Should we be recruiting High Jumpers? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should we be recruiting High Jumpers?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Gabby is a rare find, because she was a high jumper, and she played basketball. You have more basketball players who play soccer, volleyball and run track. Kia is truly a rare find, because she played hockey. As long as the players have played basketball too, I say if they can help UConn and they are team players, by all means yes.

Reaction Score
The 11 sec in the 100 yd is not impressive, but given his prowess in the triple jump and the shot, I wonder if he ever entered a decathlon. The high-jump, triple (not a decathlon event), and shot numbers are off the charts; presumably he'd excel in the broad jump, discuss, and javelin. The 100 number is good in a decathlon field (NCAA in the late 50's); I'd expect he'd be fine in the hurdles and 440. That only leaves the mile and pole vault. I think he could pretty much use the pole to help himself over the bar at 8 feet (I think that was the minimum for scoring then/there), and wouldn't think he'd embarrass himself in the mile.

Okay, I'm a frustrated decathlete whose coach forgot to enter him in the CT state championships way back when. Sorry for the way-too-in-depth analysis. ;)

Reportedly this 7'1", 240 lb., goliath ran the 100 yard dash in 10.9 in the 50s. That's pretty impressive to me! Accordingly, his bests in other events were:

high jump 6'6"
long jump 22'
440y 49.0
880y 1:58.3
shot put 53'4"

He was also a very good volleyball player. To my knowledge he never completed in a decathlon, but has been quoted as saying he thought he could break the world record in it.

Reaction Score
Reportedly this 7'1", 240 lb., goliath ran the 100 yard dash in 10.9 in the 50s. That's pretty impressive to me! Accordingly, his bests in other events were:

high jump 6'6"
long jump 22'
440y 49.0
880y 1:58.3
shot put 53'4"

Note that the above were all times/distances from high school.

Reaction Score
Note that the above were all times/distances from high school.

What's your point with that comment? The subject of this thread is about whether UConn should recruit high jumpers. In that sense, these potential recruits would ALL be in high school. You are also INCORRECT in claiming "all times/distances" were from high school. My sources report that at least the 100 yard dash and shot put marks were while he was attending Kansas.

Reaction Score
What's your point with that comment? The subject of this thread is about whether UConn should recruit high jumpers. In that sense, these potential recruits would ALL be in high school. You are also INCORRECT in claiming "all times/distances" were from high school. My sources report that at least the 100 yard dash and shot put marks were while he was attending Kansas.

Lighten up. The point is that those marks are much more impressive, having been done in HS , than if they had been done as a junior in college.

Btw, he threw the shot 53-4 when in HS.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I might made that one up about Kia curling. :D

But didn't she play some organized youth hockey? Don't recall where I heard that. For sure, she played some pond hockey with family.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
But didn't she play some organized youth hockey? Don't recall where I heard that. For sure, she played some pond hockey with family.
Of course she did, she's Canadian it's mandated!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom