Second Free Throw - Do You Miss on Purpose | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Second Free Throw - Do You Miss on Purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, because even NBA guys never intentionally miss

Geez...make the second shot. Now you are in a Scott Burrell/Tate George scenario. How often does that happen? 1 in 1000? I will take those odds.

Reaction Score
You make them both for the simple reason that missing the last one COULD result in a foul and put the other team in position to win in regulation. Much rather force them to make a contested shot than hit free throws. You can say "with a smart team this isn't an issue...blah blah blah". At the end of the game I don't want to put the refs in a position to come into play. We played it out correctly. The last thing you do with a freshman on the line is put in his head thoughts of "intentional misses". You want that guy to be 100% focused on the ball falling through the net.

The Tate George point is moot, you could make the same argument the other way based on Jalen Adams' shot against Cincy (he essentially made that from 3/4 court). Both plays are highly improbable. Making the 2nd shot also lets you set your defense.

Reaction Score
why would we be any more likely to foul if the miss was intentional? you dont contest the rebound, you just let them grab it and throw up a prayer. it seems way more likely that we would commit a foul trying to contest a long pass after an inbounds. if you miss, you dont need anyone on their side of the court besides vital, and you can still set your defense with a few guys at halfcourt and a few guys around our 3pt line (or wherever KO thinks is best). The post above about not getting in Vitals head beforehand is very fair. But KO should be good enough, and have the team prepared well enough, that given the first goes in he can then tell Vital to miss and align the rest of the guys

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You miss, you don't allow them to set up and get the ball into a play makers hands. Its really a no brainier but KO lacks in that area.

Still a great win and most likely the pinnacle of the season.

Reaction Score
Clock starts on the rebound . . .

I've seen more than one person think that it started on the ball hitting the rim since yesterday. Sometimes I wonder how much people actually pay attention.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was just glad to see us foul up 3 with seconds left re gently.

Reaction Score
No way do you intentionally miss the second FT.

This is a young, inexperienced team, and the biggest fear in those two remaining seconds is that someone has a brain fart and commits a ridiculous foul while chasing a bouncing ball. It's much more likely that someone would commit a foul on a rebound or a loose ball, or even a desperation heave, than on a long, arcing inbounds pass. (Remember, when you're defending the inbounds pass you don't need possession, you just need to tip the ball away.)

Any shot they get, whether you miss the FT or not, is an extremely low-percentage one. I'd much rather take my chances with that than depend on the refs to swallow the whistle.

Nickiiiv

NICKIIIV
Reaction Score
Given the situation: Up 51 to 50 with 2.2 seconds left and SU having no time outs left.... COME ON REALLY?
Even if they hit a miracle lay up id much rather have overtime then a damn SU W. I can't even believe this is a thread.

Reaction Score
Why is it the same 2 people who ALWAYS have the worst takes on everything? Spread the wealth fellas

Reaction Score
Why is it the same 2 people who ALWAYS have the worst takes on everything? Spread the wealth fellas

To whom are you referring? Kevin Ollie, and who else?

Reaction Score
why would we be any more likely to foul if the miss was intentional? you dont contest the rebound, you just let them grab it and throw up a prayer. it seems way more likely that we would commit a foul trying to contest a long pass after an inbounds. if you miss, you dont need anyone on their side of the court besides vital, and you can still set your defense with a few guys at halfcourt and a few guys around our 3pt line (or wherever KO thinks is best). The post above about not getting in Vitals head beforehand is very fair. But KO should be good enough, and have the team prepared well enough, that given the first goes in he can then tell Vital to miss and align the rest of the guys

I think you're missing the point. I don't think you're necessarily more likely to foul in one situation than the other. If you DO happen to commit a boneheaded foul would you rather have a 1 point or 2 point lead? In one scenario you have about a 50% chance of losing, in the other the worst that can happen is they tie the game to go to OT (this is all assuming we aren't being REALLY dumb and fouling someone taking a three pointer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom