Some insight into Holly's plans for the Lady Vols | The Boneyard

Some insight into Holly's plans for the Lady Vols

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why all the Tennessee articles? The Vols aren't on UConn's schedule or in any Top 10 preseason polls that I've seen. Personally, I couldn't be more tired of hearing about a program that is irrelevant to the Huskies. I would be interested in learning about the future conference mates, returning BEast teams or others on UConn's schedule.

Reaction Score
Why all the Tennessee articles?...
For the same reason that people go to auto races - a morbid expectation of seeing a car go out of control and cartwheel all over the track before it flies apart.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Why all the Tennessee articles? The Vols aren't on UConn's schedule or in any Top 10 preseason polls that I've seen. Personally, I couldn't be more tired of hearing about a program that is irrelevant to the Huskies. I would be interested in learning about the future conference mates, returning BEast teams or others on UConn's schedule.
A) The LVs are not irrelevant. They are the most storied program in WBB history, and they're going through a head coaching change for the first time since Immaculata was a national power. It's interesting, and important- UConn will go through such a change at some point, hopefully later rather than sooner.

B) They are also by far the most covered team in WCBB other than UConn. In short, there are going to be more articles about Tennessee than schools on UConn's schedule. I'm skeptical that you'll find a ton of content on SMU's WBB team.

As far as the article itself is concerned, this doesn't sound very promising. Having a team with several players who don't know what it's like to play Stanford and Baylor is not a strength. Having Harrison (a sophomore who was not a world beater as a frosh) and a freshman as your only true posts is not a strength. Nothing wrong with pressing, but unless their S&C has improved from last season, it's going to wear them out as much as their opponents. Am very interested in how their season goes.

Reaction Score
The new Tennessee game plan:
1) Rebound
2) Miss
3) Rebound
4) Miss
5) Miss
6) Rebound
7) Miss
8) Rebound
9) Ball accidentally falls in basket

Same ol' same ol' it will be again this year. The #1 reason I could never be a Vols fan.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A) The LVs are not irrelevant. They are the most storied program in WBB history, and they're going through a head coaching change for the first time since Immaculata was a national power. It's interesting, and important- UConn will go through such a change at some point, hopefully later rather than sooner.
I didn't say the LVs are irrelevant; I said they were irrelevant to UConn. I don't see wall-to-wall posts on Duke, Stanford, Maryland or even fellow Big East teams ND and Louisville, all of whom are on UConn's schedule. Baylor, I think we've covered pretty well.

Besides, most tenn threads aren't actual discussions, they're opportunities to take potshots.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't say the LVs are irrelevant; I said they were irrelevant to UConn. I don't see wall-to-wall posts on Duke, Stanford, Maryland or even, gasp, fellow Big East teams ND and Louisville, all of whom are on UConn's schedule. Baylor, I think we've covered pretty well.

Besides, most tenn threads aren't actual discussions, they're opportunities to take potshots.
Because you and the other Mods have created the bestest freest forum for WCBB and we are taking the cheap Bast--ds from the other pay sites on board since they can no longer post there! :confused:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
The other strategy seriously being considered is an "outscore gambit". This is the tool in which you set your game plan to score more points than your opponent. It is widely used is international play and has a history of producing winning records.

The concept is based on the mathematical model in which the winning team is considered that which has scored more points than their opponent.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The other strategy seriously being considered is an "outscore gambit". This is the tool in which you set your game plan to score more points than your opponent. It is widely used is international play and has a history of producing winning records.

The concept is based on the mathematical model in which the winning team is considered that which has scored more points than their opponent.
It is an extremely complex model that took decades to figure out. It's a little known fact that, until 1938, basketball games were judged like a gymnastics or ice skating competition.

I will say that both "run and gun" and "press and make the game ugly" give you a chance to win, but a) "run and gun" is a lot more entertaining to watch, and b) neither strategy is employed all the time unless you think you're at a talent disadvantage.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I didn't say the LVs are irrelevant; I said they were irrelevant to UConn. I don't see wall-to-wall posts on Duke, Stanford, Maryland or even, gasp, fellow Big East teams ND and Louisville, all of whom are on UConn's schedule. Baylor, I think we've covered pretty well.

The latter point is definitely true, but it also underscores why there are threads to begin with. The LVs are still a rival- if no longer regularly so on the court, for relative importance in the history of the sport.

I've seen some posts and threads about the other schools, but Baylor is really the only team anyone thinks is a serious threat next year. So Baylor is the immediate rival for the season, and Tennessee is an historical rival going through a significant change, namely trying to replace and irreplaceable coach. Thus, they get the attention. :)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I for one can't wait for the season to start. Tennessee had a lot of fans in Atlanta for football game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
It is an extremely complex model that took decades to figure out. It's a little known fact that, until 1938, basketball games were judged like a gymnastics or ice skating competition.

I will say that both "run and gun" and "press and make the game ugly" give you a chance to win, but a) "run and gun" is a lot more entertaining to watch, and b) neither strategy is employed all the time unless you think you're at a talent disadvantage.

Yeah, 1938, that was the year of the famous bribery incident. Not just a bribery scandal, but a cover-up. The article claims the bribery had something to do with surety bonds, but that was just the cover story; the real problem is that he was bribing judges to influence the results of basketball games. They swept the incident under the rug (want proof, just go Google it, and you'll see they hid everything), then quietly decide to change the scoring so that the team with the most points won.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I see Nan's point. As a guest, I will say that I am surprised at the amount of UT talk that takes place on the BY. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, just saying that UT is discussed quite a bit despite the fact that they are not on UCONN's schedule.

It will be interesting to see if there is any TAMu talk on the Baylor board. I am doubtful that they will get the time of day.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I see Nan's point. As a guest, I will say that I am surprised at the amount of UT talk that takes place on the BY. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, just saying that UT is discussed quite a bit despite the fact that they are not on UCONN's schedule.

It will be interesting to see if there is any TAMu talk on the Baylor board. I am doubtful that they will get the time of day.
Not remotely in the same league as far as being an historical rival in WBB. Over the course of 13 seasons (1994/95-2006/07), UConn and Tennessee met 22 times, including seven times in the NCAA tourney and four times in the NC game. Combined, the two programs won nine NCs and made 17 Final Fours during that stretch. And, whereas A&M/Baylor was discontinued because of college football, UConn-Tennessee has always been exclusively about WBB.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I looked. I tried all the key words. Not much out there, Nan.

I know you have a knack for looking things up (Uconn in the news for example). Can you start some threads about future conference mates, returning BEast teams or others on UConn's schedule?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Not remotely in the same league as far as being an historical rival in WBB. Over the course of 13 seasons (1994/95-2006/07), UConn and Tennessee met 22 times, including seven times in the NCAA tourney and four times in the NC game. Combined, the two programs won nine NCs and made 17 Final Fours during that stretch. And, whereas A&M/Baylor was discontinued because of college football, UConn-Tennessee has always been exclusively about WBB.
Alex - your arguments for the validity of threads about Tenn are technically sound. However, as Nan hinted, they just too often drift away from pure basketball discussions and "degenerate". Too many folks just can't let the nasty fanbase rivalry go. I'm actually hoping their switch to a pay site will finally let that undercurrent start to fade away #hopingreallyhard.

In the meantime, those threads cause a lot of work for us mods. Most of them need some trimming...things you won't see when your read the thread if we've done our job. It's definitely one of the downsides of being a mod. There's no using the "Ignore Button". Often the folks we'd like to ignore the most are the folks that we need to be sure to read the closest. Kinda a sad irony.

Reaction Score

There is a lot of Uconn talk on the TN boards too. I think a lot of the TN talk here stems from the 8 TN/Pat Summit NCs vs 7 for Uconn/Geno. Since Pat's NCs are now fixed at 8, only Geno can tie and/or pull into the lead. This keeps the rivalry going even though they no longer play each other. There is also the recruiting rivalry.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There is a lot of Uconn talk on the TN boards too. I think a lot of the TN talk here stems from the 8 TN/Pat Summit NCs vs 7 for Uconn/Geno. Since Pat's NCs are now fixed at 8, only Geno can tie and/or pull into the lead. This keeps the rivalry going even though they no longer play each other. There is also the recruiting rivalry.

Only Geno can tie or pull into the lead in the near future. Unless they discontinue WCBB I suspect that another team could challenge that down the road after Geno retires.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Alex - your arguments for the validity of threads about Tenn are technically sound. However, as Nan hinted, they just too often drift away from pure basketball discussions and "degenerate". Too many folks just can't let the nasty fanbase rivalry go. I'm actually hoping their switch to a pay site will finally let that undercurrent start to fade away #hopingreallyhard.

In the meantime, those threads cause a lot of work for us mods. Most of them need some trimming...things you won't see when your read the thread if we've done our job. It's definitely one of the downsides of being a mod. There's no using the "Ignore Button". Often the folks we'd like to ignore the most are the folks that we need to be sure to read the closest. Kinda a sad irony.
Oh, I understand. You want the level of discourse to be reasonably civil, and this is one topic where that's consistently a challenge. But the reason that's the case is because Uconn-Tennessee was the one true great rivalry in WCBB history. Baylor finds it easy to simply ignore A&M because, well...it wasn't.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Another Tennessee thread?? Ain't Nobody Got Time for Dat!!... :p

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Oh, I understand. You want the level of discourse to be reasonably civil, and this is one topic where that's consistently a challenge. But the reason that's the case is because Uconn-Tennessee was the one true great rivalry in WCBB history. Baylor finds it easy to simply ignore A&M because, well...it wasn't.

Everything TAMU was bitter. You GROSSLY underestimate the contempt felt for TAMU. But, TAMU is like me ex, whom I don't care to continue to discuss.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The new Tennessee game plan:
1) Rebound
2) Miss
3) Rebound
4) Miss
5) Miss
6) Rebound
7) Miss
8) Rebound
9) Ball accidentally falls in basket

Same ol' same ol' it will be again this year. The #1 reason I could never be a Vols fan.

you forgot the step where they get to shoot lots of free throws.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh, I understand. You want the level of discourse to be reasonably civil, and this is one topic where that's consistently a challenge. But the reason that's the case is because Uconn-Tennessee was the one true great rivalry in WCBB history.
Actually, the vitriolic posts are made by only a handful of posters on each side. I bet if we tried to name them all, we'd have no real difficulty in doing so. (Having said that, don't start that thread anyone, please) The bitterness felt by those folks is real and it's enduring but the unfortunate truth is that it's polluted both the Boneyard and the Summitt.

If these young ladies can grow up and grow out of the bitterness, why can't we?

Tamika+Catchings+Tina+Charles+Olympics+Day+gyYu9iAf571l.jpg

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
There's two games I'm really looking forward to this non-conference for Rutgers. Nov. 11th @ Georgia(Which features the #1 & #3 active coaches on the all-time wins list) and Dec. 30th @ Tennessee.
It seems like the last few years when we play we're always the one with the short bench, and don't have enough horses to finish the race. This year I'm expecting us to go 11-deep and we have depth in every position , especially in the post where Tennessee is the thinnest. I expect this to be Rutgers first win in Knoxville(Should be second, but we won't go there).

Can we start the season already?

Reaction Score
... It seems like the last few years when we play we're always the one with the short bench, and don't have enough horses to finish the race. This year I'm expecting us to go 11-deep and we have depth in every position ...
For some unknown reason, I started reading this post at the beginning of the above citation. Until I looked at your avatar, I thought I was reading commentary about UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom