Scab refs blow a big call tonite | The Boneyard

Scab refs blow a big call tonite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GB's DB caught that ball ... There was no simultaneous possession... Seattle's WR Golden Tate did NOT have simultaneous possession... CLEARLY... Scab refs were too scared to make the right call tonite... Time for official NFL refs to come back...

U

UConn9604

GB's DB caught that ball ... There was no simultaneous possession... Seattle's WR Golden Tate did NOT have simultaneous possession... CLEARLY... Scab refs were too scared to make the right call tonite... Time for official NFL refs to come back...

They blew the entire fourth quarter. Gruden and Tirico could have done a better job from the booth.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the refs suck. everyone knows it. but how do they not reverse it in the booth?

Reaction Score
The most disgraceful officiating I've seen in any sport in a long time. The only thing I can think of is the Lakers/Kings WCF, but that was, by all appearances, literally rigged.

These guys are just in about 50 feet over their heads.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that wasn't a TD. Yes, Tate got away with a push that they needed to call, but Tirico and Gruden never did give a good description of the rule. It didn't matter that the DB had more of the ball, or more of the possession -- if they both came down with it, it was a TD. I never saw a replay from which I could be sure, but I think it is possible that Tate had two hands on the ball, and possessed it, coming down. Again, it doesn't matter that it's against the DB's body if Tate gets his hands on it at the same time.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that wasn't a TD. Yes, Tate got away with a push that they needed to call, but Tirico and Gruden never did give a good description of the rule. It didn't matter that the DB had more of the ball, or more of the possession -- if they both came down with it, it was a TD. I never saw a replay from which I could be sure, but I think it is possible that Tate had two hands on the ball, and possessed it, coming down. Again, it doesn't matter that it's against the DB's body if Tate gets his hands on it at the same time.

Tate had one hand on it.

Reaction Score

From what I saw, without looking at the replay again, it looked like Jennings had the ball wrapped up with his butt on the ground while Tate only had one arm in there. The ref they had in the booth seemed to agree.

But even if you say that call was correct, the phantom roughing the passer and DPI calls were egregious and directly led to the drive staying alive.

Reaction Score
"Item 5: Simultaneous Catch

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

Reaction Score
Goodell and the NFL are really looking foolish. Between this and the bounty-gate mess, Goodell is rapidly losing all credibility in the public eye.
The real refs are getting richer by the week. They have to be just throwing parties while watching every game and slamming shots at every missed call. And somewhere, Ed Hochuli is destroying any and all keg toss challengers.

Reaction Score
Golden Tate just confirmed it in my mind... no catch - he did not sell it! Bad body language. Lying Gold Domer!

Reaction Score
661956126.jpg

Reaction Score
the refs suck. everyone knows it. but how do they not reverse it in the booth?
Dont they can, Dan. They can only rule that the pass was complete or not. Who has possesion is a judgement ruled on the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The best part was them standing next to each other giving different signals. It's pretty much day 1 stuff that you wouldn't give a signal there until you've verbally agreed on it.

They didn't overturn it to get out of town alive. That might have turned into an Italian soccer match.

Reaction Score
Goodell and the NFL are really looking foolish. Between this and the bounty-gate mess, Goodell is rapidly losing all credibility in the public eye.
The real refs are getting richer by the week. They have to be just throwing parties while watching every game and slamming shots at every missed call. And somewhere, Ed Hochuli is destroying any and all keg toss challengers.
That would be due to the fact most of the public doesn't realize Goodell is not the one locking the refs out. His bosses, the owners, are.

Reaction Score
The best part was them standing next to each other giving different signals. It's pretty much day 1 stuff that you wouldn't give a signal there until you've verbally agreed on it.

They didn't overturn it to get out of town alive. That might have turned into an Italian soccer match.

That was the best part.

Having seen it again (and again and again) it was a pick. I didn't see how late Tate's second hand came in last night.

Reaction Score
Dont they can, Dan. They can only rule that the pass was complete or not. Who has possesion is a judgement ruled on the field.

This is correct. The only thing they could review is whether the ball hit the ground (which it obviously did not).

I enjoyed the whole episode. Stayed up to see all the post game stuff as well. High comedy. And Pete Carroll.......still a clown.

Reaction Score
That would be due to the fact most of the public doesn't realize Goodell is not the one locking the refs out. His bosses, the owners, are.

Even if that's true (and I'm guessing Gooddell has a much bigger part in this than you give him credit for), the bottom line is that in a position like that, you take the fall for the mistakes that happen. Same thing goes for a CEO regardless of if what went wrong isn't their fault.

Reaction Score
Even if that's true (and I'm guessing Gooddell has a much bigger part in this than you give him credit for), the bottom line is that in a position like that, you take the fall for the mistakes that happen. Same thing goes for a CEO regardless of if what went wrong isn't their fault.

You can blame ESPN like everyone does for everything else for all I care, it doesn't make it accurate. The fact is (and I'm no fan of his) Goodell is not the reason 32 owners and dozens of referees can't agree on compensation.

Reaction Score
You can blame ESPN like everyone does for everything else for all I care, it doesn't make it accurate. The fact is (and I'm no fan of his) Goodell is not the reason 32 owners and dozens of referees can't agree on compensation.

You're arguing against a point I didn't make. If the board of a fortune 500 company steers the company in the wrong direction and its performance suffers, the CEO will take the fall for it. Just like a head coach with an underperforming team, it comes with the job. He has done an absolutely miserable job of presenting the case to the fans, treating all of us like we're four and can't tell there is BS spewing from every league spokesman about the quality of the officiating. Goodell needs to grow a pair and tell the owners what they don't want to hear... that this rounding error they're fighting over is not even close to worth the damage it's doing to the reputation of the league.

Reaction Score
by the rule book it was actually the correct call

Reaction Score
by the rule book it was actually the correct call

I completely disagree. The packers defender had the ball controlled in both before Tate even had a hand on it. In no way can I see how someone views it as a simultaneous catch. While Tate had a hand on it, he never even had it in both hands before coming to the ground. That's ignoring the egregious OPI that he committed, which gave him the chance to fool the refs. Regardless though, Seattle should not have even been in position to go for the win there. Phantom DPI and roughing the passer calls should have never been made and this game should have been a boring kneel-down finish. This is what is so awful, I know a lot of Seattle fans are going to go to the old "you can't blame this on one play", but you don't have to. Even if you disregard one or two of the bad calls down the stretch, GB still should have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom