So what's next? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I truly believe UConn is in the Big Ten or ACC in 2025. If everyone agrees the Big 12 is on its death bed, then it stands to reason we're heading to four power conference. That means somewhere between 16-20 schools in four leagues. At that point, there's no way UConn is left out one of those two leagues by then. I know that's still several years away and it might suck in the meantime, but I just can't see any way you folks would be left out if the Big 12 goes under.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The disdain for Tulane is simple. They suck at everything and they are so unpopular they didn't even have a radio deal for their basketball team when they joined the conference.

If you are hanging onto the fantasy that UConn is ever going to be in the Big 10 - God Bless.

With all the questions on revenue why would the new P4 grow the total number of teams. They will be throwing Wake Forest and Boston College overboard before they let new schools into the club.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Maybe so. But Here are the schools I think each league would rate ahead of UConn.

ACC: Texas. Oklahoma.
B1G: Texas, Oklahoma. Kansas. ISU is a close call.
Pac: all of them, but Pac wouldn't want anyone but: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas maybe TCU. It would take TT if that meant getting UT.
SEC. all of them, but SEC wouldn't want anyone but: Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, KU, K-State maybe TCU.

TT goes P5 only if linked to Texas.
Baylor is hosed.
ISU, OK State, TCU and K State are probably hosed.

There is no feeding frenzy ready to happen for those 7 schools.

Texas and Oklahoma will leave eventually. That will set off a chain of events with dozens of potential results. And picking the "common sense" outcome will inevitably be wrong.

Reaction Score
I truly believe UConn is in the Big Ten or ACC in 2025. If everyone agrees the Big 12 is on its death bed, then it stands to reason we're heading to four power conference. That means somewhere between 16-20 schools in four leagues. At that point, there's no way UConn is left out one of those two leagues by then. I know that's still several years away and it might suck in the meantime, but I just can't see any way you folks would be left out if the Big 12 goes under.
There needs to be a grassroots effort to remove the BTN from sports packages in New England, and NYC. No need for anyone to pay for something they never watch. Then, and only then, the B1G might look at UConn. Otherwise forget it. That they even tolerate Rutgers shows that the B1G administrators are bigger whores than anyone could imagine.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
There needs to be a grassroots effort to remove the BTN from sports packages in New England, and NYC. No need for anyone to pay for something they never watch. Then, and only then, the B1G might look at UConn. Otherwise forget it. That they even tolerate Rutgers shows that the B1G administrators are bigger whores than anyone could imagine.

Really? You actually think that the grassroots effort will be able to break the contract with the cable companies? The only thing you can do is cancel your cable and stream or try one of the skinny bundles the satillite companies are promoting. Making a big stink about the issue surely will "force" the Big10 into taking UConn. It is a sure fire way to get what you want, just ask Blumenthal how forcing the issue worked for UConn.

As far as Rutgers goes, they are in the NYC DMA (the only FBS school that is) and they give plenty of money to the Big10. If you call that whoring, then go right a head. The Big10 Presidents couldn't give two poops about their athletic prowess. All they care about is the money and exposure in NYC. Rutgers give them both.

While I try to be empathetic toward your position, it gets really hard when I see crap like this.

Reaction Score
Really? You actually think that the grassroots effort will be able to break the contract with the cable companies? The only thing you can do is cancel your cable and stream or try one of the skinny bundles the satillite companies are promoting. Making a big stink about the issue surely will "force" the Big10 into taking UConn. It is a sure fire way to get what you want, just ask Blumenthal how forcing the issue worked for UConn.

As far as Rutgers goes, they are in the NYC DMA (the only FBS school that is) and they give plenty of money to the Big10. If you call that whoring, then go right a head. The Big10 Presidents couldn't give two poops about their athletic prowess. All they care about is the money and exposure in NYC. Rutgers give them both.

While I try to be empathetic toward your position, it gets really hard when I see crap like this.
It has been stated that the only reason Rutgers is in the B1G is because of the many cable boxes that they bring. I really would love a survey of how many homes in the NYC DMA and well as the rest of New England and New York State actually watch the BTN. People are paying for a channel they don't watch or need. Why am I forced to pay for the BTN to get a sports package if I am not interested in any its programming? If UConn was in the B1G, then I would pay for it gladly. Without such, there is absolutely no need. If one wishes to make a statement, talk with your wallet. Zip it and people will take notice. Cable companies will take notice. Athletic conferences will take notice. Do you think I would pay to watch the ACC Network as well. No. Things will then change quickly. No one forcing any issue here and no one is making a big stink. It is time for the oppressed to rise up. I am just saying that certain programming shouldn't be forced upon someone as part of a sports package if it is never watched. I am venturing to say that the BTN is rarely if ever watched in the NYC DMA as well as the rest of New York State and New England. And yes, the B1G whored themselves out when they took Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure only caring about money is the urban dictionary definition of whoring.

Reaction Score
Big10 Presidents couldn't give two poops about their athletic prowess. All they care about is the money and exposure in NYC. Rutgers give them both.

^^^ This ^^^

http://deadspin.com/the-big-ten-got-exactly-what-it-wanted-in-rutgers-1787628419

>>By signing on Rutgers, the conference’s lucrative television network was able to lock down deals with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Cablevision, bringing the Big Ten Network, which is majority owned by Fox, to basic packages in the New York and New Jersey markets. The expansion to the Tri-Statearea, as well as Washington, D.C., was tagged with a $1 subscription fee for customers—up from the normal 44 cents. With Maryland and Rutgers games being broadcast in the two markets, viewership increased from 52 million to 60 million in a year’s time, per the Baltimore Sun. More viewers, more ads—going for $4,000 per 30-second slot—and ultimately, more money. The conference’s payout from its Cablevision deal alone was up nearly $18 million in 2015, totaling $31.7 million, according to AdAge.<<

>>All that really matters to the Big Ten and its network is that the Scarlet Knights replaced an FCS or weak cross-conference foe on the schedules of Big Ten members, meaning the league’s top teams can register another guaranteed victory, only now it counts as a Power Five conference win and mutes the voices of those bemoaning the pay-small-schools-for-wins system. Would league officials prefer Rutgers was good and strong and an actual Division I team? Yes. But they also recognize that preference is not necessary to deem the move a success.<<

Reaction Score
It has been stated that the only reason Rutgers is in the B1G is because of the many cable boxes that they bring. I really would love a survey of how many homes in the NYC DMA and well as the rest of New England and New York State actually watch the BTN. People are paying for a channel they don't watch or need. Why am I forced to pay for the BTN to get a sports package if I am not interested in any its programming? If UConn was in the B1G, then I would pay for it gladly. Without such, there is absolutely no need. If one wishes to make a statement, talk with your wallet. Zip it and people will take notice. Cable companies will take notice. Athletic conferences will take notice. Do you think I would pay to watch the ACC Network as well. No. Things will then change quickly. No one forcing any issue here and no one is making a big stink. It is time for the oppressed to rise up. I am just saying that certain programming shouldn't be forced upon someone as part of a sports package if it is never watched. I am venturing to say that the BTN is rarely if ever watched in the NYC DMA as well as the rest of New York State and New England. And yes, the B1G whored themselves out when they took Rutgers.

The average household well over 100 channels in their cable package. Everyone is literally paying for dozens of channels they don't watch or need. It's an easy argument to say that most sports fans watch the BTN more than the many cooking channels, news networks, reality stations, etc., that is littered throughout the dial. I'm in Ohio and I promise I'm watching the Pac-12 network a lot more than most of the other 200+ stations I have on my cable package.

Reaction Score
Yep...you get about 100 channels hawking jewelry, vacuums, diet plans, etc...a handful of religious channels, Cspan, etc...and maybe a 16 channels that you actually watch.

Reaction Score
The average household well over 100 channels in their cable package. Everyone is literally paying for dozens of channels they don't watch or need. It's an easy argument to say that most sports fans watch the BTN more than the many cooking channels, news networks, reality stations, etc., that is littered throughout the dial. I'm in Ohio and I promise I'm watching the Pac-12 network a lot more than most of the other 200+ stations I have on my cable package.
I don't watch either the BTN or PAC-12 network, but I am forced to have them if I want to watch other sports. I believe for all of us it is time to tell cable companies that we only want to pay for what we watch. I don't want my dollars supporting the P5 Conferences that are excluding UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't watch either the BTN or PAC-12 network, but I am forced to have them if I want to watch other sports. I believe for all of us it is time to tell cable companies that we only want to pay for what we watch. I don't want my dollars supporting the P5 Conferences that are excluding UConn.

Should others join you because you have a problem with paying for channels you don't watch or should they join you because you don't want your $1 a year going to the Big Ten until/unless UConn joins?

dayooper

Reaction Score
If one wishes to make a statement, talk with your wallet. Zip it and people will take notice. Cable companies will take notice. Athletic conferences will take notice.

Assuming you are in CT, you are payining ten cents a month. At that ten cents a month that you are paying, no one notices either way. If you are in the NYC DMA, than you are paying about 80 cents a month.

No one forcing any issue here and no one is making a big stink. It is time for the oppressed to rise up. I am just saying that certain programming shouldn't be forced upon someone as part of a sports package if it is never watched. I am venturing to say that the BTN is rarely if ever watched in the NYC DMA as well as the rest of New York State and New England.

This happens all the time. It's why you are able to afford ESPN at $8 a month. People who watch Lifetime, Game Show Network and the cable news channels are subsidized by the sports channels and vice versa. It's how the game works. The skinny bundles and streaming will cost more money in the long run, but the "oppressed" people will have their way. Failure to see the long game by these companies will cost you and, more importantly me more money. I like my cable and internet rate. If we all went to all streaming, a new cable network would have to be developed or they would go with wireless. Right now, there are few data limits for hard wired connections (from the street to house, not in house wifi), but they have pretty hard limits for wireless. Once they have to upgrade the hard wire connections, your cost will skyrocket. Go to wireless? Hard data caps and pay by the gig.

I hope we come to a day when oppressed people are those that have to pay for the BTN but don't watch it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Should others join you because you have a problem with paying for channels you don't watch or should they join you because you don't want your $1 a year going to the Big Ten until/unless UConn joins?
I have a problem with paying for channels that I don't watch. I will gladly pay for any conference network that UConn would be a part of. When SNY started broadcasting UConn games, people clamored for that station to be added. When ESPNU came about, people in CT clamored for it to be added to watch UConn. So, what makes you all think that people here want to pay for the BTN or future ACCN if UConn is not involved? It is one thing to electively select a station and another to have it forced upon one as part of a sports package.

Reaction Score
Assuming you are in CT, you are payining ten cents a month. At that ten cents a month that you are paying, no one notices either way. If you are in the NYC DMA, than you are paying about 80 cents a month.
Multiple the 80 cents a month by the millions of cable subscribers in the NYC DMA who don't watch or want the BTN as it is a substantial amount. Add advertising losses as well, and the ballgame changes. I ask again, does anyone know how many people on average in the NYC DMA watch the BTN on a regular basis?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Multiple the 80 cents a month by the millions of cable subscribers in the NYC DMA who don't watch or want the BTN as it is a substantial amount. Add advertising losses as well, and the ballgame changes. I ask again, does anyone know how many people on average in the NYC DMA watch the BTN on a regular basis?

Why don't you start a grass roots organization to get it off the air, then. Use your own money or start a go fund me account. Take the time to get rid of that 80 cents off of your bill. It will be well worth your money to do so.

I'll get you started - Take an ad out in the NYT or channels 2,4,5 and 7 and start the campaign. Get the word out there. Fire up a web site. You will need buy a host and a domain, start a social media blitz (you will need to purchase a monthly subscription to a social media scheduler of course) and write two to three blogs a week (hire a blog writer if you aren't a writer). You will need to get your Klout social media score up to about 45 to really make an impact. Don't forget your website security. Grassroots organizations are targets for overseas hackers (they normally don't have very good security on their sites). If you don't have time to do all of this (I assume you have a job), you may want to hire a virtual assistant. Good US based VA's run around $50 and hour.

The campaign will consist of you trying to convince millions of people to cancel their cable subscriptions over an 80 cent fee on their bill. Getting rid of ESPN, Fox News or any other channel they enjoy watching over 80 cents seems like an easy thing. Just let them know you want to get UConn in the Big10 and it will work like a charm.

Remember:

You are doing this to get UConn in the Big10.

Reaction Score

Figures I live in the part of CT that is in the NYC DMA... 80 cents/month for me.

Reaction Score
Buddy, relax man. Enjoy UConn athletics for the next few years, because after that it'll begin to decline due to lack of funding. Eventually all but maybe 20-30 schools will be in the same boat as us when football and perhaps men's basketball break away from the NCAA and traditional conference structure. Sooner rather than later the money schools will grow impatient with sharing the pie with freeloaders once their revenues stop growing.

Reaction Score

Family and I watch BTN so we can watch college baseball, softball and volleyball. Those are sports my kids play in high school, and hopefully college, so they like to watch and learn from

Reaction Score
Why don't you start a grass roots organization to get it off the air, then. Use your own money or start a go fund me account. Take the time to get rid of that 80 cents off of your bill. It will be well worth your money to do so.

I'll get you started - Take an ad out in the NYT or channels 2,4,5 and 7 and start the campaign. Get the word out there. Fire up a web site. You will need buy a host and a domain, start a social media blitz (you will need to purchase a monthly subscription to a social media scheduler of course) and write two to three blogs a week (hire a blog writer if you aren't a writer). You will need to get your Klout social media score up to about 45 to really make an impact. Don't forget your website security. Grassroots organizations are targets for overseas hackers (they normally don't have very good security on their sites). If you don't have time to do all of this (I assume you have a job), you may want to hire a virtual assistant. Good US based VA's run around $50 and hour.

The campaign will consist of you trying to convince millions of people to cancel their cable subscriptions over an 80 cent fee on their bill. Getting rid of ESPN, Fox News or any other channel they enjoy watching over 80 cents seems like an easy thing. Just let them know you want to get UConn in the Big10 and it will work like a charm.

Remember:

You are doing this to get UConn in the Big10.[/QUOTE
I think you have really offered some great suggestions. Thank you, I see what I can do.

Reaction Score
Family and I watch BTN so we can watch college baseball, softball and volleyball. Those are sports my kids play in high school, and hopefully college, so they like to watch and learn from
I am so happy for you and your family. Just be sure to tell them when Rutgers is playing not to do what they do.

Reaction Score
Buddy, relax man. Enjoy UConn athletics for the next few years, because after that it'll begin to decline due to lack of funding. Eventually all but maybe 20-30 schools will be in the same boat as us when football and perhaps men's basketball break away from the NCAA and traditional conference structure. Sooner rather than later the money schools will grow impatient with sharing the pie with freeloaders once their revenues stop growing.
Thank you. I got head start on drinking today and thus the banter.

Reaction Score
Assuming you are in CT, you are payining ten cents a month. At that ten cents a month that you are paying, no one notices either way. .

Any quest to rally citizenry support that dropping a station... any station... from a bundled TV package that would only save the citizenry approx. 2 and a half cents a week, will be met with a collective yawn. Unless someone is a TV junkie, most people have never watched the vast majority of the TV stations on their TV package..... even once.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

It just gets a little frustrating when we do literally everything better than Rutgers (academics, athletics, etc.) and Rutgers gets the golden ticket. They're morons.

Reaction Score

They also like having what essentially amounts to a "bye week" when any of them play Rutgers. They like the opportunity to rest up and heal for the real competitive games in conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom