So what happened to all the Big XII talk? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So what happened to all the Big XII talk?

Reaction Score
If I had to wager a guess, I would say that every PAC 12 School would strongly prefer to remain a member of The PAC 12. I think its clear that they prefer the company of each other as opposed to joining The Big 12. They clearly see joining The Big 12 as a last resort. The only schools that seem to even reciprocate any interest in The Big 12 are Colorado which is driven by Deion's Desire to get back into Texas Recruiting, and possibly Arizona which is a basketball first type athletic department. The ultimate question is how bad will The PAC 12's Deal be?

The Big 12's greatest success was negotiating their deal before the PAC 12, and before the TV Dollars seemingly dried up. If the PAC Deal is somewhat decent including some linear TV Access, I don't think anyone moves. JMO but The Big 12 is going about this the wrong way. They think they need more P5 Brands, however how much weight do these brands really carry? The Big 12 should be looking at 2-4 more G5 Schools that they can elevate over the next decade. UConn, SDSU, USF, Tulane, SMU, Colorado State, Fresno State and Boise State all have been on the national stage. Everyone of them have equal or potential to be as valuable or more valuable than a lot of what will be available to The Big 12 when the ACC Implodes. Are schools like GT, BC, NCST really going to be that much more valuable languishing in The ACC for another decade than what UConn, USF or say Tulane could be a decade from now as members of the Big 12?

Reaction Score
If a b12 invite ( or really any P5) comes, we aren’t letting the BE exit fee stop us. No chance. If need be we do what lots of schools have done…sue and negotiate a smaller fee with some other components like basketball games against St John’s and PC.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

There have also been reported rumors of UConn, Gonzaga, Colorado and Memphis joining as well, but Yormark declined to comment on other potential additions.

“We want to be in all four time zones, and expansion is a big part of it,” Yormark said. “I would say that we have a plan for expansion. I’ve never mentioned one school that we want.”

As the conference prepares for its future commercial plans within the U.S. and abroad, Yormark said the Big 12 is only just getting started with its new ideas.

“I don’t have a crystal ball. But if I did, I think we’re about three or four or five years down the road from being a top national conference,” Yormark said.

Reaction Score

There have also been reported rumors of UConn, Gonzaga, Colorado and Memphis joining as well, but Yormark declined to comment on other potential additions.

“We want to be in all four time zones, and expansion is a big part of it,” Yormark said. “I would say that we have a plan for expansion. I’ve never mentioned one school that we want.”

As the conference prepares for its future commercial plans within the U.S. and abroad, Yormark said the Big 12 is only just getting started with its new ideas.

“I don’t have a crystal ball. But if I did, I think we’re about three or four or five years down the road from being a top national conference,” Yormark said.
“I have no emotion toward Texas and Oklahoma leaving,” Yormark said. “They’ll always be a part of the history of the Big 12. But I came here with fresh ideas and a different type of background * and I want us to innovate and disrupt in a positive way, with or without them,”

*Brett Yormark. former CEO of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets’ parent company BSE Global

BSE Global is the parent company of Barclays Center, the Brooklyn Nets, its NBA G League team the Long Island Nets, and its NBA 2K League affiliate NetsGC. BSE Global also provides shared services to the New York Liberty, the WNBA sister team of the Brooklyn Nets.

Yormark spent 14 years as CEO of BSE Global, which manages and controls Barclays Center, the Brooklyn Nets, and the Nets’ NBA G League team, the Long Island Nets. During his tenure, he also expanded BSE’s venue footprint by leading the renovation, reopening and subsequent operation of NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Long Island, and Manhattan’s iconic Webster Hall. While at BSE Global, Yormark had oversight for all facets of Barclays Center and NYCB LIVE, including operations, event programming, sales, and marketing.

After joining the Nets in 2005, Yormark led the team’s 2012 move to Brooklyn, including the rebranding that established the Nets as a global lifestyle brand. In overseeing the transformation from New Jersey to Brooklyn, Yormark led the team to placements in the top tier of every major business matrix, including ticket sales, merchandise and sponsorship.

Under his leadership, Barclays Center and NYCB LIVE were consistently named among the industry’s top venues worldwide in ticket sales by leading industry publications Billboard, Pollstar, and VenuesNow. Yormark brought the hottest names in music to the venues under his purview, including opening Barclays Center with eight consecutive nights of sold-out shows from legendary rapper JAY-Z. Barclays Center and NYCB LIVE also welcomed legends including Barbra Streisand, Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé, Billy Joel, Elton John, Coldplay, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Pearl Jam, and many more.

On the sports side of the business, he brought professional boxing back to Brooklyn for the first time since 1931, and saw Barclays Center host dozens of world championship fight nights. College basketball also became a mainstay in Brooklyn, with Yormark securing agreements to host the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, and the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Tournament, alongside matchups between many of the nation’s top programs such as Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina, among others.

Reaction Score
A lack of Big 12 expansion discussion doesn't concern me. There has enough talk already to convince me that there is some interest on the part of the Big 12 to expand. Silence doesn't change that.

If Yormark starts saying something along the lines of 'this isn't the right time to expand', or if the Big 12 announces that 4 PAC schools are joining then I will be concerned.

Reaction Score
If I had to wager a guess, I would say that every PAC 12 School would strongly prefer to remain a member of The PAC 12. I think its clear that they prefer the company of each other as opposed to joining The Big 12. They clearly see joining The Big 12 as a last resort. The only schools that seem to even reciprocate any interest in The Big 12 are Colorado which is driven by Deion's Desire to get back into Texas Recruiting, and possibly Arizona which is a basketball first type athletic department. The ultimate question is how bad will The PAC 12's Deal be?

The Big 12's greatest success was negotiating their deal before the PAC 12, and before the TV Dollars seemingly dried up. If the PAC Deal is somewhat decent including some linear TV Access, I don't think anyone moves. JMO but The Big 12 is going about this the wrong way. They think they need more P5 Brands, however how much weight do these brands really carry? The Big 12 should be looking at 2-4 more G5 Schools that they can elevate over the next decade. UConn, SDSU, USF, Tulane, SMU, Colorado State, Fresno State and Boise State all have been on the national stage. Everyone of them have equal or potential to be as valuable or more valuable than a lot of what will be available to The Big 12 when the ACC Implodes. Are schools like GT, BC, NCST really going to be that much more valuable languishing in The ACC for another decade than what UConn, USF or say Tulane could be a decade from now as members of the Big 12?
Arizona would prefer the Pac to stay a major conference and to stay in it. Arizona as a university needs to recruit students from California more than anywhere. Doesn't mean they won't move if they see the Pac dying.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing either Yormark doesn't have the votes to add us now, or there's no partner to go with us at this time. We're 7 weeks out from the start of football season after which time no one is going to be focused on realignment until next spring when we'll do this dance again.
I hate to be a downer, but my gut tells me we are staying independent until we get an ACC implosion. Then we will be in a conference with those remnants. Pray to God I'm wrong.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's not when we signed the contract, it's six years from when we joined which was July 1, 2020. So if we care about the exit fee being reduced from $30M to $15M (hint -- in the context of joining a P-5 conference we do not), we could not leave the Big East until summer of 2026.

Still four payments of $7.5 million over a four year period is easily doable with B12 money coming in.

Reaction Score
The current PAC-12 reminds me of the old Big East in so many ways. The academic arrogance and this conference of champions delusion have really got to some of these Pac-12 president's heads. They made so many mistakes over the years.

- they had their chances to destroy the Big-12 when Texas and OU were looking at one time. Texas was a pain in the ass to deal with, but they could have added OU by itself. I knew some in the PAC-12 were too impressed with OU's academics.

- They had their picks of B12 teams like Kansas right where Texas and OU announced they were leaving. They didn't make a move cause USC blocked it, and some presidents didn't want to be associated with B12 schools due to academics.

- They could have added Boise State, BYU, SDSU, UNLV etc, but they decided none of these schools were worthy due to academics or religion.

PAC-12 is Titanic on its last legs. They will limping along for a few more years, and will blow up once OU and Washington get their golden ticket to the B1G

For the record, I predicted USC and UCLA to the B1G years ago. I know that would happen cause USC has been bitching about revenue for years prior.
I'll never understand the "conference of champions" thing. Like the vast majority of championships they have are in sports only they care about like what

Reaction Score

That's a really odd take. If Yormark doesn't think the Big 12 is "a top national conference" today, what does he think it is? 5 years down the road? Maybe the PAC has some moves which will make the Big 12 number 5 after all.

Reaction Score
Arizona would prefer the Pac to stay a major conference and to stay in it. Arizona as a university needs to recruit students from California more than anywhere. Doesn't mean they won't move if they see the Pac dying.
The PAC 12 is dying. They can’t finalize a media deal and I’m not sure how they could with Oregon and Washington looking for a way out. That’s a death knell for that league. That devalues the conference with the remaining schools in limbo. Looks like the Arizona schools and Utah are scrambling for the first lifeboat. I think Colorado already grabbed one. My prediction is Arizona, ASU, Colorado and us to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I hate to be a downer, but my gut tells me we are staying independent until we get an ACC implosion. Then we will be in a conference with those remnants. Pray to God I'm wrong.
i kind of like the idea of beating up on BC again (bball wise that is)

Reaction Score
I'll never understand the "conference of champions" thing. Like the vast majority of championships they have are in sports only they care about like what
One of the reasons is they do win many championships in Olympic sports. I mean Stanford is number 1 in Director's Cup standing literally every year. It is not exactly hard to recruit a kid anywhere in the country to go to Stanford, be in Palo Alto for 4 years, and do swimming or something. They don't have to pitch hard to get a kid to play an Olympic sport at Palo Alto or UC Berkeley on a scholarship. Those factors contributed to many championships at the PAC-12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i kind of like the idea of beating up on BC again (bball wise that is)
... and in football, and in hockey, and in baseball...

Reaction Score
SDSU seems like a s-show and I don't think Yormark values improperly managed entities. They've done themselves no favors the past few weeks.
yeah, they played too many games, if I were in charge I'd be very curious about what the heck they were up to and I'd low key tell them to handle things as a business or you'll find yourself out of business.

---

I think everybody knew nothing was happening until the PAC12 resolved and even various contingencies didn't mean it'd play for UConn right away.

Reaction Score
He means making the B12 the P3 over the PAC and ACC.
That still sounds soft. Right now there are 5 power conferences and his is one of them. So his goal is to hope the PAC and ACC implode making the Big 12 victorious by surviving. That's weak

Reaction Score
I think there’s like a 1 in 50 shot we get an invite. I don’t think it’s in the cards.

UConn’s gonna be a late add in the ACC once their foundation starts to crumble

Reaction Score
The football world will be completely different in a decade...when the ACC GOR only has two years left on it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

I don’t have a membership but these two comments seemed pertinent:

Pokes4158
He literally said he has sources and they were told the big 12 is not done this summer. Not really click bait at that point. I think all the things you said we social media driven narratives he specifically said they don't use. Everything you said was kind of pointless there.

Robert Allen
Staff
No Gonzaga. No Memphis because those aren't happening. Arizona State not willing to go. Utah also staying put. Arizona on the fence but our sources insist Colorado and UConn are most likely.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah don't know where things stand now, but here's a reminder of the presents Connecticut has in NYC and especially MSG:

You're welcome Commissioner Yormark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom