Shave Time. Shave Money? | The Boneyard

Shave Time. Shave Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watching the video I noticed Bob likes the 5 o'clock shadow look. Or maybe he's got better things to do with his life than worry about a clean shave all the time.

It triggered something in my memory to a FB post one of my buddies posted about a week ago. It was for Harry's razor blade and shave system.

Any guy who needs to shave regularly knows that Gillette and Schick are making mojo cash because they have the market cornered for good, reliable shave products.

But I'm getting ticked off at dropping $15-$20 a month on blades.

Does anyone use the Dollar Shave Club blades or the Harry's or any other type of blade out of the mainstream?

These reviews give both Harry's and Dollar Shave decent reviews.

http://menshair.about.com/od/shavingadvice/Tyler Phommachanh/My-Picks-For-Top-5-Best-Razors.htm

And for the record, the video on the Dollar Shave Club website is clever and funny.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Watching the video I noticed Bob likes the 5 o'clock shadow look. Or maybe he's got better things to do with his life than worry about a clean shave all the time.

It triggered something in my memory to a FB post one of my buddies posted about a week ago. It was for Harry's razor blade and shave system.

Any guy who needs to shave regularly knows that Gillette and Schick are making mojo cash because they have the market cornered for good, reliable shave products.

But I'm getting ticked off at dropping $15-$20 a month on blades.

Does anyone use the Dollar Shave Club blades or the Harry's or any other type of blade out of the mainstream?

These reviews give both Harry's and Dollar Shave decent reviews.

http://menshair.about.com/od/shavingadvice/Tyler Phommachanh/My-Picks-For-Top-5-Best-Razors.htm

And for the record, the video on the Dollar Shave Club website is clever and funny.

I moved off Dollar Shave Club and went to this model instead..... http://lifehacker.com/5903771/forge...-high-quality-razors-for-a-third-of-the-price

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I went old school.

50 blades, $14.

And the blades last for about a month - haven't had to buy blades in two years and don't expect to for another two.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I went old school.

50 blades, $14.

And the blades last for about a month - haven't had to buy blades in two years and don't expect to for another two.
Badger and Blade, baby. Bought a Merkur about 5 years ago, used to get decent blades at Walmart for $1.79

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I went old school.

50 blades, $14.

I did the same this Christmas (Can I mention JC's birthday on the BY?)

Old school.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Wow. Me too. Edwin jagger de89. Still experimenting with blades, but the Astra SP for $12/100 on amazon are winning so far.

Proraso FTW.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
about to head down that road as well… had badger for years, now heading out for the single blade.

if I like that, I may try the OTHER blade and strop.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
about to head down that road as well… had badger for years, now heading out for the single blade.

if I like that, I may try the OTHER blade and strop.
I'm fascinated by the straight razors, but doing it this way takes long enough as it is.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can tell that there are some sophisticated, handsome gentlemen in this thread.

There's definitely a learning curve with a safety razor, but once you get it sorted, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else. Really doesn't take much more time, if any.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can tell that there are some sophisticated, handsome gentlemen in this thread.

There's definitely a learning curve with a safety razor, but once you get it sorted, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else. Really doesn't take much more time, if any.

Probability or percent chance that the "learning curve" involves and ER trip or donation from the blood bank?

I'm getting to the point where the old credit card against the skin decibel check doesn't mean as much. I just want a good clean shave that doesn't make me want to push old ladies in the groceries stores when I see the price of a four pack of blades.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

For me it's the working up a lather with a brush. I may abandon it for a decent canned foam, just to save time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) You can cut yourself obviously, but it's called a safety razor for a reason. You're not going to remove your chin by accident. The razor is pretty heavy and you learn fast that it does all the work - put it at the right angle and the weight of the razor does the shaving. No pressing or contorting like you would if you were using the Gillette Ocho-Blade.

2) You can definitely just use foam and not the brush if you wanted to. If I'm running late, as I was this morning, I'll do just that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I have a very tight time window in the morning, and the switch is essentially equal to my seemingly faster shave-in-shower with a Shick Hydro. It's also much much better shave, and that's comparing it to the Hydro5, which gave me my previous best shave.

Badger Brush with a mug and Proraso Green cream in a tube.

I'll save easily $100 / year on this, assuming I stay with the Astra SP's that work great now. That's changing blades every 3 days BTW.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Solution: Grow a well kept tightly trimmed beard. Looks better on me anyways.. or at least that's what my mom says... she wouldn't lie... right??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, after much consternation, internal debate and procrastination, I decided to try the Harry's razor products.

I've got a couple of friends who are using it and are very happy with the quality.

Being that I keep a clean dome, the safety razor seemed a bit more than I wanted for the learning curve.

I went with the Winston Set.

Looking at the long term costs, I would venture that they break even on the blades and make profit off the $8 3.4oz tubes of shave cream.

Refills are about 1/2 the cost of Gillette or Schick. $15 for an 8-pack and it comes with free shipping.

Below is the review from about.com

http://menshair.about.com/od/shavingproductreviews/fr/A-Review-Of-Harrys-Shaving-Products.htm

The blades are where the Harry's razor really shines -- they do a great job and, if you order the 16 count pack, they're around $1.56 per cartridge which is much cheaper than the similar Gillette Fusion ProGlide blades. The blade cartridge looks familiar -- like the competition, the large head has five blades fairly close together. There is a lubrication strip on the top (which is a pointless addition to any razor, in my opinion) and little fins at the bottom to help lift the hairs. I found the blades to be very sharp and performed as well as the either the Gillette Fusion ProGlide or the Schick Hydro 5. The shave I got from the Harry's razor was close and I experience very little irritation when I use the razor with my trusty Dreadnought Shaving Cream (the Harry's Shaving Cream wasn't my favorite -- more on that later).

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
For foam I swear by the bodyshop cream and a high quality brush. I've been with this for over 20 years. The initial expense is about $10-12 for the cream and the brush can run you quite a bit, but one tub of cream lasts me a full year. I've had the same quality brush for about 10 years that i think it cost around $35 or $40, so I figure my foam needs cost me under $1.50 a month. I've got a heavy beard and the shave is one hundred times better than with the canned. Joe Willie can keep his Noxema.

Reaction Score
For foam I swear by the bodyshop cream and a high quality brush. I've been with this for over 20 years. The initial expense is about $10-12 for the cream and the brush can run you quite a bit, but one tub of cream lasts me a full year. I've had the same quality brush for about 10 years that i think it cost around $35 or $40, so I figure my foam needs cost me under $1.50 a month. I've got a heavy beard and the shave is one hundred times better than with the canned. Joe Willie can keep his Noxema.

Reaction Score
I use Harry's. Blades are less than $2 each. How much less depends on the quantity ordered. Fast shipping. Very good quality.

I use their shave cream, too. Although I will sometimes splurge on Maca Root Shave Cream from The Body Shop.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Been liking my new safety razor. Good shave, and I take a little better care of the face too.

I kept the Gillette for when I am in a rush...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I did the same this Christmas (Can I mention JC's birthday on the BY?)

Old school.

No worries. You didn't. :)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just to be straight, JC is Jim Calhoun around here.
As I said, you didn't. Calhoun's Birthday is May 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom