Say something nice about Bob Diaco | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Say something nice about Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This thread is not about Diaco. It's catharsis for the fans.
Yeah, but I wish someone would forward it to him. There is some good in here along with the "feedback."

Reaction Score
Here is a story about Bob. Not many folks know this.
A little back story first...bare with me.
My dad had season tickets from 2005-2014. 8 seats in all so that the whole family would go. Fun times. In Sept 2014, he had a heart attack and aneurysm and had a triple by pass performed. (all is well now)
A family friend put together a nice get well card using a pic very similar to my avatar only with the Heismann pose. Probably was it for all I know. She photo shopped my dad's face on it..etc etc. Was an awesome card and made him feel great. I took that card, made an 8x10 copy of the front and brought it with me to the Coach's show sometime early Oct of that year. When Diaco was done yapping with Joe D on air, I called him over, explained what happened with my dad, also explained that season was lost for him (my dad) and showed him the pic of the card. He took it, read it, paused for a good few minutes and began to write something on it.
Was a very nice note of best wishes and get well soon type of thing. let's just say..my dad was delighted at the time when I presented it to him in a frame.
Later in the season (late Nov I think) I took my mom and dad to the show. We sat off to the side, ate our meal, listened to the show, chit chatted etc etc.
Diaco came in, did his thing, schmoozed with the gallery and then looked over at our table making eye contacting with me. He motioned at my dad who had his back to him, I nodded and he came over. He spent a good 10 minutes chatting with my mom and dad.
I wanted Diaco to succeed so much here after that and had been sick to my stomach for the past two years at the misery of it all.
It doesn't take away the really nice thing he did on the two separate occasions. It shows he's human. He does genuinely care about people. Yeah...he's over the top with alot of things but as a human being, he could be alot worse.
I wish him luck and the best at whatever comes his way.
It took me a day or so to get back on the RE train, but I'm all in at the "stabilizing phase" we are at right now.
Sorry for the long note.I just felt this needed to be said.
Go Huskies!!

That's a nice story. No doubt Bob Diaco is a great motivator. While UConn baseball player Ryan Radue was beating cancer, Diaco wrote him inspirational letters every day.

"...Ryan would return to his apartment after a round of chemo and his mailbox would be stuffed. Football coach Bob Diaco, whom he had never met, was sending handwritten notes nearly every day. "Inspirational messages," Ryan said. "Maybe a quote he liked. Exams were starting and he'd write, 'Get ready for the grind.' It's no exaggeration; I have more than 50 of them."

Team Effort: UConn Community Unites To Help Pitcher Ryan Radue Beat Cancer

Reaction Score
That's a nice story. No doubt Bob Diaco is a great motivator. While UConn baseball player Ryan Radue was beating cancer, Diaco wrote him inspirational letters every day.

"...Ryan would return to his apartment after a round of chemo and his mailbox would be stuffed. Football coach Bob Diaco, whom he had never met, was sending handwritten notes nearly every day. "Inspirational messages," Ryan said. "Maybe a quote he liked. Exams were starting and he'd write, 'Get ready for the grind.' It's no exaggeration; I have more than 50 of them."

Team Effort: UConn Community Unites To Help Pitcher Ryan Radue Beat Cancer

None of that surprises me. I don't know the guy other than what I saw of him in public, but I always came away with the sense that he was sincere. To take the next step in his career he probably needs to work on communication and controlling his impulses and emotions. I know there have been areas I needed to work on during my professional career and also as a person. Trying to improve should never stop. Why folks seem to take such delight or simply pile on when someone is down.......that too is human nature I guess.

Anecdotally, I will share that watching the Husky Walk before the Virginia game (after the Navy debacle) Diaco to me eye looked taxed and stressed. Not what I would have expected right before a game and with fan interaction. My sense is that his leaving may very well be in his best interest and, frankly, I have no doubt it is in UCONN's best interest. High stakes game.......

Reaction Score
I have little doubt that Diaco was a decent guy who genuinely cares and is driven to succeed. He was simply unprepared for the job he was given.
Spot on post. So few words, but really captures the essence of the situation.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
So damn enthusiastic.

Reaction Score
Here is a story about Bob. Not many folks know this.
A little back story first...bare with me.
My dad had season tickets from 2005-2014. 8 seats in all so that the whole family would go. Fun times. In Sept 2014, he had a heart attack and aneurysm and had a triple by pass performed. (all is well now)
A family friend put together a nice get well card using a pic very similar to my avatar only with the Heismann pose. Probably was it for all I know. She photo shopped my dad's face on it..etc etc. Was an awesome card and made him feel great. I took that card, made an 8x10 copy of the front and brought it with me to the Coach's show sometime early Oct of that year. When Diaco was done yapping with Joe D on air, I called him over, explained what happened with my dad, also explained that season was lost for him (my dad) and showed him the pic of the card. He took it, read it, paused for a good few minutes and began to write something on it.
Was a very nice note of best wishes and get well soon type of thing. let's just say..my dad was delighted at the time when I presented it to him in a frame.
Later in the season (late Nov I think) I took my mom and dad to the show. We sat off to the side, ate our meal, listened to the show, chit chatted etc etc.
Diaco came in, did his thing, schmoozed with the gallery and then looked over at our table making eye contacting with me. He motioned at my dad who had his back to him, I nodded and he came over. He spent a good 10 minutes chatting with my mom and dad.
I wanted Diaco to succeed so much here after that and had been sick to my stomach for the past two years at the misery of it all.
It doesn't take away the really nice thing he did on the two separate occasions. It shows he's human. He does genuinely care about people. Yeah...he's over the top with alot of things but as a human being, he could be alot worse.
I wish him luck and the best at whatever comes his way.
It took me a day or so to get back on the RE train, but I'm all in at the "stabilizing phase" we are at right now.
Sorry for the long note.I just felt this needed to be said.
Go Huskies!!

It probably should have been locked after this post. Thanks for sharing that.

I think the most important thing to remember is Diaco loved his players, unlike his predecessors the evil twins, and there in no doubt the foundation is in much better shape today than when he got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom