Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 80 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bad mojo to say this, but nothing will hurt as much as the CR saga. If we miss on Hurley so be it – it sucks, but there are like 5 other good HC possibilities out there.
Hurley feels like the right fit and was prioritized by the AD. If we were to miss out on him, they may not look quite so good on paper, but they can and should still find success.

I want Hurley, but like you say, he isn't the be and and end all here.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bad mojo to say this, but nothing will hurt as much as the CR saga. If we miss on Hurley so be it – it sucks, but there are like 5 other good HC possibilities out there.
Got rid of it... i'll come back to it later. but yeah, I posted in another thread just now about the last part of your comment

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If he was staying at URI it wouldn't be hard, it would be easy, come out and announce it and celebrate.. Because it is hard, he is leaving...
Hard to say. Could be that he wants the Pitt $$$, but wife isn't thrilled with leaving the east coast. UConn is great job but they don't want him as much as Pitt. URI is comfortable, he's loved but if he keeps saying no, the chances will dry up....
circular-arrow-in-blue-hues-mild-linear-fill-hi.png

Reaction Score

That could actually work in our favor. It'd seem that short of staying at URI, a lot of the positives are in our corner.

Wouldn't think the extra money is worth a move that far from home. This take doesn't look good for Pitt

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Hurley feels like the right fit and was prioritized by the AD. If we were to miss out on him, they may not look quite so good on paper, but they can and should still find success.

I want Hurley, but like you say, he isn't the be and and end all here.
Yup. The reason I want him is that he combines high ceiling (I could see him as a title-winning coach) with a high floor (there is a very small chance, given his track record as a HC, that he's in over his head in Storrs), along with northeastern roots & UConn ties. He checks pretty much every box.

There are other guys out there with arguably higher upside – I think Musselman is clearly a better in-game coach, for example. But the floors are a bit lower, and there are stability issues with all of them (many would see UConn as a stepping stone job, which I hate).

But the bottom line is this: Almost anyone would do a better job than KO did over the last four seasons. Get us back to 25 wins and a tourney berth 80% of the time, and I'll be ok with that for the next 8-10 years. I think most of the guys who've been rumored can do that, and have the potential to actually do more than that as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, sure, I don't disagree. Though with the Koch money WSU has, even if they lost Gregg Marshall (doubtful except to a few schools), they'll be able to get a good replacement. They've made the tournament every year since 2012.

Now, here's hoping they don't continue this strategy. It's what the A10 did, for instance, and how they ended up with George Mason.

Yeah, WSU seems like a relatively safe bet because they have the cash to hire and the focus on basketball.

But it’s not guaranteed they drive the league’s KP rating like they did early this year.

Reaction Score
I hope his wife is on Zillow looking at CT homes. We have some lovely houses here Danny!

Reaction Score
And really those numbers are horribly skewed downwards due to ECU/USF. If they just become below average rather than horrible, the league jumps the Pac-12

Not an average, closer to an expected Median.
"Ranking of conferences by AdjEM of team that's expected to go .500 in conference play"

Reaction Score
Pitt and URI are the polars. If he’s struggling between the money or the comfortability then UConn is the compromise. I feel good about it. But that feeling could change at any moment lol

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Pitt and URI are the polars. If he’s struggling between the money or the comfortability then UConn is the compromise. I feel good about it. But that feeling could change at any moment lol
The only thing Pitt has is the money due to the ACC. Nothing else. UConn could be in the ACC in the next year or so. Or they could be in the NBE or another P5 conference. UConn by name alone offers more. It's also close to RI and his family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom