SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if we can get these games in Tampa area ... new cable provider for me, and I barely have a handle on the channel lineup as it is right now!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This absolutely sucks. Those of us in MA that get Charter will not see any of the games on TV (yeah maybe they are shown on ESPN 3, but it's not the same) and I, for one, am not changing providers just to help UCONN sports line their pockets even more. Loyalty to the wonderful folks at CPTV seems to be a thing of the past. I know people will say it's just a business but they were there when no one else was and that in my book counts for something. This is by far worse than hearing that DD went to UNC.

The broadcasting rights were put out for public bid by the University and were subject to Connecticut laws governing UConn procurement practices. I doubt very much that loyalty was a factor the University could rely on for its decision. I don't doubt that for Geno this decision is bittersweet; I know I feel a certain sadness and gratitude for the team at CPTV. But the University is obligated to award the contract to the highest and best bid.

Reaction Score
The announcement says a minimum of 17 games. Last year CPTV broadcasted 21 UConn games, but remember that a few of the games were added to the broadcast schedule after the schedule was initially announced. For a few games, CPTV had to negotiate rights with local broadcast networks (e.g., the Marquette game (who will ever forget that announcing team), the DePaul game, etc). So, I would expect all of the games not carried by national networks or played in the VI will be carried by SNY. If not, they'll hear from us!!

Thanks. I didn't have time to look up the number of games that CPTV broadcast last year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The announcement says a minimum of 17 games. Last year CPTV broadcasted 21 UConn games, but remember that a few of the games were added to the broadcast schedule after the schedule was initially announced. For a few games, CPTV had to negotiate rights with local broadcast networks (e.g., the Marquette game (who will ever forget that announcing team), the DePaul game, etc). So, I would expect all of the games not carried by national networks or played in the VI will be carried by SNY. If not, they'll hear from us!!

By golly gosh, that girl was a doozy!!

:D

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Wonder how Geno feels about doing a weekly show? Suspect we may see more of CD and the assistants.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can see the logic in the decision and acknowledge that it may be an improvement in some ways. We'll see.

Speaking as a long-time viewer, I will miss Harriet, Larry, Mary, Meghan and Bob. As Paul Newman (Henry Gondorff) said to Robert Redford (Johnny Hooker) in "The Sting" after fleecing Doyle Lonnigan in the card game on the train, "You've got a tough act to follow, kid."

Reaction Score
The saying "Your going to miss me when I'm gone" is very very true, you guys didn't know how good you had it. Oh well, I will miss them stinking UCONN Teddy Bears! The fat lady is singing!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This absolutely sucks. Those of us in MA that get Charter will not see any of the games on TV (yeah maybe they are shown on ESPN 3, but it's not the same) and I, for one, am not changing providers just to help UCONN sports line their pockets even more. Loyalty to the wonderful folks at CPTV seems to be a thing of the past. I know people will say it's just a business but they were there when no one else was and that in my book counts for something. This is by far worse than hearing that DD went to UNC.

Don't change providers. Start contacting Charter and get them to carry SNY. As a neighboring state, you would think there would be a huge market for UConn men's basketball, football and women's basketball.

It's bad news for a small minority and I'm upset for you, but there were many others that didn't get CPTV for the last 18 years.

It's denfinately a good move for UConn. Added exposure helps recruiting (NY area has some great players) and 300K more per year is nothing to sneeze at.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As an outsider - I always suspected most fans not in Connecticut would find SNY even better. With DirecTV when I lived in NJ I did get the CPTV feed (on some obscure station that was apparently part of the "local" programming), but out here, no. But I do get SNY, a whole bunch of Fox regionals, all the ESPN's, CBSSN, assorted other sports stations, so, as someone said above - if you are a WBB junkie, get DirecTV.

For anyone who cares, DirecTV has a special on NFL Sunday Ticket this year, only around $200 for the season vs. $325 last year. So any folks who live "out of market", this is a good year to consider it.

Reaction Score
And I'd like to thank CPTV for all they did the last 18 years.
Couldn't agree more about the great job CPTV did for this program for the last 18 years and I for one will miss them. But, nothing lasts forever and money always talks.
Enough cliches. I also have Comcast so I guess I will have no problem accessing the game while I am in CT. I need to determine what happens when I'm in FL in Feb & Mar. I was using the CPTV streaming feature which was really nice. Also, I hope there is not a decrease in the number of games televised.

Reaction Score
I have Optimum Cable which carries SNY so I will still see my beloved Huskies. The decision though is bitter sweet for me. I will miss the collection of characters associated with CPTV. They did give UCONN its start and I'm very greatful to them for that. SNY will give UCONN a greater viewing audience which should help with recruiting. Again thank you CPTV for all you're years of service.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wonder how Geno feels about doing a weekly show? Suspect we may see more of CD and the assistants.
All of whom are wonderful and lovely, so no complaints from me if that should transpire. :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'll miss Harriet, Larry and Mary. They are genuinely good people who I enjoyed welcoming into my home each game day. It was a tradition in our house to make out pledge during a Larry-Mary broadcast to send the message that we liked them best. BTW, wasn't Mary facing some health issues -- does anyone know how she is?

Reaction Score
Don't change providers. Start contacting Charter and get them to carry SNY. As a neighboring state, you would think there would be a huge market for UConn men's basketball, football and women's basketball.

It's bad news for a small minority and I'm upset for you, but there were many others that didn't get CPTV for the last 18 years.

It's denfinately a good move for UConn. Added exposure helps recruiting (NY area has some great players) and 300K more per year is nothing to sneeze at.

Doggy, At the moment I am not consoled.

Reaction Score
CPTV was outbidded by 20K...

Surely this is a joke, right?

I think CPTV did an outstanding job and I will miss them. they were there for UCONN WBB and stepped-up big-time when no one else would or did.
The CPTV team did a great job, their people are 1st class and the pledge drives didn;t bother me in the least. They were just doing what they needed to do to give us fans, the best and most comprehensive team / game coverage of any WBB program inthe country. Kudos to you CPTV, I will miss you. Good luck and try to win the rights back in 4 years.

Reaction Score
Every men's basketball game on SNY has been on ESPN3. Don't see why this would be any different.

ESPN produces the Big East men's basketball games for the Big East Network, so naturally those games are also on ESPN3. SNY picks up that package through its agreement with UConn. SNY is the new producer of UConn women's basketball, not ESPN through the Big East Network. Because of this, it doesn't necessarily follow that the UConn women's games will be available on ESPN3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom