Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Selection Show thread (7 ET, ESPN)

Reaction Score
I keep hearing about Maryland having a weak OOC schedule. Was it weaker than UConns conference schedule? I am not asking rhetorically, I am sitting squarely on the fence about this.

Doesn't matter. You can't change your conference schedule. Maryland chose their out-of-conference schedule and now they're reaping the rewards.

And besides, don't forget that the Big 10 was ranked behind the ACC in RPI this year. Maryland's relatively weak in-conference schedule and a woefully weak out-of-conference schedule are easily trumped by Connecticut's somewhat stronger in-conference schedule and murderous out-of-conference schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. You can't change your conference schedule. Maryland chose their out-of-conference schedule and now they're reaping the rewards.

Well we chose ours. Our reward was toughest 8, toughest 4, and a 3 seed whose a top 5 team.

Reaction Score
UConn also led by double digits most of the game. MD got it to 5 in the 4th quarter, but no closer.
completely agree, UCONN was up nearly 20 points in the 3rd/4th qtrs and went into cruise control toward end of the game... they WON'T ease up in a Tournament game!!!

Reaction Score
Creme just highlighted some notable discrepancies. Too bad he couldn't question the committee chair.
Does not seem like one of their better jobs.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow.... Michigan didnt get in either

Northern Iowa got in.... wow

I think what took down Michigan was twofold:
1. A hard fade down the stretch. Lost 4 of their last 5, with losses to Indiana, Michigan State twice, and Penn State.
2. In the end, zero top-50 wins, and only one win over the at-large field (Purdue).

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
One thing puzzles me. We will probably play TEX A&M in 2nd game. SC may play Ariz. State in 2nd game. That hardly seems like an easier path for us. Of course I think we'll be fine but A&M to me is more competent and physically imposing than AZ State. AZ started the season well and ended it like a train wreck. SC beats them by 30+.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Creme just highlighted some notable discrepancies. Too bad he couldn't question the committee chair.
Where did you see Creme?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Syracuse got a raw deal

syracuse.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme pretty pissed at many inequities in the seedings and placements.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Very disappointed that NCState got a 6-seed after being a 4-seed in the second of the top 16 reveals before we lost to Wake Forest. BUT...we do get what should be a beatable Auburn team, and if we can get by Auburn, a potential matchup with a Texas team that stumbled down the stretch but features one of my favorite point guards. Will be a tall order to win in Austin, though.

Tell you what.... If yall can beat the Longhorns....... you need to go celebrate by eating a big ribeye steak :p

Reaction Score
One thing puzzles me. We will probably play TEX A&M in 2nd game. SC may play Ariz. State in 2nd game. That hardly seems like an easier path for us. Of course I think we'll be fine but A&M to me is more competent and physically imposing than AZ State. AZ started the season well and ended it like a train wreck. SC beats them by 30+.

Texas A and M is the 5 seed. We play the winner of Syracuse- Iowa State. Most had Syracuse as a 6 seed. They are our 8th seed and made the Championship game last year.

UCLA is our 4. Shouldn't we have gotten the weakest 4 (Miami?).

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
He seemed rattled. Stated that Purdue and Ohio State were in the same sub-regional, but that is not accurate.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Texas A and M is the 5 seed. We play the winner of Syracuse- Iowa State. Most had Syracuse as a 6 seed. They are our 8th seed and made the Championship game last year.

UCLA is our 4. Shouldn't we have gotten the weakest 4 (Miami?).

In theory yes, but then we wouldn't have gotten the weakest 2 (Duke).

Reaction Score
I am always amazed how fans of nearly every highly ranked team annually are convinced that their team got the worst draw! ;)

If Maryland is a top 4 team, I would rather play them in Bridgeport with the home crowd than in the final four!

Hope UCLA gets knocked off - quick guards and more scoring than I would want to face. Duke? No problem.

Reaction Score
I am always amazed how fans of nearly every highly ranked team annually are convinced that their team got the worst draw! ;)

If Maryland is a top 4 team, I would rather play them in Bridgeport with the home crowd than in the final four!

Hope UCLA gets knocked off - quick guards and more scoring than I would want to face. Duke? No problem.

Well you got you're wish.

We get to (possibly) play Maryland, Baylor, and than Notre Dame/South Carolina. 3 top 5 teams!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
It would be one thing if UConn had to keep playing these teams in the tourney. But that has NEVER happened, so why is it a problem?

The committee factors in geography. The better AAC teams are in the East. Thus no surprise that an AAC team ends up in the East.

There's about a 1% chance that UConn faces Temple. Again, what's the problem?
Okay. I guess you'll have to forgive me for hoping or thinking that one of those other AAC teams might actually make a run to the Elite 8 one of these years, in which case it could make a difference. But true, Temple's a #7 seed, and come to think of it, only 38% of the #7 seeds over the past two years have made it to the Elite 8. So yeah, clearly it's impossible. Don't know what I was thinking.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I thought it goes weakest 2, strongest 3, and weakest 4? Could be wrong.

Yes, that's the strict S-curve. But the committee must deviate from the strict S-curve to accommodate for conference conflicts, etc.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think South Carolina got screwed again. My understanding was that the higher your seed, the more likely you are placed in the regional closest to you. Last year, they bumped Notre Dame above South Carolina and that was the explanation as to why ND went to Lexington and USC went to Sioux Falls.

This year, USC is #3 and Baylor is #4. I thought it was a rule as the #3 seed, USC would be placed in the closest regional available; that should have been OKC. But, the committee either dumped that rule or found a way to justify #4 Baylor getting geographic preference above USC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Big 10 RPI is lower then the American RPI. So based on RPI UConn played the tougher conference schedule. :)

I keep hearing about Maryland having a weak OOC schedule. Was it weaker than UConns conference schedule? I am not asking rhetorically, I am sitting squarely on the fence about this.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just got home. Watched it on save.

Maryland clearly punished twice for their poor OOC schedule. Once by getting a 3 seed, second being placed in the Bridgeport bracket. They really should have been a 2 seed.

Baylor gets the bracket of death. Those teams are going to beat each other up.

UConn basically gets a breeze to the E8.

Marquette is such a nice story. Robert Morris back in the fold and as a prize gets ND first up. Stuff ain't fair. W. Illinois another great story along with Crieghton (Yea!).

That inner city team Texas Southern is going to be so psyched to play Baylor. Win or lose a game for Houston to remember. Most anticipated game in Texas. Okay, around Houston anyway.

UT a 5 seed, not a 7? Chattanooga Chattanooga go, go! Montana St. could give UDub some problems in the first half. DePaul had better watch themselves against NI. That could be a skin-of-your-teeth game.

Sanders said Bilas was dressed "Like a Catholic guy". Send your letters to Andy Sanders via ESPN folks. Leave me out of it.

Green Bay loses to Purdue in the 1st. No one in their right mind can root against W.Kentucky. That crowd will be rockin', rockin' in Lexington. NC State and Auburn will be a fun at large game on Friday. Can't wait.

Looks like Drake's win streak ends against KST on Saturday. The best story in the tourney though. I'm rootin' for 'em.

Okay folks, let's light this candle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom