Scary dropoff in play after first five | The Boneyard

Scary dropoff in play after first five

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One note from watching the game live. Dangerfield and Butler were not on their games today, to say the least. I almost wonder if they were ill. Although she made some good olpasses for assists, Butler often seemed a second behind everyone else. Dangerfield made some awful passes and lost the ball several times.

Against a good team, not so good a result.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One note from watching the game live. Dangerfield and Butler were not on their games today, to say the least. I almost wonder if they were ill. Although she made some good olpasses for assists, Butler often seemed a second behind everyone else. Dangerfield made some awful passes and lost the ball several times.

I thing Crystal Dangerfield was very inconsistent but as a freshman, this is what it is going to be. She also seems to play better against tougher competition so I am not to worried. Butler is Butler. I am a little more concerned with the quiet games of Bent and Kyla.
Bent had > 12 minutes but really did not have any impact. Kyla had little garbage time so cant say anything. Hope it improves.

Reaction Score
There is a reason why they are the "second five." They will get better. I think Natalie has to get mad to play well. Her game picked up after she was called for the offensive foul. Her facial expression showed she was ticked off after that call, (which I think the ref got right, by the way).

Reaction Score
these are the same comments we heard last year............as soon as Collier and Gabby and KLS got in the game everything went down hill..............not comparing the talent level this year..........it's just the natural drop off that you see in conference play..............wait till next year when MW, Lexi, MC and AEH etc come into the game together......................now if there is no drop off then you have a great problem to deal with!!! Dangerfield is going to make mistakes........99.999% of al freshman do...........yes shew made a few lousy cross court passes but she also made a few passes that very few players could even dream of making.............I'll live with that...........

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

I agree; it is scary. I pray that none of the starting five get injured or foul out early. Some of you with better memory than me, might remember a weaker bench, but I don't.

Reaction Score

Wow- you are tough.

Reaction Score
The entire team was a step slow and not their normal pin point focus---reason--just past a really big game and Mid Terms and home trips--usually every year a let down is noted at this time.
Danger had a pretty good game for a talented Frosh. Butler, as pointed out, was a bit more aggressive--something Geno has been after her for all year--get mad and push and bump--those offensive fouls--Chris and Geno will take every game.

Molly needs more time and needs to let the game flow and stop pushing. Kyla was a bit better today.

The bench sitters will not be super stars this year---maybe never---but you have seen, in the MD game. Natalie filled a void--no she isn't nibble, quick, fast as Gabby or Napheesa--she is Natalie---her job isn't to advance the game--it's to hold the fort and keep it from being burned down by those wild indians. She did that, not as well as I would like, but she filled the void..

Reaction Score
And the truth is, I like both these players. I just think they were way off their games today.
I agree Tomcat. Understandably CD is still learning so some games she will play like the freshman she is ---albeit a very talented one. However Natalie's performance today is less understandable after two full years of competition and a red shirt year. UCF has only one player over 6'1" and she played only 4 minutes. Nat should have have dominated the paint at both ends and but she just didn't at either end. Can we survive without Nat stepping up? Of course but when USC comes to town or after the first few rounds of the dance if Lou or Pheesa or Gabby are injured or in early foul trouble we will need Nat to play at a much higher level which I believe she can do. Chris needs to give her some tough love.

Reaction Score
Regarding Crystal:
UConn plays perhaps the most complicated and demanding type of offense in all basketball: read and react motion. Just getting this down takes a great number of repetitions--something like a rookie NFL quarterback trying to read the defense. On top of that, the man-to-man defense requires a frightening amount of discipline and has its own complications. The starting 5 know both the offense and defense in their sleep by now, and yet still mess up occasionally. A rookie point guard has to be mentally exhausted just trying to avoid doing something really stupid, let alone excelling as do the starters on offense and defense.

Geno is both complimentary and critical of Crystal, but most of all he is patient. She's going to be great next year, and, try as he might, he can't significantly accelerate a process that simply requires repetitions. Look at all the baseball immortals (like Willie Mays and sure-fire HOFer Mike Trout) who have fantastic years in the minors and then are called up to the Show and stink it up, until it suddenly clicks, and then they become unstoppable beasts.

At some moment, Crystal will walk onto the court, and suddenly she'll realize "now I get it." And then she'll be All-American.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And the truth is, I like both these players. I just think they were way off their games today.

The truth is though that if you've seen us play so well vs so many tough teams, and you realize that these are kids and not pros, - yet you called this game "scary" and made a comment "Against a good team, not so good a result." I find it odd.

So why I said- you were so tough is that you used the word "scary" for players that aren't pros in which we blew them out early even though you've seen with your own eyes that they have played terrific vs top teams. They've shown you they have consistently stepped up to the occasion when needed. So when they literally "BLOW OUT" the opposing team in the 1st quarter -- and with all the games you've already seen from non-pros that they have shown a constant consistency of stepping up when needed - and we are undefeated --

our blow out today was "scary?"

You can't enjoy 36-38 point wins?

Reaction Score
I agree Tomcat. Understandably CD is still learning so some games she will play like the freshman she is ---albeit a very talented one. However Natalie's performance today is less understandable after two full years of competition and a red shirt year. UCF has only one player over 6'1" and she played only 4 minutes. Nat should have have dominated the paint at both ends and but she just didn't at either end. Can we survive without Nat stepping up? Of course but when USC comes to town or after the first few rounds of the dance if Lou or Pheesa or Gabby are injured or in early foul trouble we will need Nat to play at a much higher level which I believe she can do. Chris needs to give her some tough love.
Regarding Natalie:
Of course, we all fantasized that she would show up in November as Stef 2.0 or even Stef 1.5 would have been enough! But she's not. She seems to an absolutely wonderful and interesting person (if you have a chance, watch that "know your Husky" intro on her), loves horseback riding, travel, and basketball. But she is not the 2nd coming of Stef. And yet, rather than focus on what she's not, let's remember that the only reason she's a Husky is because she chose to transfer. Imagine what UConn would be now without her!

Geno used her to great advantage against Baylor. There are certain teams where she can be effective, and Geno will continue to use her in situations where she can succeed. He also puts her in sometimes where she's at a disadvantage, because she needs the work regardless and her play then won't affect the final score. Let's not judge her harshly under these circumstances. Essentially, she needs to play 18 quality minutes against South Carolina--that's her most important challenge until the tournament.

Natalie is a terrific person who's probably not going to get a lot better at this point. But she's smart, committed, interesting, and doing the best she can. We should all be very grateful she's a Husky!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Regarding Natalie:
Of course, we all fantasized that she would show up in November as Stef 2.0 or even Stef 1.5 would have been enough! But she's not. She seems to an absolutely wonderful and interesting person (if you have a chance, watch that "know your Husky" intro on her), loves horseback riding, travel, and basketball. But she is not the 2nd coming of Stef. And yet, rather than focus on what she's not, let's remember that the only reason she's a Husky is because she chose to transfer. Imagine what UConn would be now without her!

Geno used her to great advantage against Baylor. There are certain teams where she can be effective, and Geno will continue to use her in situations where she can succeed. He also puts her in sometimes where she's at a disadvantage, because she needs the work regardless and her play then won't affect the final score. Let's not judge her harshly under these circumstances. Essentially, she needs to play 18 quality minutes against South Carolina--that's her most important challenge until the tournament.

Natalie is a terrific person who's probably not going to get a lot better at this point. But she's smart, committed, interesting, and doing the best she can. We should all be very grateful she's a Husky!
I agree mostly Bags. But I see Natalie a little differently. Big Nat to me was a gift that dropped into our laps like mana. She plays as hard as anyone on the floor at any time. She always contributes something to the team whenever she's on the floor. Although she may not be living up to even her own expectations, whatever she does give is a plus. As you've said as well, she's a young lady with many facets, a sharp mind, and an engaging personality. Can she do more? Of course. Everyone on the team can contribute more. Let me just echo what you've said. Thanks for being a Husky Nat!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Regarding Natalie:

doesnt help when announcers compare her to Dolson after 1 pass from the high post... same for CD5 and Jefferson, too bad the comparisons are there.

Reaction Score
The truth is though that if you've seen us play so well vs so many tough teams, and you realize that these are kids and not pros, - yet you called this game "scary" and made a comment "Against a good team, not so good a result." I find it odd.

So why I said- you were so tough is that you used the word "scary" for players that aren't pros in which we blew them out early even though you've seen with your own eyes that they have played terrific vs top teams. They've shown you they have consistently stepped up to the occasion when needed. So when they literally "BLOW OUT" the opposing team in the 1st quarter -- and with all the games you've already seen from non-pros that they have shown a constant consistency of stepping up when needed - and we are undefeated --

our blow out today was "scary?"

You can't enjoy 36-38 point wins?
So perhaps I wasn't clear. Of course I can enjoy a 36 point victory. I love watching them play, regardless of the score. And I agree with the poster who said we're spoiled. But IMHO, we are spoiled not be winning all the time, but by the way UConn wins. I -- and I am sure there are others -- buy into Geno's concept of coaching them toward perfection. Not demanding perfection, but realizing that the members of any UConn team -- even this flawed one -- have it in them to be perfect for a few fleeting moments. I have seen (in person) it happen a few times, including one memorable 10-minute stretch in a game at Villanova one year when the UConn players could, almost literally, do nothing wrong. It was breathtaking.

What was scary at CFU was, obviously, not the margin of victory, but the fact that after the first five players, who are pretty damn good, we have Crystal and Natalie and then the two freshmen who don't play very much. And I don't know how that lineup will do when the crunch time comes and measurably improved teams like Baylor and maybe Maryland are on the schedule.

Crystal can and probably will be very good within a year. I love that play when she drives in, elevates and kisses the ball off the glass for a score. Many players could try for years and not master that shot, and she has it down pat. Her current level of play, though, includes what we all refer to as "dumb freshmen mistakes," and she makes her share of them. On this team, against a first-rate opponent (and I believe there will be at least four of them by the end of the season) UConn does not have the depth to afford that many.

Butler is a different story. I have defended her play in numerous BY posts before, especially against that poster who has essentially claimed she is talentless, which she is not. But it was my impression that against Central Florida she was way off her game. She lost a pass that was thrown hard but accurately. It just inexplicably bounced off her hands. At another point, she was delivered the ball, tried to turn to the basket, was blocked, turned the other way, was blocked, tried to go back to the first path and was called for three seconds. Her instinct was not to go up and shoot, and that's a problem, too. As other BYers have posted above, there's going to come a time against really big players, when UConn needs her to do more than be a tall tree. I;'m just hoping the coaching staff can get her to react more instinctively and not stop and think about every move first.

The good news is there is a whole AAC schedule fort the team to run through and do some serious learning and improving.

So yes, we are spoiled because we've seen what players like Butler and Dangerfield can do and we want to see them use that as their baseline performance level and achieve even more. And when they don't do that in a particular game, it reminds us that this is not a deep team, and that could be our Achilles heel in the tournament. And THAT is what's scary.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It would help if players such as KLS, instead of shooting a three in a blow out game, a shot she can get at ant time, and some others, would try to feed the ball inside to Butler MORE often. Getting the ball only two or three times is not going to help her offense much. I don't know what is happening at practice but, Butler acts as if she is thinking too much instead of just reacting. She has a small window in which to perform and she needs to take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom