a bowl game this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Totally Agree. Nova crowd seemed more lively. Today it got pretty quiet once you could see we would have a tough time stopping Navy.

What happens to Max? Did he even get into the game?

Didn't beat ourselves this week but played a team better than us right now. Still hoping for a bowl game this year.

They threw it to Max on the fourth down. He was sort of open but the throw was nowhere near him.

Think he also played a bit on the drive where they ran Newsome the 5 straight plays after the sneak.

Newsome took a big hit on the sweep on the third play of the five - should have pulled the plug there.

Reaction Score
Good post, just had the same discussion with my brother about the game. Last year would have been 55-3. Nice progression.

Should have thrown more early as the WR/bubble screens found space often and I think Beals and Thomas could have had some fun. Sheriffs was really good early, tucked it in early a few times later but having said that his feet also saved some 1st downs - like him. Newsome gets to holes earlier than Johnson like him seeing more time. The defense - hey never easy against that offense have to read blocks ahead of the play to keep from getting trapped and so many other intangibles. Adams was superman out there most of the time, the LBers needed to be a bit better but all in all, great 4th down stand and showed some real grit. Have to like the trend no doubt.

As stated above, Thomas is good (should have caught the flea flicker though) but Beals has the game to be really special.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Saw plenty of Max on the field - didn't see hide nor hair of Johnson tho?

If it was a decision to not play Johnson - I have no idea how they didn't make it at halftime in Colombia. Did they really need to see the film.

Reaction Score
They threw it to Max on the fourth down. He was sort of open but the throw was nowhere near him.

Think he also played a bit on the drive where they ran Newsome the 5 straight plays after the sneak.

Newsome took a big hit on the sweep on the third play of the five - should have pulled the plug there.

Looked like Max went the wrong way after he got up, should have been direct to corner of goal line and he opened up towards the middle. Just miscommunication but the play was set up very nice.

Reaction Score
AP write-up: Reynolds leads undefeated Navy past UConn, 28-18

>>Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds ran 28 times for 142 yards and three touchdowns and threw for another score<<

>>Reynolds had touchdown runs of 10, 4 and 10 yards to give him 73 for his career, second in NCAA history behind former Wisconsin star Monte Ball, who ran for 77.<<

>>Navy's senior quarterback has rushed for 3,491 yards and is now second on Navy's all-time rushing list behind former running back Napoleon McCallum, who ran for 4,179 yards from 1981-85.<<

>>Bryant Shirreffs threw for 219 yards and two scores for UConn. Freshman receiver Tyraiq Beals caught six passes for 63 yards and a score for the Huskies.<<

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hopefully what they take from the film this week... you want to throw Newsome the ball in space, it can't be in isolation - there needs to be blocking.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I feel like this was our best barometer this far. Navy is a good team, but we will only go as far as our line takes us this year - that still needs a good bit of work. We aren't at a point where we can overcome breakdowns on the line just yet. Gotta get back to work and keep improving.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs is locking in too much on his first target, this needs to be fixed. Noel Thomas is a baller, so is Newsome and Beals. Rome wasn't built in a day.

They need to find a way to get Thomas more involved. He was targeted only 2 times in the first 3 quarters. It wasn't until the last couple minutes of the 4th quarter when they decided to pass him the ball. This happened the first couple of games too. He had 4 catches for 60+ yards in the last couple of minutes just imagine if he was targeted more often. Kid is a hell of a WR.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We're much better than last year and that's all that matters. Still some peculiar calls from Diaco/Verducci, but I guess that's to be expected. Taking the FG on 4th and 1 and then going for it on 4th and 6 was totally inconsistent. Running the ball so much with Newsome in the 3rd quarter when we were backed up against our goal line was odd. I feel like a different offensive gameplan in the 2nd half could have resulted in totally different outcome. way too much running in 3rd quarter. newsome was (somehow) relatively successful between the tackles but I still think Verducci puts him between the tackles too often and fails to get him out in space enough, though he did play out of the slot more often today. Good 2nd half for defense. Improved o-line play. I'm happy with how we look this year and very excited to see what next year and 2017 may bring.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It never felt like we were really a threat to win, but also like It was more Navy being great on offense more than defensive miscues.

Reaction Score
We're much better than last year and that's all that matters. Still some peculiar calls from Diaco/Verducci, but I guess that's to be expected. Taking the FG on 4th and 1 and then going for it on 4th and 6 was totally inconsistent. Running the ball so much with Newsome in the 3rd quarter when we were backed up against our goal line was odd. I feel like a different offensive gameplan in the 2nd half could have resulted in totally different outcome. way too much running in 3rd quarter. newsome was (somehow) relatively successful between the tackles but I still think Verducci puts him between the tackles too often and fails to get him out in space enough, though he did play out of the slot more often today. Good 2nd half for defense. Improved o-line play. I'm happy with how we look this year and very excited to see what next year and 2017 may bring.
Aside from the screwjob by the officials near the end of the first half, the play calling on that possession was the most aggravating part of the game.

UConn's O moved the ball as well as it has all season in the first half ... and yet, down 11 with limited possessions remaining, Verducci goes conservative? The game was over after that.

All in all, not a great game, but the year-over-year progress is undeniable. Let's see if they're ready to go from the start against BYU.

Reaction Score

Yeah, why did we not go for it on 4th and 1 on the 1st drive? We needed a TD and keep navy off the field. If we didn't make it, they would get it on the 20. If we did get a TD, boot it and worst they start on the 25+

But then we go for it on 4th and 6 on the 30+ ????
Stupid plays and decisions like this costs us the game.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Aside from the screwjob by the officials near the end of the first half, the play calling on that possession was the most aggravating part of the game.

UConn's O moved the ball as well as it has all season in the first half ... and yet, down 11 with limited possessions remaining, Verducci goes conservative? The game was over after that.

All in all, not a great game, but the year-over-year progress is undeniable. Let's see if they're ready to go from the start against BYU.

Especially confusing given that you're playing Navy, who is going to eat more clock than pretty much any team in the country. We were short on time and didn't seem to have urgency. Totally agree though--officiating was terrible. It seemed like today was just one of those days where nothing would go in our favor. How many fumbles did Navy recover? How many 3rd downs converted? I think we beat them next year with Reynolds gone and a bit more luck on our side.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

How did UConn get screwed at the end of the first half? They did a terrible job explaining what happened - but it was a clock error to run it to :00.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The odd decision on going 4th and 6 was the call on 3rd and 2. Running an option against an option team opening yourself up to a loss is bizarre.

This staff needs to touch a stove to learn it's hot. They generally don't
keep making the same mistake.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Navy driving and an offsides call on UConn that kept them alive (was it 3rd or 4th down) or allowed them to score a TD vs a field goal? Wasn't quite clear on that call either. Nothing went our way.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think that's a fair take whaler - I think Navy would be favored if they were to play Mizzou.

Kicking game looked better today, but I think everyone saw there was still room for improvement in all three phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom