Scary dropoff in play after first five | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scary dropoff in play after first five

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Well maybe you could relay that to Collier as she was in the game longer than the starters with Butler, plenty of time to pass the ball to Butler

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Well maybe you could relay that to Collier as she was in the game longer than the starters with Butler, plenty of time to pass the ball to Butler
She made one pass to Butler, possibly cited above, that was a two-handed over-the-head fastball from about 12 feet away. I don't think Johnny Bench could have handled that one.

My wish for Nat is that she become more confident, more assertive, and hence more effective around the basket. Someone needs to remind her that she's 6-5.

Reaction Score
We definitely need Bent and Irwin to become real contributors.

They don't need to contribute more than not being so bad that Geno gets ticked off and pulls them and plays the starters more. Geno in conference wants to keep the starters in the 25 to 28 minute/game range. Next year Bent and Irwin will become garbage time reserves. 4 great recruits coming in as wings and guards 0ver Bent and 2 new eligible transfers F/C over Irwin. Neither Irwin or Bent were top 100 ranked recruits.

Reaction Score
Regarding Natalie:
Of course, we all fantasized that she would show up in November as Stef 2.0 or even Stef 1.5 would have been enough! But she's not. She seems to an absolutely wonderful and interesting person (if you have a chance, watch that "know your Husky" intro on her), loves horseback riding, travel, and basketball. But she is not the 2nd coming of Stef. And yet, rather than focus on what she's not, let's remember that the only reason she's a Husky is because she chose to transfer. Imagine what UConn would be now without her!

Geno used her to great advantage against Baylor. There are certain teams where she can be effective, and Geno will continue to use her in situations where she can succeed. He also puts her in sometimes where she's at a disadvantage, because she needs the work regardless and her play then won't affect the final score. Let's not judge her harshly under these circumstances. Essentially, she needs to play 18 quality minutes against South Carolina--that's her most important challenge until the tournament.

Natalie is a terrific person who's probably not going to get a lot better at this point. But she's smart, committed, interesting, and doing the best she can. We should all be very grateful she's a Husky!

It was also noted by the coaching staff that her insertion in the Texas game impacted the Longhorn's low-post offense, which was causing the Huskies fits up to that point. Her physical presence has had its uses.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What was scary at CFU was, obviously, not the margin of victory, but the fact that after the first five players, who are pretty damn good, we have Crystal and Natalie and then the two freshmen who don't play very much. And I don't know how that lineup will do when the crunch time comes and measurably improved teams like Baylor and maybe Maryland are on the schedule.
So yes, we are spoiled because we've seen what players like Butler and Dangerfield can do and we want to see them use that as their baseline performance level and achieve even more. And when they don't do that in a particular game, it reminds us that this is not a deep team, and that could be our Achilles heel in the tournament. And THAT is what's scary.
If and when crunch time comes and UCONN has the 5 Non-starters in the game several major things would have gone wrong already. That would be like having several Allstate Mayhem commercials stacked on top of each other. If and when something goes wrong (FYI it already has) Crystal & Natalie are capable replacements. Molly and Kayla are taking a little longer but I would not bet against them!

Reaction Score
I need some help with inside information about UConn practices. Never saw one. Only know what few items have been mentioned over the years. Having said that, what I heard was that Geno has a starting five in mind on the first day of the preseason. If that group works well together, then they stay together as a unit. That first unit practices together and spends the most time under the watchful eyes of the staff. That unit also plays against the male practice players (the most time for sure and maybe all the time--I don't know)
MY POINT - Natalie is not on the first team. She is not getting many (if any) reps with the first team. Ergo, she hasn't really acclimated her game to that speed or with those players. One more point--Nat seems to be the type player who needs lots of game time to get adjusted. Remember, she played 38 minutes a game at Georgetown. Also, I have to admit the Big East is a full step down from the top 30 to 40 teams.
I believe that Nat is finding her niche. She can be plugged in for 15 to 18 minutes and keep afloat. Like Chong (and the bench players) they all are tentative because they are attempting to follow the first rule---DO NO HARM! Nat is trying and accomplishing this IMO. She definitely rebounds, sets picks, plays decent defense, and gets her 4-5 points a game.
**NOTE - Geno just came out on another thread and said he wanted more offense. IMHO this is telling the bench that they can be more aggressive and shoot the darn ball.

Reaction Score
So perhaps I wasn't clear. Of course I can enjoy a 36 point victory. I love watching them play, regardless of the score. And I agree with the poster who said we're spoiled. But IMHO, we are spoiled not be winning all the time, but by the way UConn wins. I -- and I am sure there are others -- buy into Geno's concept of coaching them toward perfection. Not demanding perfection, but realizing that the members of any UConn team -- even this flawed one -- have it in them to be perfect for a few fleeting moments. I have seen (in person) it happen a few times, including one memorable 10-minute stretch in a game at Villanova one year when the UConn players could, almost literally, do nothing wrong. It was breathtaking.

What was scary at CFU was, obviously, not the margin of victory, but the fact that after the first five players, who are pretty damn good, we have Crystal and Natalie and then the two freshmen who don't play very much. And I don't know how that lineup will do when the crunch time comes and measurably improved teams like Baylor and maybe Maryland are on the schedule.

Crystal can and probably will be very good within a year. I love that play when she drives in, elevates and kisses the ball off the glass for a score. Many players could try for years and not master that shot, and she has it down pat. Her current level of play, though, includes what we all refer to as "dumb freshmen mistakes," and she makes her share of them. On this team, against a first-rate opponent (and I believe there will be at least four of them by the end of the season) UConn does not have the depth to afford that many.

Butler is a different story. I have defended her play in numerous BY posts before, especially against that poster who has essentially claimed she is talentless, which she is not. But it was my impression that against Central Florida she was way off her game. She lost a pass that was thrown hard but accurately. It just inexplicably bounced off her hands. At another point, she was delivered the ball, tried to turn to the basket, was blocked, turned the other way, was blocked, tried to go back to the first path and was called for three seconds. Her instinct was not to go up and shoot, and that's a problem, too. As other BYers have posted above, there's going to come a time against really big players, when UConn needs her to do more than be a tall tree. I;'m just hoping the coaching staff can get her to react more instinctively and not stop and think about every move first.

The good news is there is a whole AAC schedule fort the team to run through and do some serious learning and improving.

So yes, we are spoiled because we've seen what players like Butler and Dangerfield can do and we want to see them use that as their baseline performance level and achieve even more. And when they don't do that in a particular game, it reminds us that this is not a deep team, and that could be our Achilles heel in the tournament. And THAT is what's scary.

Okay I respect what you're saying - nice post. I just think you are looking at things in a paranoia "if all goes wrong way" - and then you refer to it as "scary." One day an asteroid will hit too. How long do we fret about it? Anyhow, years ago I was watching a game and the women were winning by a lot and one play the opposing team ran a successful fastbreak. The announcer calling the game with Meg (I forget his name) said "UCONN fans can't be too happy about that." I felt like he believed us fans were some type of "overlords" looking down upon the players as if we were their king. -- Hey the other team made a play. As Geno once said- "the other teams have scholarship players too." The point is- there has to be an expectation of the limitations of my team, and the other team won't do everything wrong either. And their players can get better and play with heart too. (I am not suggesting you aren't giving other teams credit.).

I just think you are being too hard on the team. There is a reason why Nat, Danger Bent, Lawlor, and Kyla are bench players. The more of the combo just mentioned you have in together, the more your efficiency will suffer. But that is why they are bench players and won't be all-americans this year. If there are more than 2 players on the floor together they aren't going to be an efficient unit. Or if you have those two and Chong as well, they aren't going to be that efficient unless Danger gets much better. Thus, they are going to make mistakes but these players won't all be in a big game. If they are = then other than a minute or two- we'll lose. But you've seen us win when our front line was in its deepest foul trouble and we still didn't play huge minutes to the bench. So- the chance though that we'll have most of the players on the bench in together in a big game is slim. Therefore their efficiency as a unit should be irrelevant.

That's why I had replied. I didn't feel the play was "scary" in any manner. Because when those subs are in, they are going to look to pass more rather than have to "make a play" and be a scorer. Though Danger's role may change. I just took the opposite view. I remember years ago Geno talking about what he looks for and he said if a play can be made vs any team. He was speaking about a play late in the game in which his team executed a backdoor cut for a layup. He said that play is the type that can always be successful. Similarly as stated I took the opposite view you had. I saw individual plays from Danger and Butler that I believe can work vs any team. OFC they have to work on other things. But for this is game 1 of the AAC, for example the passing each executed, that continues to tell me if they are put in a tough situation they are capable of finding the open player.

In addition, these games are coached differently. When he puts that 2nd team in, he is not only looking for example for ball movement, but he wants them to work on scoring. SO for example they try to get the ball inside to Nat. When we have 3 of our core 4 in the lineup, the ball isn't going to go to Nat much to score. So while it is "disappointing" in a way they aren't aren't as efficient as we'd like - it's hardly imo "scary." I just think Nat is the 7th best offensive "scorer" on the team. ANd at best the 8th best passer. We don't "need" imo to get too hung up on her offense. If she can play good defense - we have enough offense to win. I just don't believe thinking the team needs her scoring. If she could set picks and pass and hit an occasional jump shot or hit layups that is fine. And as far as Danger- it's the 1st game of the AAC. To worry about March for a freshman that looks like she may be a backup I think you're being way way way way too tough. The fact is we have ONE real tough top team before March. And you're saying it sis scary now that Danger isn't playing consistently? Well even when she does play better - it still "will be scary for her and every other player on the team" once we face tougher competition. No one is immune to having a bad game.

I just think you are overly concerned with efficient play too early from the bench. I don't think you ever can be satisfied with bench play unless they are all-americans because they won't be perfect. You can always isolate some missteps from college kids (i.e. not pros) escpecially non-all-american bench players which is why I said "you're tough."

Reaction Score
It would help if players such as KLS, instead of shooting a three in a blow out game, a shot she can get at ant time, and some others, would try to feed the ball inside to Butler MORE often. Getting the ball only two or three times is not going to help her offense much. I don't know what is happening at practice but, Butler acts as if she is thinking too much instead of just reacting. She has a small window in which to perform and she needs to take advantage of it.

So change the way Lou plays and how the team works the ball just so we can feed other players like Butler? Lou's primary strength is to take 3's. THAT is a strength of the team. She shoots 45.4% from three. the shots she talks are good shots with a great efficiency.

So instead of fLou taking efficient shots we want to feed the ball inside to a less talented player (probably our 7th most offensively talented player) so our all-american and maybe NPOY can take less shots? Not to mention that we want to push pace? Instead try to slwo the game down, taking the ball out of our AA's hands and work the ball into our 7th most talented player?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There will be up and down games for players throughout the year. Early in the year many here were concerned with Nurse's dreadful shooting to start the year, not the case anymore. Dangerfield will have ups and downs, but she'll get a lot of playing time and experience in the AAC.

More significantly, Geno does a really good job of masking weaknesses or altering game plans to minimize what appears to be a disadvantage on paper. Baylor should have destroyed UCONN in the paint with Brown, Mompremier and David. Instead, those 3 were ineffective despite being projected to have an advantage on paper.

If someone gets into foul trouble, Connecticut will be able to make do until their player comes back. UCONN has already faced and beat most of the top 10 (several road wins and wins by double digits) and no top ten team has a player who has shown the ability to put their team on their back and single handily elevate their team against a team like Connecticut.

Also worth noting, Connecticut essentially has 4 competitive games left in the season. No one is going to challenge you guys in the AAC, which means all that is left is South Carolina, an Elite 8 game at home, and the final four/championship. Irwin/Bent will not see playing time in those games unless it is a massive blowout, Butler will see limited minutes to spot players in foul trouble or who need a quick breather. Butler is never going to light the world on fire, but she isn't going to hurt UCONN with bad play either. That's actually a pretty solid sub to have to give players a quick break and provide some insurance for foul trouble. The starting 5 are also capable of playing a full 40 and can stay out of foul trouble. As long as you can have your core 6 healthy by mid March, I don't see much reason to be concerned about depth.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This thread has gone all over the place, but back to the original topic:

There was some jittery play against UCF. I hate to disrespect an opponent, but some teams, including our beloved Huskies, play down to their respective levels of competition. Let's face it: the AAC is, by and large, a weak league.

I don't mind sloppy play as long as the Huskies snap into it against top-flight opponents like FSU, Baylor, Ohio State, Texas, ND, DePaul, and Maryland. I'm comfortable with some ugly play against lesser conference foes. USF, a perennial pain in the ass, should be a big focal area looming. Right now, I'll worry about ECU. any other speculation is just noise and doesn't put this fan base in its best light.

Reaction Score

There was some jittery play against UCF. I hate to disrespect an opponent, but some teams, including our beloved Huskies, play down to their respective levels of competition. Let's face it: the AAC is, by and large, a weak league.

I don't mind sloppy play as long as the Huskies snap into it against top-flight opponents like FSU, Baylor, Ohio State, Texas, ND, DePaul, and Maryland. I'm comfortable with some ugly play against lesser conference foes. USF, a perennial pain in the ass, should be a big focal area looming. Right now, I'll worry about ECU. any other speculation is just noise and doesn't put this fan base in its best light.

I don't get your negativity. You are usually a very positive poster. Geno raved about the defense. Even vs bad teams and UCONN wins by a lot he is critical. And he isn't bashing any of the core 4. SO all in all that game vs UCF was pretty good. We see the bench needs the most work. And if he is saying he needs points, Chong fills that a bit too.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
So change the way Lou plays and how the team works the ball just so we can feed other players like Butler? Lou's primary strength is to take 3's. THAT is a strength of the team. She shoots 45.4% from three. the shots she talks are good shots with a great efficiency.

So instead of fLou taking efficient shots we want to feed the ball inside to a less talented player (probably our 7th most offensively talented player) so our all-american and maybe NPOY can take less shots? Not to mention that we want to push pace? Instead try to slwo the game down, taking the ball out of our AA's hands and work the ball into our 7th most talented player?
You know you do not read so well. I said in a blowout game. That would be the time to try it because that is the time the bench players are in. Isn't the purpose of playing the reserves in blowout games to give them the opportunities to improve their games? What is wrong with getting them involved? You seem to be obsessed with awards for KLS. Uconn goal is not to make NPOY's or AA's. Their goal is to win NC and that will be easier to do by preparing your bench during BLOWOUT games. They can try all they want in practice but it has to be done in games. Do you think Geno cares about AA's or NPOY more than he does having a complete team? Hey, this MY opinion and what I believe, You do not have to like it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't get your negativity. You are usually a very positive poster. Geno raved about the defense. Even vs bad teams and UCONN wins by a lot he is critical. And he isn't bashing any of the core 4. SO all in all that game vs UCF was pretty good. We see the bench needs the most work. And if he is saying he needs points, Chong fills that a bit too.
Saniya was praised as well, so all 5 starters played well in Geno's estimation.

I think we should give UCF a little credit, as well. The coach is in her first year there and has the Knights playing much better. Geno noticed, too. (article)

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said he noticed significant improvement in UCF's program this season. Of course, those differences are harder to discern in the face of playing an 11-time national champion program.

"Their defensive philosophy is one that's a little more aggressive than it was last year," Auriemma said. "They play a lot of players, so they keep everybody moving and they're hard to guard one-on-one. They're very good at getting the ball into the lane. . . . I can see why their record is what it is that it's not easy to deal with the way they play.

"And that's significantly different than last year. I think they're gonna have a lot of success. It's hard to do that stuff against us, I understand, but against most teams they're gonna have great success because they're gonna be hard to handle. They do a lot of things that are difficult for teams to handle.
"

Reaction Score
IMHO, there are too many upsides to Chrystal's game to keep calling her out. She's a natural creator and passer. If we don't count Baylor, she hasn't had to be the go-to person on offense. But she couldda been, the one to break the defense down. I hope nobody has to destroy the village to save Dangerfield because I like her the way she is, and maybe why nobody has called to see if I want Geno's job.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

There was some jittery play against UCF. I hate to disrespect an opponent, but some teams, including our beloved Huskies, play down to their respective levels of competition. Let's face it: the AAC is, by and large, a weak league. I don't mind sloppy play as long as the Huskies snap into it against top-flight opponents like FSU, Baylor, Ohio State, Texas, ND, DePaul, and Maryland. I'm comfortable with some ugly play against lesser conference foes. USF, a perennial pain in the ass, should be a big focal area looming. Right now, I'll worry about ECU. any other speculation is just noise and doesn't put this fan base in its best light.
In you attempt to get back on track you may have lost some-well maybe only me.
"I'm comfortable with some ugly play against lesser conference foes." - Good thing Geno is not comfortable with this.
"I don't mind sloppy play as long as the Huskies snap into it against top-flight opponents like FSU, Baylor, Ohio State, Texas, ND, DePaul, and Maryland. " - UCONN has been there done that! Emphatically.
" USF, a perennial pain in the ass, should be a big focal area looming." - Since when is USF been a pain for UCONN's. MOV over USF has been increasing +16, +20, +26 in last three games.
"Right now, I'll worry about ECU" - Why? You must like to worry.

Reaction Score
So perhaps I wasn't clear.

Crystal can and probably will be very good within a year. I love that play when she drives in, elevates and kisses the ball off the glass for a score. Many players could try for years and not master that shot, and she has it down pat.

I too have noticed that high off the backboard shot. I don't recall anyone doing that shot as well as she does.

Reaction Score
One note from watching the game live. Dangerfield and Butler were not on their games today, to say the least. I almost wonder if they were ill. Although she made some good olpasses for assists, Butler often seemed a second behind everyone else. Dangerfield made some awful passes and lost the ball several times.

Against a good team, not so good a result.

Wow... I certainly hope that the players have a coaching directive to stay away from this blog... and they comply.

Reaction Score
I agree; it is scary. I pray that none of the starting five get injured or foul out early. Some of you with better memory than me, might remember a weaker bench, but I don't.
Not bragging about getting old but I remember when this bench could have beaten the starting five. ;) Games at what was called the Civic Center you got into the woman's game for free as long as you had a ticket for the following men's game! :D Give the kids a break and let Geno earn his ching! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom