SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Base on what CPTV is saying, they were very close in their bids. Wow. My bad.

But it kinda makes me wonder how much their begging was overdone considering they bid around a million more for the 4 years.

Of course it was. Selling 101. I never believed they were just breaking even.
Or they were using that Hollywood accounting whereby a movie makes $500 million in revenue, but the accountants show it as having no profit.

Reaction Score

I understand the desire to increase UConn's footprint in NYC. All of the conference realignment has been around markets. UConn's ability to claim it brings a healthy chunk of the NYC market will be critical. Whether WBB really helps along those lines remains to be seen, but it is one of UConn's premium brands.

good point

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Of course it was. Selling 101. I never believed they were just breaking even.
Or they were using that Hollywood accounting whereby a movie makes $500 million in revenue, but the accountants show it as having no profit.
I guess I am just naive.

Jerry had me fooled. I want my money back.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rich Elliott's blog has more from Jerry and his disappointment.

But, as Rich points out:

CPTV simply cannot match up with SNY. The Huskies will now be seen in nearly 14 million households. SNY’s regional territory covers all of Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Northeast Pennsylvania, accounting for a total of 8.7 million households. Coupled with national coverage on DirecTV, Verizon FiOS, Comcast Cable and AT&T U-Verse, the network’s total distribution is 13.7 million homes.

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/

Reaction Score
Perhaps UConn feels that if they can increase their exposure and
fan following in the NYC area, that it will make them more
attractive to the ACC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As others have said - this is not simply a Uconn decision - Uconn is owned by the state and state laws regarding the RFP process are pretty fixed. If a single bid situation is called for, then giving either party a 'chance to match' would not be legal. Loyalty is a nice concept, but this is not a private institution/business and public moneys (tax dollars) are involved. Uconn and the state have to answer to all their residents, not just the fans of WCBB.
(I would not be surprised to discover that CPTV was actually the longest continuous State contractor. They have been great, but sports broadcasting has beccome a big business over the last ten years and this was bound to happen at some point.)

Reaction Score
Rich Elliott's blog has more from Jerry and his disappointment.

But, as Rich points out:

CPTV simply cannot match up with SNY. The Huskies will now be seen in nearly 14 million households. SNY’s regional territory covers all of Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Northeast Pennsylvania, accounting for a total of 8.7 million households. Coupled with national coverage on DirecTV, Verizon FiOS, Comcast Cable and AT&T U-Verse, the network’s total distribution is 13.7 million homes.

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/

Exactly. And that area covers A LOT of recruits.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I wonder what the reaction from the athletic department at Rutgers will be. Seems to me that this wider coverage of UConn wcbb into NYC and New Jersey presents a new and major challenge for them to compete with UConn for recruits.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wonder what the reaction from the athletic department at Rutgers will be. Seems to me that this wider coverage of UConn wcbb into NYC and New Jersey presents a new and major challenge for them to compete with UConn for recruits.
Perhaps so. But if we're talking conference alignment and the ability of UConn and Rutgers to present themselves as an attractive package deal that brings with it a compelling slice of the NYC market, Rutgers as a whole will be delighted. Not saying UConn WBB by itself gets the two schools there by itself, but it's a piece of a very delicate puzzle.

Reaction Score
They may have still been making significant money on it, but even if they were taking a loss they still would have to bid on it because they had already invested in all the infrastructure and it was still a ratings driver that they could advertise their other programming on. It is one of those bid now ask questions later situations.

Based on what CPTV is saying, they were very close in their bids. Wow. My bad.

But it kinda makes me wonder how much their begging was overdone considering they bid around a million more for the 4 years.

Reaction Score
dang no more Geno Show.. that sucks
There will be a new show called "Geno's Legacy".

I REALLY don't like the legacy word . . . it sounds like his best work is behind him.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm just a softie but I'll miss Harriet, Mary and Larry - all who seemed to TRULY be UConn fans.

Without CPTV, who knows if the women's games would have taken such a strong hold in this state? I know I'm not thinking with a "business mind" but they should have been given the opportunity to match SNY's offer.

Question for the board - Don't you think Geno will work it out to take Meghan with him to SNY? Their history and camaraderie can't be matched by an unknown on SNY.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There will be a new show called "Geno's Legacy".

I REALLY don't like the legacy word . . . it sounds like his best work is behind him.
That won't be his weekly show; that will be the show that interviews former players.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that many government contracts must go to the best $$ offer as long as all the criteria of the RFP are met. I don't know if those rules apply to this situation.

http://www.purchasing.uconn.edu/staff/bids/KJ100711_local_television_broadcast_rights.pdf

3.9.3 The University reserves the right to award a contract not based solely on the firm with the lowest cost, but based on an offer which, in the sole opinion of the University best fulfills or exceeds the requirements of this RFP and is deemed to be in the best interest of the University.

IMO - This is all about market penetration. SNY has a much larger reach (nationally) than CPTV - who did a phenomenal job over the years.

Reaction Score
That won't be his weekly show; that will be the show that interviews former players.

That makes it somewhat better.

At least they're not calling it "Geno's Dynasty"!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Perhaps UConn feels that if they can increase their exposure and
fan following in the NYC area, that it will make them more
attractive to the ACC.
Putting UConn's most succesfull program in the NY metro area (and others) is huge. HUGE. That is a big plus to UConn's attractiveness to the ACC and B1G.

It also means a lot to the earnings of all the UConn stars from endorsements. Look for plenty of advertising featuring Sue Bird and Tina Charles (NY'ers) plus DT, Swin and Maya right away. And Bria and Stef among other future stars down the road.

mr006

Reaction Score
18 years with CPTV? And just like many 18 year olds, out the door and on their own... I guess our sport has grown up :( . It's hard to imagine that our team needs any more exposure for recruiting purposes - I mean really, if you're in women's basketball and haven't heard of UConn.... My access to games is now at the mercy and whim of the cable companies (which is not something to put your faith in). On the other hand, I no longer need to find the $$$ to donate for the games. Maybe they'll use some of that money to upgrade Gampel - some seatbacks with cup holders, maybe? :p.

Reaction Score
I'm sad to learn that CPTV lost the rights to broadcast UConn games. I'm currently a student at SDSU, a native resident of CT prior, who never missed a game and would watch games via hoop stream in San Diego. Now it looks like I'll only be able to see the games televised on ESPN/ESPN2/CBS. Sad that the almighty dollar won out.

Reaction Score
I'm sad to learn that CPTV lost the rights to broadcast UConn games. I'm currently a student at SDSU, a native resident of CT prior, who never missed a game and would watch games via hoop stream in San Diego. Now it looks like I'll only be able to see the games televised on ESPN/ESPN2/CBS. Sad that the almighty dollar won out.

Games may still be available online. To be determined.

Reaction Score
1) Thanks to CPTV for all they did, and they did a lot. I'm sure no one from SNY will monitor the BY and hold our hand when needed like Harriet did.
2) While CPTV did do a good job, I expect SNY will do EVEN BETTER! I look at it like UConn WBB was like a "hobby" for CPTV: It is SNY's business.
3) It will be interesting to see who they name for the announce team. I liked Eric, too, and it sounds like he has a foot in the door.
4) Wonder if CPYV might like to keep their hand in the game by broadcasting Sun games?
5) One thing I will NOT miss about the CPTV telecasts will be waiting up to half an hour for a two-minute post-game interview while they "reach their (pledge) goal"
6) I wouldn't worry about SNY skipping any games...remember that 17 is the minimum, not the number of games. Maybe SNY will even air some preseason games.
7) I do feel for those who live out of the area. I briefly was without cable, and signed up for Hoop Streams...a complete waste of money IMO. If you can pay for Hoop Streams, and you really want to see the girls play, you will find a way.
8) I trust that SNY will do a better job with our games than ESPN did...final buzzer and they're GONE!

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if SNY is part of a premium sports package or whether its part of basic cable on Comcast?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if SNY is part of a premium sports package or whether its part of basic cable on Comcast?

They are not part of the Charter premium sports package. We here in Western Mass are SOL. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom