Seth Greenberg on UConn & the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenberg on UConn & the Big East

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Or he has no idea that Disney just bought Fox regional networks, but he can see that our once-dominant basketball program has turned into a pile of garbage in a conference no one ever wanted to see created.

You know, one or the other.
I'll take either. I'm scared the Big East may begin to think they would be better off without us.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Or he has no idea that Disney just bought Fox regional networks, but he can see that our once-dominant basketball program has turned into a pile of garbage in a conference no one ever wanted to see created.

You know, one or the other.
Vitale brought it up too. ESPN was behind their comments.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Jesus.

Why would they care?

UConn to the Big East is a pure negative to ESPN to the extent that we still matter.
How do you know that they aren't angling to purchase the Big East if we are in it?
Dude, it was odd. Greenberg mentioned it two separate times, and Vital probably spent 10 minutes talking about it.

Reaction Score
How do you know that they aren't angling to purchase the Big East if we are in it?
Dude, it was odd. Greenberg mentioned it two separate times, and Vital probably spent 10 minutes talking about it.
Like that will change the direction of our program. We still have issues with the coach that hast to be rectified first before we move ahead no matter the conference. I mean we can't even finish in the top 3 of the AAC except for 1 year.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Like that will change the direction of our program. We still have issues with the coach that hast to be rectified first before we move ahead no matter the conference. I mean we can't even finish in the top 3 of the AAC except for 1 year.
Dude, Ollie is gone after this year. The idea we can't get a good coach, especially in the Big East is hilarious. I mean Larry Brown went to SMU.

Reaction Score
Dude, Ollie is gone after this year. The idea we can't get a good coach, especially in the Big East is hilarious. I mean Larry Brown went to SMU.
Hey you are barking up the wrong tree. It is stairmasters who thinks we can't get a good coach due to the economic state of CT and Ollie's big contract. I think DB will make the move at the end of the year and we will be fine. I mean maybe not the UCONN of old but at least close to a Gonzaga level of challenging top teams year in and year out.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just don't forget that the old Big East screwed schools like UConn and others by keeping Penn St out and giving away Va Tech, Miami, and BC for nothing. All blame goes to the idiots that ran the Big East then IMHO.

I will throw this out for you all basketball only fans. If the NBA goes to a minor league system and starts taking high school players then what?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Just don't forget that the old Big East screwed schools like UConn and others by keeping Penn St out and giving away Va Tech, Miami, and BC for nothing. All blame goes to the idiots that ran the Big East then IMHO.

I will throw this out for you all basketball only fans. If the NBA goes to a minor league system and starts taking high school players then what?
All of the college sports will be screwed anyway at that point. Football is already in huge trouble across the country as it is.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
All of the college sports will be screwed anyway at that point. Football is already in huge trouble across the country as it is.

Still king though and will be for the time being.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Ironic he brings up "not playing anyone in the northeast" on the day we're playing the university of southern canada!

They have one regional rival, like us.
They play mainly southern teams, like us.
Their football and basketball haven't exactly stayed up to their BE par (barring one freak F4 run), like us.

You could argue they're essentially us, with a bigger bankroll and staring at a HOF coach retiring, again, like us.

Hmmmmmm.

Reaction Score

Disagree with Greenberg. I understand some of the sentiment but turning back now would be disasterous! UMASS would change places in a heartbeat with us. Their football team is nomadic, scrambling to fill their schedule. Certainly no way to build anything. UMASS plays in the A-10, a decent Mid-Major bball conference. Proponents of the back to the Big East camp fail to realize that this would be moving backwards for UCONN and is essentially giving up on becoming a Major athletic program in the big sports, Football and Basketball.

Current AAC members Memphis and Temple were horrible in football. Temple was kicked out of the Big East because of their lousy program. Both teams have risen to become conference champions. Both schools also have pretty good basketball pedigrees.

Edsall was brought back to turn the football program around. Let's give him the time to do his thing. If KO can't bring UCONN back to respectability then a change must be made. Certainly there are quality coaches out there who would love to coach UCONN at 3,000,000 per regardless of conference!

Cincinnati, Temple, Wichita, Memphis, Houston, SMU, and UCONN are 7 solid AAC programs. Not saying the rivalries are anywhere as sexy as the old Big East days but they are far from the dumpster fire of a league that some describe it as. UCONN has yet to win the conference title in this dumpster! UCF, USF and ECU are getting better as well.
The next TV contract negotiations will be critical to the AAC's future.

The girls always win regardless of conference. This week they had a record crowd of 15,000+, proving it can be done.Recruiting and having a strong OOC schedule is key.

As bad as things are right now, I don't believe going back to the Big East and either going Independent or dropping down to the FCS level in football is the right thing to do.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Greenberg angling for a job here?

Reaction Score
Seriously? The Big East got seven teams in the tournament last year, have a better RPI than half the P5 leagues, and are respected by the NCAA committee. The American will NEVER be able to say any of those things.

So they had one good year and that means we should realign our entire athletic department.......BRILLIANT!!!

Of course, with all the tv revenue they bring in and all the basketball titles they have won.....

Reaction Score
I've been in the "stick it out in the AAC camp until the next tv contract" camp.

But I'm beginning to think that maybe we are too deep in the weeds here and can't see the forest for the trees.

It seems that a lot of people think it's obvious that we should be in the NBE.

And not just "people" but people who, like em or hate em, have a decent understanding of the CBB landscape.

This was not espn telling them to do it.

There is zero incentive for espn to push UConn to the NBE.

These were people that were stating the obvious, as they see it.

Reaction Score
I have no intel but I would think they do move to the new Big East. I'm starting to realize we will never be in a power 5 conference.

Reaction Score
I've been in the "stick it out in the AAC camp until the next tv contract" camp.

But I'm beginning to think that maybe we are too deep in the weeds here and can't see the forest for the trees.

It seems that a lot of people think it's obvious that we should be in the NBE.

And not just "people" but people who, like em or hate em, have a decent understanding of the CBB landscape.

This was not espn telling them to do it.

There is zero incentive for espn to push UConn to the NBE.

These were people that were stating the obvious, as they see it.

Uconn in the NBE allows ESPN to continue to low-ball the AAC on tv money. We are in a low right now, but our name still has some value. Remove Uconn, and the AAC even less leverage than they do now (if that is possible). No matter how poorly they treat the conference, ESPN still needs content. Right now, they need cheap content more than they ever have. Don't discount that as a motive.

Reaction Score
Uconn in the NBE allows ESPN to continue to low-ball the AAC on tv money. We are in a low right now, but our name still has some value. Remove Uconn, and the AAC even less leverage than they do now (if that is possible). No matter how poorly they treat the conference, ESPN still needs content. Right now, they need cheap content more than they ever have. Don't discount that as a motive.

I hear what you're saying, but it's pure conjecture.

Based on what we know, I could make the same argument that ESPN plans to bid for NBE rights next time around and they realize it would be a better product, and property, if UConn was part of it.

However, I think that is highly unlikely as well.

If we apply Occam's razor, I think it's most likely these were just guys calling it like they see it, rather than a grand corporate strategy.

Reaction Score

Interesting theory and although down, the UCONN national brand adds value for sure. Greenberg and Vital are old school basketball purest who respect UCONN, remember well the Calhoun era and hate to see the program struggling. I think they really meant it but maybe more on an emotional level. St. John's is still in the Big East. Have they ever been the same since Lou Carnesecca left?

Reaction Score
We have had our chances already on the national stage this season. Changing conferences will be no panacea for us. The cold, hard reality is that we haven't been prepared to play the likes Syracuse, MSU or really anyone else this year. I think our players can compete, but the team leadership is deficient. K.O. and his BFFs on the bench are not up to it and it shows when we play against well-coached, equivalent talent. 2014 seems like eons ago. That NC was really JC's fourth title. Those kids were tough, disciplined grinders in the Calhoun style. We haven't seen their like since.

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, but it's pure conjecture.

Based on what we know, I could make the same argument that ESPN plans to bid for NBE rights next time around and they realize it would be a better product, and property, if UConn was part of it.

However, I think that is highly unlikely as well.

If we apply Occam's razor, I think it's most likely these were just guys calling it like they see it, rather than a grand corporate strategy.

True, but ESPN on-air personalities rarely push something this obscure so hard in broadcast. But your point is solid. I didn't say it was a fact, just offered it as a possible motive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting theory and although down, the UCONN national brand adds value for sure. Greenberg and Vital are old school basketball purest who respect UCONN, remember well the Calhoun era and hate to see the program struggling. I think they really meant it but maybe more on an emotional level. St. John's is still in the Big East. Have they ever been the same since Lou Carnesecca left?

SJU went down because they're no longer allowed to pay their players

Reaction Score
I’ve been on the P5 or bust train for the past 6 years but I’ve reached my limit. Life is simply too short and the UConn brand is being decimated in Conference USA 2.0. I would cry tears of joy if we went back to the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom