SC Gamecocks 2023-2024 in season thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SC Gamecocks 2023-2024 in season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Were the students chanting at Joyce?
Yes in the 3rd quarter they chanted, “We Want Joyce!”, with Aliyah and Zia leading the chant. Those two were in the locker room at the half. Makes me think Dawn might have given them some marching orders. There was another Joyce chant in the 4th with the team leading it. I didn’t see it, but I was told they turned around and were chanting at Joyce. Unfortunately the crowd at large didn’t catch on what the chant was. The effort could have been much more impressive with that crowd in the CLA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes in the 3rd quarter they chanted, “We Want Joyce!”, with Aliyah and Zia leading the chant. Those two were in the locker room at the half. Makes me think Dawn might have given them some marching orders. There was another Joyce chant in the 4th with the team leading it. I didn’t see it, but I was told they turned around and were chanting at Joyce. Unfortunately the crowd at large didn’t catch on what the chant was. The effort could have been much more impressive with that crowd in the CLA.

That HAS to be a recruiting violation. But since she isn't considering Duke, I won't report it to the NCAA. :D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow what a start to the season for South Carolina. 100 points in an exhibition vs. Rutgers, 100 vs. Notre Dame, and 114 vs. Maryland. This looks like the best offense team Dawn has ever coached and we're only 2 games into the season. I know they started out #6, but I don't understand how any voter wouldn't bump them to #1 after the way they've started this year.

Both games the opposition has been able to hang with SC early on, but they got worn out and SC comes in waves with their depth and just completely overwhelmed both teams. Them bringing in elite athletes like Fulwiley/Watkins off the bench is a luxury no other team has.

They also have two very good passing PGs in their starting 5, and Raven Johnson in particular has been brilliant to start the season. She's not afraid to make tough passes to Cardoso and every time they've been money. Just a high IQ player and looks like an elite PG with her ability to control tempo and run the show. She also is MUCH more confident shooting the ball.

In particular Chloe Kitts looked great today. She is a work horse for Dawn and has all of the tools to be a really solid player. She's also very long and active defensively even if she isn't going to swat 5+ shots like Watkins/Cardoso. I'm surprised she's this good considering she got so little playing time last year--side note, what was the reason for reclassifying and enrolling early? I'm sure she improved a lot last year just from practicing but it seems like a wasted year.

I've said it on other threads too but Fulwiley is a really special player. Aside from her sheer speed and athletic ability, she has the potential to be a lockdown defender and is very good at picking the ball from opposing guards. Offensively she looks like a seasoned floor general out. Shehe doesn't force shots or plays that aren't there, she looks for her teammates and is a capable scorer and creator. Like Raven Johnson, she seems to just understand the flow of the game and the offense which is impressive for someone so young and with so much athletic ability. Honestly though the whole team was looking to make the extra pass and get the highest quality shot. I don't anticipate SC will maintain this level of play the full season, but so far they look like an all time great team at the level they're playing early on.

As for negatives, I'll say that the defense is not near the level it was a year ago, particularly from the perimeter. In a half court setting the perimeter defense wasn't good, players weren't active on closing out perimeter shooters and they gave up 10 threes. Defensive intensity needs improvement in the half court setting. No one (yet) looks like a Zia Cooke type defensive player where they're really up in your face and hawking the opposing guards. Cardoso also struggled with fouls and I thought she was exposed defensively when she was pulled out of the paint by the player she guarded, which was similar to the Final Four last year when SC had no answer for Iowa's isolated 2 man game with Clark/Czinano. Brenda implemented this on a few plays in the first half but she just doesn't have a center like a Brink/Edwards/Kitley who would be more effective since they're capable inside and out. Going up against UCONN or other teams that have bigs who can face up and score inside, she'll need to game plan for it. Reminds me of when Ionescu and Oregon used and abused Teaira McCowan in the regular season and Elite 8 a few years ago and Mississippi State never made an adjustment. Anyway, all of that is pretty minor when you're putting up 100+ every night. What a performance.

Reaction Score
Wow. South Carolina showed why they are so dangerous this year. Teams are going to pack it on South Carolina and South Carolina's perimeter players are going to pick those teams apart. Paopao was huge pick up. Fulwiley is a game changer. But the added bonus points of Hall, Tessa Johnson, and Raven Johnson are going to be huge this season. Then you have Chole Kitts. OMG!! This team is scary.

Reaction Score
If I was ranking everybody else as championship threats, I'd put UCLA #1 and LSU #2 right now. Regret not watching the third game yesterday to get a feel for Stanford.

I'm going to continue to drink the Haterade for Iowa and Indiana. Felt like even the loss to Iowa validated my bracket reveal take - if we play a bad game and Iowa gets the exact sort of officiating they need, it might happen. Maybe they'll get another lightning strike this year, but you can't do anything about an act of God.

UNC and Mississippi are teams that worry me more than their ranking. I'm curious to see how this squad does with their first true road game coming in Chapel Hill. I haven't made up my mind about Utah, but will get to see them up close a little after. Southern Cal and Texas are others I'm still up in the air about.

Tennessee is once again BACK! To fourth in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Joyce will announce Nov. 15th

Attachments

• IMG_6055.png
    IMG_6055.png
    578.3 KB · Views: 54
Reaction Score
Joyce will announce Nov. 15th
She was at SC game Sunday. She got a lot of love from the 16000 fans chanting her name.

I think she’s picking the Gamecocks. She played AAU ball with Fulwiley and Watkins, she and Chloe are buddies from USA ball. Dawn makes it really hard for SC girls to pick another school because she and her staff are such relationship people. If you look at Dawn’s presser from after the Md game you’ll see her hat says SC HC. That’s the Honor’s College at SC which has been ranked one of the top public HCs in the country. Dawn is recruiting even when she’s not recruiting. Joyce has a 5.0 GPA. Education is a priority to her and her parents. It’s also a priority with Dawn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She was at SC game Sunday. She got a lot of love from the 16000 fans chanting her name.

I think she’s picking the Gamecocks. She played AAU ball with Fulwiley and Watkins, she and Chloe are buddies from USA ball. Dawn makes it really hard for SC girls to pick another school because she and her staff are such relationship people. If you look at Dawn’s presser from after the Md game you’ll see her hat says SC HC. That’s the Honor’s College at SC which has been ranked one of the top public HCs in the country. Dawn is recruiting even when she’s not recruiting. Joyce has a 5.0 GPA. Education is a priority to her and her parents. It’s also a priority with Dawn.
L$U is in her top 3. She chose L$U over Stanford? Something fishy here

Reaction Score

I agree! I hope I’m not reading too much into anything but I felt like Joyce was contemplating where she would fit with this team and how much would she play. I think Sunday showed her where she would fit, that she will definitely get time if she works hard, and that this team is selfless and put the team before themselves as individuals. The FAMS, Education, and Top Notch coaching is too hard for her to turn down I think. Top it all off for her to visit three days ago and then set an announcement date for only a couple days after that has to bode well for us. Fingers Crossed!!!

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I don’t think she fits the culture of LSU. Of course she’s going to put LSU in there. She wants to create intrigue. She was at our game Sunday, sat 5 rows behind our bench, and was in our locker room after the game with Tiff, A’ja, Boston, Zia and all the other ex-players that come to their games. You KNOW that made an impression.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I don’t think she fits the culture of LSU. Of course she’s going to put LSU in there. She wants to create intrigue. She was at our game Sunday, sat 5 rows behind our bench, and was in our locker room after the game with Tiff, A’ja, Boston, Zia and all the other ex-players that come to their games. You KNOW that made an impression.
Am I crazy, or do we have a lot more alumni at games than peer programs? A'ja is playing three time zones away, and she's still at a half-dozen games a year.

Reaction Score
Am I crazy, or do we have a lot more alumni at games than peer programs? A'ja is playing three time zones away, and she's still at a half-dozen games a year.
I was under the impression she does not play overseas. She has endorsements in the US to offset WNBA salary

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
If Joyce Edwards was not picking South Carolina she would not have been at South Carolina Sunday and going into the locker room with the team. It's idiotic to think from that, that LSU is still in the picture. That would be a true insult to Dawn and the girls. She would have just stayed at home and let it play out if it wasn't a done deal.

Reaction Score
If Joyce Edwards was not picking South Carolina she would not have been at South Carolina Sunday and going into the locker room with the team. It's idiotic to think from that, that LSU is still in the picture. That would be a true insult to Dawn and the girls. She would have just stayed at home and let it play out if it wasn't a done deal.
You can never tell. She could want to experience the team atmosphere to see if it would change her mind.

Reaction Score
This

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
You can never tell. She could want to experience the team atmosphere to see if it would change her mind.
Do you know how many times she has been to the games at South Carolina ? I mean get real.

Reaction Score
Well here is what we know. 4 yrs ago when this board started tracking her-the biggest competition was going to be Stanford. She was/is a serious student looking for an environmental Engineering Degree. She release het top 3 and its L$U,Clemson and USC. No Duke,Cal or Stanford. (Academic Heavyweights). So the exogenous variable introduced is NIL ...IMO.

So would it not be a natural thought in reasoning three finalist have a 33.3% chance given the introducion of the NIL Variable?

Reaction Score
A little MBB news for SCar- looks like we are going to get Eli Ellis. Out of North Carolina. He is the male version of Milaysia Fulwiley.
Google his highlights
As a MBB season ticket holder, I really like what Paris is doing. Hopefully he commits to USC. Dawn dI d good things with a Fan Favorite to rebuild the women’s team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well here is what we know. 4 yrs ago when this board started tracking her-the biggest competition was going to be Stanford. She was/is a serious student looking for an environmental Engineering Degree. She release het top 3 and its L$U,Clemson and USC. No Duke,Cal or Stanford. (Academic Heavyweights). So the exogenous variable introduced is NIL ...IMO.

So would it not be a natural thought in reasoning three finalist have a 33.3% chance given the introducion of the NIL Variable?

Thanks! I didn't realize that she had dropped Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom