Some quick thoughts | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Some quick thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a service academy which means we have a physical advantage as every position. They are 6-6 level squad, in good years they win 8. Saying they are so much better than us is pretty defeatist. That SEC team we lost to, just lost to UK in football.
Unless years of experience and depth don't matter, it's not so clear UCONN had an absolute physical advantage over Navy. 3 and 4 year starters count, especially at skill positions. Consequently, 19 or 20 players of an Offense 2-deep who are Cadet juniors or seniors might offer some advantages over a much younger, less experienced, rebuilding, and perhaps less deep opponent.

On a separate topic, UK and Calimari are unlikable. However, the Wildcats' gridders actually have a very good QB. Facts matter!

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Who goes for it down 7-3 with a makeable FG early?
How is that being a crybaby, Lawyer? Who keeps pounding a tiny back up the middle? HCBD.

Reaction Score
It's a service academy which means we have a physical advantage as every position. They are 6-6 level squad, in good years they win 8. Saying they are so much better than us is pretty defeatist. That SEC team we lost to, just lost to UK in football.
That 6-6 level squad who has won six or fewer games exactly once in the last 12 seasons.

Reaction Score
I was shocked at the inability to defend the option.

I'm not sure why. They are a very good offense, they've put up a lot of points both this year and the last few years.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why. They are a very good offense, they've put up a lot of points both this year and the last few years.
Anyone who doubts how good they are should just go watch their game against Notre Dame last year. They lost 49-39, but they were a frigging machine running the option. ND had to outscore them. So ND with all that 4 and 5 star talent couldn't set the edge or stop the option. That must show something no?

Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
The "it's a service academy" so they can't be good argument rings hollow.

No, it rings simplistic, which is all you need to know.

Reaction Score
Who keeps pounding a tiny back up the middle? HCBD.
It's pretty simple really. A head coach who realizes that Newsome has half the carries that Ron Johnson does yet leads the team in rushing yards (32 for 153), averages nearly 5 y\c, and almost 10 yds per catch. Do you want a back that can move the chains via run or pass or a bruiser that gets 2.4 y/c? Don't get me wrong, I like using all 4 RBs, but Newsome (who's grown from last year both physically and mentally) should absolutely be the feature back behind an O line that doesn't hold blocks very long.

Reaction Score
1. Progress isn't linear. They never threatened to win, but from 2011-2014 that Navy team would have beat UConn by 30. Unless you got overly excited by beating Army and Villanova - you had to know that outcome was probable.

2. Beals should shatter every UConn FBS receiving record. Offers matter - it's not an accident a player with his pedigree can step in and contribute.

3. They have to be more careful with Newsome. They ran him 5 straight plays at one point. He's not going to be as effective if they run him into the ground.

4. Going on fourth. onsides kicks. Love it - go out and play to win.

5. Crowd was dead - Navy's approach will do that.... but it was so nice to see a solid crowd so quickly. Clearly the schedule isn't as big a barrier as some may have believed. Win some games, be entertaining and the attendance will be pretty good.

If may not go well in Provo - but they have given every sign the trend is still up. To me, ahead of schedule.

Great summary. Had the same thoughts.

We're getting there, but it's a process. Won't happen overnight.

Reaction Score
I feel like this was our best barometer this far. Navy is a good team, but we will only go as far as our line takes us this year - that still needs a good bit of work. We aren't at a point where we can overcome breakdowns on the line just yet. Gotta get back to work and keep improving.

Remembering Whitmer's many sacks last year, the pass blocking looks much better. Shirreff's mobility also helps. The run blocking needs more improvement although Tyler Samara looked very good in a pulling situation against Navy. Hopkins too. This is only Verchery's 5th game at Center. If the line plays well in Provo, BYU could be a much better game than the 18 pt spread would indicate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22