Shocking result in Baylor game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Shocking result in Baylor game

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Years ago technical fouls were called for taking a shot after a whistle, and for not shutting up and raising your hand if you committed a foul. I guess I'm old school, but I liked it that way.
Wow you are old school :)
Were the coaches not allowed to constantly berate the officials about every single call like they are now?

Reaction Score
Agree. She is a warrior. Did not like the "T". Refs must understand the emotion and the moment. Could have given her a warning and talking to.

Then she "must understand the emotion and the moment" and realize what she did could (and did) cost her team.

Far too often in sports, and in life, we use "emotion" and "heat of the moment" as an excuse for bad behavior. At some point we all have to earn that no matter how upset we are, there are rules, standards, etc. In this case it probably didn't cost the game, but in another game - or in some other life situation, it may be a more expensive lesson.

And notice that neither she nor Kim protested. Pretty much all you have to really know...

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wow you are old school :)
Were the coaches not allowed to constantly berate the officials about every single call like they are now?
No. They'd get T'd in a beat. Nor could they call TO's. I do remember players beefing constantly while their hands were up though.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. Baylor has the better record and better team.

Weaker SOS and less RPI top 25 wins. Loss Conference Tourney Championship and we won ours. They were without one of their best players and so were we. I think SC is very deserving of the #3 overall slot. Baylor can have OKC and we'll keep Stockton. I just want our girls to have a semifinal of ND/MD rather then UCONN.

Reaction Score
Why would USC move ahead of Baylor? Losing to Mizzo is just as bad as losing to WVA. Baylor didn't have their star player. She is playing Tourney time, right? I think Miss State is a paper tiger.
And we didn't have a good player for us either. Alaina Coates sat out most of the tourney and we still won agaisnt a top 10 team and Baylor lost agaisnt an unranked team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Weaker SOS and less RPI top 25 wins. Loss Conference Tourney Championship and we won ours. They were without one of their best players and so were we. I think SC is very deserving of the #3 overall slot. Baylor can have OKC and we'll keep Stockton. I just want our girls to have a semifinal of ND/MD rather then UCONN.

Actually, they have the same number of RPI top-25 wins (10), but SC does have one more top-50 win (13 vs. 12).

There's no way to be sure at this point which half of the bracket Maryland will end up on.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And we didn't have a good player for us either. Alaina Coates sat out most of the tourney and we still won agaisnt a top 10 team and Baylor lost agaisnt an unranked team.

The committee will be smart enough to see that WV elevated its play in this tournament, and the fact that they were "unranked" will have no bearing in the analysis. They made Oklahoma look like a bad high school team and they also beat Texas.

Reaction Score
The resume comparison between Baylor and USC is a close call, but I do think it comes down to how much slack the committee cuts Baylor for being without Alexis Jones tonight.

South Carolina (27-4): RPI #3, SOS #4, 10 wins vs. RPI top 25, 13 wins vs. top 50.
Baylor (30-3): RPI #7, SOS #26, 10 top-25 wins, 12 top-50 wins.

SC clearly has a stronger resume and was without Alaina Coates and we won our tourney. Alexis Jones and Alaina Coates are both intricate pieces to their teams so their not really an argument there.

Plebe

Reaction Score
SC clearly has a stronger resume and was without Alaina Coates and we won our tourney. Alexis Jones and Alaina Coates are both intricate pieces to their teams so their not really an argument there.
Intricate pieces? Do you mean integral?

I'm not sure the committee would consider the Coates injury as "nullifying" the Jones injury. I've never heard of that rationale being considered, anyway. But who knows.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But then there's also the fact that SC lost to Missouri with Coates.

Reaction Score
The committee will be smart enough to see that WV elevated its play in this tournament, and the fact that they were "unranked" will have no bearing in the analysis. They made Oklahoma look like a bad high school team and they also beat Texas.

What does that mean? What if Tennessee won the SEC tourney? The Committee would've removed SC from #1 in a split second and made Tennessee a host and they have the same amount of losses. But SC beat #20 Kentucky who is hosting and has a top 15 RPI and #6 Miss St. who has a top 10 RPI. SC also raised their level of play with A'ja Wilson stats rose and well as Kaela Davis'. Wilson averaged 20.5 ppg 8.7 rpg and Davis with 16.9 ppg and 5.7 rpg. Remember the Committee has to see SC was without All American Alaina Coates with 13.7 ppg and 11.2 rpg. Baylor beat #20 K-State top 30 RPI and lost to WVU without Alexis Jones, so both teams were in the same boat and SC made it through and Baylor didn't in a weaker conference.

Plebe

Reaction Score
What does that mean? What if Tennessee won the SEC tourney? The Committee would've removed SC from #1 in a split second and made Tennessee a host and they have the same amount of losses.
Not necessarily. Tennessee winning the SEC tourney would mean that MSU would've also lost, and with Oregon St losing to Stanford, I doubt anyone else would've been able to leapfrog SC for the final #1 spot.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Tennessee losing would mean that MSU would've also lost, and with Oregon St losing to Stanford, I doubt anyone else would've been able to leapfrog SC for the final #1 spot.

That's really besides the point Plebe. SC won their Conference and Baylor lost theirs. Baylor was without a key player and so was SC. SC Conference is stronger and won outright with a player missing. There's no way SC doesn't deserve that 3rd #1 seed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That's really besides the point Plebe. SC won their Conference and Baylor lost theirs. Baylor was without a key player and so was SC. SC Conference is stronger and won outright with a player missing. There's no way SC doesn't deserve that 3rd #1 seed.
I admire the force of your conviction, but the advantage of not being a homer is that I can see things more objectively.

The difference in conference strength between the SEC and the Big 12 is negligible and will have no bearing on the committee's decision.

SC's higher SOS will be a factor in the deliberations, but of course that is counterbalanced by the fact that SC lost one more game than Baylor did.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You are right that they are taught to give a "T", but they do have a choice. Emotions are part of playing the game. There was no harm done to the opposition and no advantage was attained. I can see your point, "that is what happens (call a T) most of the time", so they have to call it. Good refs could do better, IMO. I guess I am in the minority.

Technical fouls have nothing to do with harming the opponent or gaining an unfair advantage in the game. Sometimes they do have something to do with a play in the game, like a flagrant foul that's automatically a technical, but otherwise a technical is the same as an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in football. Most of them are called for inappropriate behavior during dead ball situations having nothing to do with the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
37.9% 36.7% 69.6% FG% 3% FT% of WV. This was an ugly game where Mulkey could not adjust to pressure the guards and in the end the differential was mostly free throw differential.

Reaction Score

1-- And they had one less loss.
1b -- You lost to Tenn and Duke. While Baylor just lost to Texas.
1c - IMO Texas is better than Tenn and Duke.
2- Baylor was higher on Sagarin (though RPI has USC).
3-- And Jones is a better college player than Coates. IMO she should be in the top ten.
3b-- Jones is the best player on her team. Coates is not. Thus the loss of each player is not comparable.
3c-- Not understanding the impact of Baylro not having their best player, their lead pg vs USC not having their best center-- is to not understand the impact of a palyer on each team. You can't look at it one-for one. What if Washngton loses Plum? Is that the same vs another team that loses their top player but has more balance?
3d-- Even if you felel they are equal -- you should be judging how strong they are for the team most likely that will PLAY in the NCAAA's. Having a deeper bench usually shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Woke up to this score. I'm a little stunned. I recorded the game and will catch it later. I would have thought Baylor would have won but WVU has been a foul/bad shooting night away from being a great team all season. They battled Baylor in Waco.

Reaction Score
Does this drop Baylor out of the #1 Seed. Losing to West Virginia is a Bad Loss. Might move Miss St up to a one seed.

No it's not. Wv beat okla, Tex, and bay. That's not luck.
Baylor is absolutely a 1 seed. They could drop to the 4th one though.

Reaction Score
1-- And they had one less loss.
1b -- You lost to Tenn and Duke. While Baylor just lost to Texas.
1c - IMO Texas is better than Tenn and Duke.
2- Baylor was higher on Sagarin (though RPI has USC).
3-- And Jones is a better college player than Coates. IMO she should be in the top ten.
3b-- Jones is the best player on her team. Coates is not. Thus the loss of each player is not comparable.
3c-- Not understanding the impact of Baylro not having their best player, their lead pg vs USC not having their best center-- is to not understand the impact of a palyer on each team. You can't look at it one-for one. What if Washngton loses Plum? Is that the same vs another team that loses their top player but has more balance?
3d-- Even if you felel they are equal -- you should be judging how strong they are for the team most likely that will PLAY in the NCAAA's. Having a deeper bench usually shouldn't be a deciding factor.

You wasted your time typing this because we are ahead of them :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom