So what happened to all the Big XII talk? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So what happened to all the Big XII talk?

Reaction Score
We should be ahead of Utah, no matter what incentives they have for themselves.

Great Salt Lake is a few years away from reaching its final state as a bone-dry shallow saucer full of 100 years of previously-dissolved toxic chemicals. When the winds blow those across the region, they are facing a massive ecological and public-health disaster.

Who in their right mind will want them in a conference ahead of us?
To answer your question, the PAC, obviously, and also the Big 12. UU is AAU and has some football history, particularly when Urban Meyer was coach. UU would be a natural rival for BYU if in the Big 12.

The jury's still out on the future of the Great Salt Lake. As of now, water levels are rising again and sailing activity has resumed there. SLC forms the nucleus of an attractive metro in a beautiful setting, nestled as it is below the Wasatch Front. When in town, one is hardly aware of the lake and its status. If I find any fault with the place, it's that traffic can be heavy and a bit tedious when driving north-south on the I-15 corridor between Ogden and Provo.

Winds have been blowing across the great salt desert of western Utah since forever, and I'm not aware that the folks in SLC are being poisoned by airborne toxins. In fact, Utah ranks at or near the top as a healthy state.

Reaction Score

And I go back to what Flugaur said (because I believe he's correct in this case): Yormark has political capital with the Presidents because he got them a great media contract because of his media connections. Dennis Dodd came out and said it "... The Big 12 is making more money in the new deal without Oklahoma and Texas, and that's what people in the industry cannot believe. Brett Yormark did that. .."

The Presidents have bought in to his ideas, including playing in Mexico and partnering with Rucker Park. “Rucker Park is one of the great landmarks in basketball and is a cultural icon – we are excited to be able to bring Big 12 Basketball to its court,” said Commissioner Brett Yormark in a statement. “We are committed to growing the Conference’s footprint in a variety of ways, and we want kids across New York City to experience Big 12 Basketball first-hand.”

By the way, here is a good article about the Big12 and Rucker Park and recruiting NYC kids:

Reaction Score
No. Check the Michigan, NCST, and Syracuse scores. But things will be different this year.
Right cuz three games negate all the impressive stuff they accomplished last year, especially while down so many of their starters. Listen, I'm not saying they were a fantastic team last season, but to say they're still terrible is to be detached from reality

Reaction Score
Its always been a famine mentality with every former Big East school and UConn. Almost like they are afraid UConn's success in BB could be repeatable in FB.
And they are right, it could be.

Reaction Score
Right cuz three games negate all the impressive stuff they accomplished last year, especially while down so many of their starters. Listen, I'm not saying they were a fantastic team last season, but to say they're still terrible is to be detached from reality
Remember short attention spans. What stood out was the thumpings UConn got. That's what got retained. But not to worry. Gonna be some improvement, either slow and steady or even a bit faster. One of those QB's is gonna catch on fire.

Reaction Score
Yes, even UConn BB fans were calling drop football after seeing the Michigan score.

Reaction Score
I think you're actually referring to conference realignment rule #2: Do not submit your resignation from a conference until you actually have a place to go.
That is actually the Rule of Life #2, not a realignment rule. I learned that very early in my career when I wanted to take three months off to ski Tucks, rock climb in the Gunks, and eat lobster in Maine unencumbered by tourists. It took me a bit longer to find a job after that than planned. Lucky I was young. Made a mental note not to make unforced errors in the future.

Reaction Score
I hope it was enjoyable and full of good memories. Took me 5 years after college to finally get a career job( 90s poor labor market). Best 5 years plus 4 college. No regrets.

Reaction Score
We need to pump the brakes. We squeaked out games against Fresno State and their backup QB, and Liberty. Coming off the absolute trainwreck of consecutive losing seasons, you aren't going to begin turning around the narrative thay school gave up on football.

The good news is that Dave Benedict managed to put together schedules that could turn minds arounds quickly. Beat NC State to start the season and interests are going to start to get piqued.

Reaction Score
We need to pump the brakes. We squeaked out games against Fresno State and their backup QB, and Liberty. Coming off the absolute trainwreck of consecutive losing seasons, you aren't going to begin turning around the narrative thay school gave up on football.

The good news is that Dave Benedict managed to put together schedules that could turn minds arounds quickly. Beat NC State to start the season and interests are going to start to get piqued.
Don't forget, like I said, that we squeaked out those games with plenty of our backups as well.

Reaction Score
I think Cincinnati fans are the worst. They don't want UConn in the Big 12.
I never understood the mentality of programs fighting their way into a P5 Conference but immediately wanting to close the door behind them. There is far more benefit to teams like UCF and Cincy adding a UConn than actively trying to keep them out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I never understood the mentality of programs fighting their way into a P5 Conference but immediately wanting to close the door behind them. There is far more benefit to teams like UCF and Cincy adding a UConn than actively trying to keep them out.
I think it's driven by a sense of unworthiness. From what I've seen the discounted four that were added to the big 12 view it as some sort of accomplishment, rather than a means to an end.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Takes more than one 6-7, season to wash away the stink of a terrible decade.
Yeah, but what happened before that decade should carry some sway. Especially that Baylor game. And terrible football to me means terrible facilities. And nothing could be further from the truth there. I'm wary of the experts that use words like terrible. They're the ones with an anti-UConn agenda.

Reaction Score
To answer your question, the PAC, obviously, and also the Big 12. UU is AAU and has some football history, particularly when Urban Meyer was coach. UU would be a natural rival for BYU if in the Big 12.

The jury's still out on the future of the Great Salt Lake. As of now, water levels are rising again and sailing activity has resumed there. SLC forms the nucleus of an attractive metro in a beautiful setting, nestled as it is below the Wasatch Front. When in town, one is hardly aware of the lake and its status. If I find any fault with the place, it's that traffic can be heavy and a bit tedious when driving north-south on the I-15 corridor between Ogden and Provo.

Winds have been blowing across the great salt desert of western Utah since forever, and I'm not aware that the folks in SLC are being poisoned by airborne toxins. In fact, Utah ranks at or near the top as a healthy state.
My question was rhetorical, but thanks for trying to answer it.

One source for the Salt Lake stuff is the New York Times:

But of course it is not hard to find counterarguments in the media. There are plenty of debaters who always like to downplay environmental issues; why should this issue be any different? If we can just solve that traffic problem, the lake will take care of itself I guess.

As for who brings more value to the BigXII:

UConn does. End of story. Utah's football history carries little weight, as does Urban Meyer. Jeez, Urban Meyer? Really?

BigXII's leadership seems to be forward-thinking, at least from everything we are reading. I guess if they choose Utah over UConn then I have misjudged them. But until that happens, I will be optimistic.

Reaction Score
My question was rhetorical, but thanks for trying to answer it.

One source for the Salt Lake stuff is the New York Times:

But of course it is not hard to find counterarguments in the media. There are plenty of debaters who always like to downplay environmental issues; why should this issue be any different? If we can just solve that traffic problem, the lake will take care of itself I guess.

As for who brings more value to the BigXII:

UConn does. End of story. Utah's football history carries little weight, as does Urban Meyer. Jeez, Urban Meyer? Really?

BigXII's leadership seems to be forward-thinking, at least from everything we are reading. I guess if they choose Utah over UConn then I have misjudged them. But until that happens, I will be optimistic.
Just curious, does that NY Times article also opine about the relative merits of UConn vs. UU, or is your optimism just fan-boy wishful thinking? UConn may very well be invited to join the Big 12, but if it is, it won't be because it offers greater value than UU. And it won't be over worries that UU is downwind from the Great Salt Lake. It'll be because UU was asked first and politely declined in favor of remaining in the PAC. As far as panning UU's football history, how does it compare with that of UConn? Well, for one thing, UU has one. End of story.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just curious, does that NY Times article also opine about the relative merits of UConn vs. UU, or is your optimism just fan-boy wishful thinking? UConn may very well be invited to join the Big 12, but if it is, it won't be because it offers greater value than UU. And it won't be over worries that UU is downwind from the Great Salt Lake. It'll be because UU was asked first and politely declined in favor of remaining in the PAC. As far as panning UU's football history, how does it compare with that of UConn? Well, for one thing, UU has one. End of story.
Thank you for your interest in Connecticut realignment.

Reaction Score
Lol no the NY Times article does not discuss realignment, because it is about the Great Salt Lake. I only linked it as a response to your climate-denying comments.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your calling out the article's lack of a position on conference realignment was an attempt at a joke. You cannot possibly be so foolish as to think that is an actual argument, can you?

That's another rhetorical question, you don't have to answer.

Meanwhile, your arguments for Utah all seem to all come back to their recent football history. Of course that history is better than UConn's--nobody denies that--but that is of little value to the BigXII. Look no further than Rutgers as exhibit A.

You accuse me of "fan boy wishful thinking" but honestly, it seems like you have a real sentimental attachment to Utah. That's fine, everyone is entitled to his opinion. Best of luck to you, your fellow Mormons, and your dying lake.

:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I’ve said before—It’s all coming down to Aug 31 —UConn vs NCt is the very first televised game played in the new season. (I’ve heard preview shows say “only x days to kickoff at 7:30 when UConn plays NCSt in the first game of the 2023 season”). Lots of eyeballs on us. We either come out strong and get some naysayers giving us grudging props —or we fall flat and ratify their opinions.
We better be ready— both the team and the fans. An empty stadium will also be a terrible look.

Reaction Score
As I’ve said before—It’s all coming down to Aug 31 —UConn vs NCt is the very first televised game played in the new season. (I’ve heard preview shows say “only x days to kickoff at 7:30 when UConn plays NCSt in the first game of the 2023 season”). Lots of eyeballs on us. We either come out strong and get some naysayers giving us grudging props —or we fall flat and ratify their opinions.
We better be ready— both the team and the fans. An empty stadium will also be a terrible look.
Unless something big happens between now and August 31st I don't think we get 30k for that game. I can't see it happening. I don't know where it'll come from but we need a big buzz to bring in a lot more people

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom