Seth Greenberg on UConn & the Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenberg on UConn & the Big East

Reaction Score
We were the dogs, literally, of the BE - a very strong BE in the 80's - until what changed?? A great coach and a culture of winning. The dream season had a decent group of players - a few of which were CT POYs. And these less than 4-5 star kids went out and ruled the conference because of teamwork, defensive pressure, effort and transition. I'll secede to the fact that the conference might make the difference on jump ball decisions for recruits - but I'm not subscribing to this hype. It's a cop out. We need leadership and culture, period.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A) There is no way the BE would accept us if we did not downgrade football. Their view (which would be accurate) would be that we would merely be using them until a P-5 offer arrived. They feel that they've been burnt enough by football, they won't open themselves up for the possibility again.

B) Nova at the moment (and until they lose Jay Wright) is a better version of Gonzaga and the BE is a larger version of the West Coast Conference. If you believe that there will be any legitimate sustainability as a major conference once Wright retires (or leaves to an NBA gig) you haven't been paying attention to what the P-5 has been doing the past dozen or so years. Returning to the BE may provide a short term boost to our attendance and may make regional recruiting a bit easier at first but over time all it will do is condemn us to permanent mid-major status.

Reaction Score
You brought a football to a basketball fight.

Lol. Does seem that way, huh? Point is, UConn, rather than complain about AAC in either sport, needs to be dominent. Particularly in basketball.

Reaction Score
True, but ESPN on-air personalities rarely push something this obscure so hard in broadcast. But your point is solid. I didn't say it was a fact, just offered it as a possible motive.
Alternatively, what are they going to say, “Uconn sucks and has gone down hill because Kevin Ollie sunk the ship?” No, they’re never gonna say that publicly. So they need to say something to answer the question many casual viewers are asking as to why the program has declined into oblivion. So the easy explanation is to blame it entirely on conference affiliation, and nostalgia for the old big east days. Also, these are sports talking Heads and I don’t believe any grand conspiracy is beyond their on air comments.

Reaction Score
So they had one good year and that means we should realign our entire athletic department..BRILLIANT!!!

Of course, with all the tv revenue they bring in and all the basketball titles they have won.....

they have a good year every year lol look it up

Reaction Score
A) There is no way the BE would accept us if we did not downgrade football. Their view (which would be accurate) would be that we would merely be using them until a P-5 offer arrived. They feel that they've been burnt enough by football, they won't open themselves up for the possibility again.

B) Nova at the moment (and until they lose Jay Wright) is a better version of Gonzaga and the BE is a larger version of the West Coast Conference. If you believe that there will be any legitimate sustainability as a major conference once Wright retires (or leaves to an NBA gig) you haven't been paying attention to what the P-5 has been doing the past dozen or so years. Returning to the BE may provide a short term boost to our attendance and may make regional recruiting a bit easier at first but over time all it will do is condemn us to permanent mid-major status.

The WCC? you know the big east only has ten teams right? and everyone of them except depaul (lol) is recruiting better than us as of late...

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more with Greenberg. We can't wait forever for the ACC or Big Ten to come calling. If we can get into the Big East for hoops, grab it and run. Accepting the status quo and accepting the AAC as a good conference is accepting mediocrity and that's basically where we are at right now.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The WCC? you know the big east only has ten teams right? and everyone of them except depaul (lol) is recruiting better than us as of late...
Who beyond Nova has a shot at any sustainable success at a level beyond something we wouldn't be disappointed with?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
It's a vicious cycle. Nobody is proud of the American. No states we care about. Poor talent. Yet me may finish 7th this year. Plus look at UCF football. If Ed2.0 goes undefeated next year, we won't even crack the top 10. Good times.

Reaction Score
I, for one, think we should hang in there with the AAC. Yes, it is dreadful conference and ultimately will kill us. But, we are not there yet. I think we can wait a couple years to make such a dramatic decision. In the meantime, any shake up in the P-5 world could benefit us. Further, remember there are obviously other reasons that cause schools to be invited to the dance. Witness Rutgers. Its athletic department was and remains in shambles, but the B1G found it attractive enough for other reasons.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Butler.... hell even providence has made the tournament what will be their 5th year in a row now. I think this fan base would take 5 straight tourney appearances and be happy
Providence? How many tourney games have they won in that span? Would you trade what we accomplished over that stretch (which has our fan base in an uproar) for their five straight appearances (which their fans view as high times)?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Providence? How many tourney games have they won in that span? Would you trade what we accomplished over that stretch (which has our fan base in an uproar) for their five straight appearances (which their fans view as high times)?

I’m just saying if we had that nobody would be complaining

Reaction Score
Alternatively, what are they going to say, “Uconn sucks and has gone down hill because Kevin Ollie sunk the ship?” No, they’re never gonna say that publicly. So they need to say something to answer the question many casual viewers are asking as to why the program has declined into oblivion. So the easy explanation is to blame it entirely on conference affiliation, and nostalgia for the old big east days. Also, these are sports talking Heads and I don’t believe any grand conspiracy is beyond their on air comments.

LOL

Reaction Score
Disagree with Greenberg. I understand some of the sentiment but turning back now would be disasterous! UMASS would change places in a heartbeat with us. Their football team is nomadic, scrambling to fill their schedule. Certainly no way to build anything. UMASS plays in the A-10, a decent Mid-Major bball conference. Proponents of the back to the Big East camp fail to realize that this would be moving backwards for UCONN and is essentially giving up on becoming a Major athletic program in the big sports, Football and Basketball.

How would this be a step back from a basketball standpoint? The big east is a better basketball conference, and gets significantly more respect nationally. interms of basketball Big East>>AAC>A-10

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yes, playing Marquette, G'Town, and Butler would have changed our trajectory.....F outta here.

We lost the game of conference alignment, but overall the AAC (as bad as it is) is better than the new, new, not so new Big East.
Uh...yeah. Look at Providence and Seton Hall. They are RELEVANT again, and we are not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom