Shave Time. Shave Money? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shave Time. Shave Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Watching the video I noticed Bob likes the 5 o'clock shadow look. Or maybe he's got better things to do with his life than worry about a clean shave all the time.

It triggered something in my memory to a FB post one of my buddies posted about a week ago. It was for Harry's razor blade and shave system.

Any guy who needs to shave regularly knows that Gillette and Schick are making mojo cash because they have the market cornered for good, reliable shave products.

But I'm getting ticked off at dropping $15-$20 a month on blades.

Does anyone use the Dollar Shave Club blades or the Harry's or any other type of blade out of the mainstream?

These reviews give both Harry's and Dollar Shave decent reviews.

http://menshair.about.com/od/shavingadvice/Tyler Phommachanh/My-Picks-For-Top-5-Best-Razors.htm

And for the record, the video on the Dollar Shave Club website is clever and funny.

In the past I've bought my razors at Sam's Club. I hope they still stock them, because blade inserts for the Gillette Sensor Xcel III are getting harder and harder to find, and that's my point. One insert lasts me a couple months or more. That means a cartridge may last up to 2 years. I shave in the shower after I wash everything up and place my razor standing upright in a little basket so it can dry. Water will inevitably hit your face as you're washing your hair and if you wash your face both before and after you shave, you can tell how good you were at shaving that morning. Your hands will just glide over your face instead of feeling the sandpaper like scruff. If I shave outside the shower (i.e. my parent's bathroom does not have a shaving mirror or in hotels), it is always immediately after a shower, as in don't even dry off until I'm done.

And like that, you're monthly $20 expense turns into a $20 biannual expense.

Reaction Score
I work in tech now, so typically I only shave twice a week. So that saves on razors. When I was in banking I had to shave every day.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We're officially in silly season now. BBall has ended, spring football has ended.

So I went the route of Harry's blades. Got the starter package of the Winston set for $25. Comes with the razor, three blades and a tube of their shave cream. After reading several reviews I gotta agree the shaving cream sucks.

But the blades and handle have been great.

I was going through a 4-pack of the Gillette Fusion Series blades every four weeks. Between the daily shave and the 2-3 weeks of cleaning up the dome I was very fortunate to get a calendar month out of a 4-pack.

I started using the Harry's blades on March 1st. I'm on my 3rd blade right now. They've each lasted almost 3 weeks. I use them with my regular shaving cream and I get a clean shave- no nicks, no bumps.

Considering that a 8-pack re-order is $15 including shipping and handling, my costs are now about 1/6th of what they were for Gillette.

Being fully aware that blade/cream/face combos are unique for everyone results may vary, but the product is worth your time to check out if you're sick of paying the price for Gillette or Schick.

Harry's Website

Reaction Score
I signed up for the DSC and so far am really enjoying it. I understand they are repackaged Dorco blades, but I honestly do not have the space of willingness to store hundreds of blades in my house. The 3 dollars a month that I spent on the "Humble Twin" is saving me tons over what I was spending on Mach 3 refills and whatnot. I also give the fiance a blade or two out of my package each month, so it is saving her money as well. She seems to like the blades, havent heard a complaint out of her yet.

Reaction Score
Anyone use Cremo Shave Cream? A colleague of mine suggested it to me and it is a fantastic shave cream. A tube will last you about six months.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Anyone use Cremo Shave Cream? A colleague of mine suggested it to me and it is a fantastic shave cream. A tube will last you about six months.
I have actually been using a 'bar' soap from l'occutane for several years.

Usually one soap will last 8-9 months with a brush and daily use, and they have a decent soap dish/cover.

Plus, walking into their stores, usually beautiful women are able to help you 'find' the soap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom