So you want Coach P out? Who do you want in? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So you want Coach P out? Who do you want in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His current contract runs through 2016 @ Temple.

I like SA and wish he was availabe when you know who left in 2011. You also do know he coached @ Cuse w/PP - right and that he was basically run out of UF. Nobody is perfect I guess.

He was made a scapegoat at UF.

I am aware he coached with Coach P at Syracuse. Both Cheshire natives. He left right after Kyle McIntosh graduated from Cheshire High and went to Syracuse.

Reaction Score
By area, I did not mean Connecticut. This has been discussed quite a bit here, and I chuckled when everyone was touting how much the high school coaches loved Coach P. What did that get us? The biggest whiner, the coach at Xavier who whined about Edsall and raved about Pasquoloni? Well he had a great D1 qb prospect. Where did he commit? Uh BC.

By area, I mean fertile recruiting grounds around CT. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Florida. Those are the 3 key states, to me.

Got it - agreed

Reaction Score
I'm afraid if it was up to me, we'd be 3-9 every year and our biggest game of the year would be against Temple.

Reaction Score
He was made a scapegoat at UF.

I am aware he coached with Coach P at Syracuse. Both Cheshire natives. He left right after Kyle McIntosh graduated from Cheshire High and went to Syracuse.

I'm a local guy... I got it all. Just saying he's a long, long shot.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Right now I'm thinking primarily about OC. I still hope at the least that DeLeone is replaced at the end of the season. If we can get a capable interim OC then I'd be more for him getting shiiiitcanned right away, but who would that be? Can coach Sos call plays? Would we want to remove him from his recruiting responsibilities? It's not like it's easy to find someone in the middle of the season if they're not on your staff.

If Warde does fire PP, or PP refuses to fire GDL and then gets fired, my ideal candidates would be someone with mid-atlantic, not necessarily northeastern ties, if they were willing to have someone with northeastern roots on staff and also develop those relationships. Or someone who can get kids from florida/texas to come up here. Yeah it'd be nice to keep all the CT BCS type kids at UConn but it'd be better to have more kids from those places, if not both. (EDIT - just saw that UConn07 just made this point too)

Reaction Score
I'm a local guy... I got it all. Just saying he's a long, long shot.

man, the timing really was terrible. If only Coach Addazio waited one more week, I would bet he would be our current coach.

Would love to see him consider UCONN, though.

If not Addazzio, I want a former or current head coach at any level. I know I repeat myself, but many successful BCS coaches have come from the lower ranks (Jim Tressel, Brian Kelly, Paul Johnson, Mike Leach).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want to create a presentation for WM. It will be very simple; it will have the article where DeLeone bragged about the size of his playbook and everything he wanted the offense to learn, the article about Holgorsen's offense, that simplifying what the kids needed to learn was the key (and that DH believes he can implement his offense in three days) and limiting the number of formations and plays. I then would offer the results of each offense over the past two seasons (the amount of time each has been at his new job).

This should clearly illustrate everything we want brought to light.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we are considering poaching the head coach from another BE school it is going to have to be for a bigger fish than Addazio.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Having previous HC experience is overrated.

Let's be clear: UConn is not that great a job. There is little tradition, no local recruiting base to speak of, an unclear conference situation, the perception that Uconn is a basketball school, and a location that, though not wholly unpleasant, isn't exactly a tropical paradise either.

In short, UConn is a hard place to have sustained success. What Uconn needs is a coach who can compete in a way other than head-to-head. That means someone who understands how to build an offensive or defensive system from the ground up and recruit far and wide for lower-rated recruits and JUCOs who fit into that system. This is what Boise did, and it's what Dan Snyder did at K-State.

An innovative coordinator would absolutely be able to do this. Do you think Oklahoma regrets hiring Bob Stoops, or West Virginia regrets hiring Holgerson?

Reaction Score

Let's be clear: UConn is not that great a job. There is little tradition, no local recruiting base to speak of, an unclear conference situation, the perception that Uconn is a basketball school, and a location that, though not wholly unpleasant, isn't exactly a tropical paradise either.

In short, UConn is a hard place to have sustained success. What Uconn needs is a coach who can compete in a way other than head-to-head. That means someone who understands how to build an offensive or defensive system from the ground up and recruit far and wide for lower-rated recruits and JUCOs who fit into that system. This is what Boise did, and it's what Dan Snyder did at K-State.

An innovative coordinator would absolutely be able to do this. Do you think Oklahoma regrets hiring Bob Stoops, or West Virginia regrets hiring Holgerson?

There are hits, and there are misses for both.

For every Bob Stoops, there is a Greg Robinson. For every Chip Kelly, there is a Doug Marrone. For every Dana Holgerson, there is a Mike Stoops.

Reaction Score
Locksley is toxic. Trust me, I have a friend who is a UMD grad and does analysis of high school recruits in Florida for FBS and FCS schools. Do NOT think of Locksley. Unless you want the program to be put on probation.

Reaction Score
Little tradition for the shortsighted. We have such a unique history, even if we played at the mid-major level for years before the FCS was even formed. We do have plenty of conference championships. Also, look at what Calhoun and Auriemma were able to do.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Locksley is toxic. Trust me, I have a friend who is a UMD grad and does analysis of high school recruits in Florida for FBS and FCS schools. Do NOT think of Locksley. Unless you want the program to be put on probation.

winning while being in trouble with the ncaa is more fun then losing. just ask our bball team and jc.

Reaction Score

I agree... because you have head coaching experience doesn't mean you can do better than a guy that doesn't... I wouldn't mind hiring a successful OC or DC as HC!

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Someone who isn't senile and hasn't been out of head coaching for 6 years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i can't sleep. i really wanted to block off the GWB and wait for the uconn bus to try to cross. i'm still looking to take heads out.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Mike MacIntyre (Head Coach San Jose State). Held Navy's option offense to 74 yards rushing, so the guy can gameplan. He has an offensive background and does a nice job developing quarterbacks. He has quickly gotten San Jose State back on track after Tomey's final years there went astray. SJSU is dangerous, almost beat Stanford and should win 10 games. MacIntyre has ties to the East Coast, having previously worked for Duke, and is a good recruiter. Finally, he is one of the few quality 1-A head coaches that would leave his current position for UConn.

I like ZLS's suggestion as well. A sleeper pick would be BC's offensive coordinator, who has built a quality offense out of sewage (Rettig and Amidon aside).

Head coaching experience isn't necessary, but if we can get a quality non-AQ guy with ties to the east coast, we should do that.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
A door knob. Any standard, industrial doorknob would suffice. Any door knob that understands blocking and how to pick up a blitz. Hire that door knob, pay it whatever it wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom