So are we AAC title contenders | The Boneyard

So are we AAC title contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm asking because I don't watch the other teams. All I know is that we went toe-to-toe on the road with a ranked SEC team. They had to pull out the Tiger Stripes to beat us. Doesn't that put us in the mix?

Reaction Score
I say why not? Memphis had a similar turn around in this conference last year. Our D should keep all games close. The key is the offensive line play -- it has to get much more consistent. If that happens, I think all of the other pieces are there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we beat Navy, then yes, I think we have a chance to play in the AAC Championshp Game.

Yes, its starts by beating Navy. Beat them and the team should have the confidence to feel good against the balance of the conference slate.

Reaction Score
On August 27th I wrote this on the Boneyard:
"Here's one of the under-the-radar realities for 2015. We are a much better team this year. In fact, I won't be surprised if we're in the conversation later his fall for the AAC title. One of the benefits of this utter dismissal of our chances is that UConn will be underdogs or close favorites in all of our games in the first half of the season. That's where you can make a bundle if you're so inclined.

So here's my answer Waquoit:

1. I hope you are fattening your wallet on the Huskies.
2. Make plans for The AAC Title Game.

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Part of this discussion is revolving around the rest of the conference. Honestly, I'm not seeing too much 'power' across the AAC. Temple looked awesome against Penn St., yesterday, not so much. No one in the conference looks unbeatable. Navy will be a huge test for us and possibly the best team we face in conference. Saying that...it's still VERY early in the season.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Very early. I'd say Navy, Temple, Houston and Memphis are the contenders. We fall into that tier with ECU as teams that could make run if things break right. We'll learn a lot more about AAC things by 4PM next Saturday.

Reaction Score
We'll learn a lot more about AAC things by 4PM next Saturday.
No need to wait. After yesterday, on the road, in that wild SEC environment, we can play with anyone. We now have a fabulous shot at sweeping the schedule and being one botched field goal call from an undefeated season.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No need to wait. After yesterday, on the road, in that wild SEC environment, we can play with anyone. We now have a fabulous shot at sweeping the schedule and being one botched field goal call from an undefeated season.

I think Mizzou is overrated. Their defense is good but I think their offense is a notch below ours (weird for me to say that!). For us, it was absolutely an impressive afternoon considering where we have been the past 4-5 years. But it wouldn't surprise me if they struggled with Kentucky and the rest of their SEC schedule. Maybe their FR Lock can help their offense out as the year progresses.

Reaction Score
No. We have not shown enough consistency across all three units to compete for the AAC championship yet. We have shown enough D to be able to beat almost anyone on a given day, but not enough O or special teams play to think we can win 6 of 8.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I was impressed with your defense yesterday. Bob Diaco is impressive, even though I still think his manufactured trophy for your game with UCF is silly. I think you have a good shot at winning the AAC this year since UCF is down.

Reaction Score
It seems like everybody besides UCF and Tulane showed decently OOC.

I don't think there will be many gimmes.

Reaction Score
I'm saying something now - that I have been saying quietly.

Diaco is Pete Carroll - like. It's in that enthusiasm & it is his unconventional unbridled willingness to try things. He's a nice person; so, he doesn't, or hasn't, grated on others nerves. Yet. If he starts winning, B1G, expect to hear some hyper ventilating on his minutest quirks.

But hell ... Carroll pulled a whopper on the last play of the Super Bowl. I'd love to rise & ride next Diaco as he climbs to that.

Reaction Score
Yes, my expectation is that our game at Temple at end of season will be trip to championship game.

Reaction Score
No gimmes this year.....maybe Tulane. anybody watch SMU last night. Very impressive against #3 TCU. Scored 19 straight points before finishing with 38 and losing by 14. Houston beat Louisville, Memphis has had a good two games, and these teams score points by the bucketful. Temple and Cincy are solid and Florida teams are always tough as is ECU. If we can knock off Navy, I think we are in the mix, but injuries can always derail you.

Reaction Score
I am not thinking conference championship game yet. I am focused on beating NAVY. (This from a UConn alum who has multiple members of his family who have served in the Navy & Marine Corps.) One battle at a time.
Extremely proud of this team's defense. Need to shore up on offense & special teams.
This Saturday will be a huge test.
Here is my priority: Beat Navy. Beat next opponent up. And the next. An so on. Get Bowl eligible. Dare to dream, yes. But focus on the task at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom