Say something nice about Bob Diaco | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Say something nice about Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When he got here, he liked college football, he liked the band, and he liked the cheerleaders...now if only he liked winning!

Reaction Score
I truly believed he loved his players and the program. His undoing was his stubbornness to confuse mistakes he was making with his professed dismantling and/or clean up of the pasqualoni era. In year three, it was starting to get old hearing his excuse of how bad the program was before he got there particularly with teams with less experienced head coaches leaving us in the proverbial rear view mirror. Too often, I found myself describing him to my friends as 'Bobby Valentine minus the success'.

Reaction Score
Diaco will have to show A LOT, to get another Crack as a head coach. Especially if RE, gets this turned around here in 3 years or less.

Diaco was epically bad. From a game management perspective he was lights out worse than P. Dude was no where ready to be a head coach and the staff he put together did not seemake to do him any favors.

Reaction Score
Chief00 timeout from party - as a school we need to start signing more talented recruits to scholarships rather than wasting them on walk-0ns. Makes for a nice Jeff Jacobs column - but we need talent not nice.

A walk on is NOT a waste. A walk on comes here on his own dime. A scholarship is awarded after the kid has proved his worth while on campus. Walk on programs can build incredible fan passion, especially if they come from in state, which most do. The most famous walk on program I know (because I'm a fan of theirs) is Nebraska. Read up on it, theirs is amazing but other schools have very good programs as well, Wisconsin comes to mind.

Reaction Score
A walk on is NOT a waste. A walk on comes here on his own dime. A scholarship is awarded after the kid has proved his worth while on campus. Walk on programs can build incredible fan passion, especially if they come from in state, which most do. The most famous walk on program I know (because I'm a fan of theirs) is Nebraska. Read up on it, theirs is amazing but other schools have very good programs as well, Wisconsin comes to mind.
Trouble with that is some of their walk ons were probably better than some of Diaco's recruits.

Reaction Score
Trouble with that is some of their walk ons were probably better than some of Diaco's recruits.

No trouble at all. The deal is, and the point of the whole thing is, the walk on was better than THEIR recruit. Again, the walk on came on his own dime and out performed the players recruited there. He earned playing time while paying his way and earned a scholly on the field. So it doesn't matter if the walk on there is better than the recruit here, because he's better than the recruit there as well. What matters is you develope a walk on program here, this is a kid who knows himself and knows he can earn his way. If a walk on here out performs a recruit here, you reward him with a scholly because he earns it. I don't see what's hard to understand about that and I definitely don't see how anyone could look at that as a waste. Wisconsin had a former walk on make a key play today in the Cotton bowl. I couldn't catch his name because I at work.

Reaction Score
He tried? :confused: Can't fault him for not trying. There wasn't a huge line at the door asking to coach this team. He'll learn from it and do better next time around. Good luck BD. Your heart was in the right place. Now just work on the football stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who else knew Plato, Aristotle, Kant and Descartes as well as him?

We stink, therefore I am.
He proved St. Augustine wrong?

(Even with love and diligence a winning season was not possible.)

Reaction Score
No one came up with Diaco's singular most unique contribution.

He gifted us a solid Long Snapper from his hometown HS Cedar Ridge: Nick Z.

A Human.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He did invent the preferred walk on!

Reaction Score
Bobby, if you ever get another crack at a HC position, please study video of 2017 Rose Bowl. That's offense your seeing. That's a passing attack. Those guys on defense are just out there because the rules allow it. USC's defense was terrible but made the two stops it needed at the end, to let the offense put the game away. Bobby . . . learn about offensive football in today's college game.

Reaction Score
I don't think he was evil - he was just old fashioned, baying at the moon crazy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I can only say what has already been said, he had nice hair.

Diaco suffers from two fundamental problems, neither of which I think he is remotely close to recognizing as deficiencies at this point;

i) He thinks to win at football you just have to work harder than others (that winning is about "doing it right" like eating well, lifting weights and studying the playbook) and as a result he doesn't properly value game planning/strategy/game management. His approach is simplistic.

ii) He is only comfortable surrounding himself with yes men and those not in position to challenge his ideas. No one on his staff has ever had the winning pedigree to lead counter points or even give solid advice (Cummings with his success at CMU notwithstanding). This has been evidence many ways, but perhaps one overlooked way is the fact that he was not friendly to former players (most likely because he didn't want anyone visiting that could credibly offer a different point of view).

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
95% of these are tongue-in-cheek at best.

As a former Diaco Kool-aide drinker, I wanted to think nothing but the best for the man. It didn't work out and by some accounts, due to his own doing...and that is a tragedy.

Without further ado (and I know all of your breathing was bated. You don't have to say anything. I know.), here is mine:

Diaco introduced me to the "Indispensable Man" poem. Ironic that he could not heed his own words.

Reaction Score
More accurate headline - "Toddler goofs off and eventually sorta helps twin brother but not before actually making things kinda worse."
Yeah I'm sure the extra weight when he climbed on top of it felt good to the kid on the bottom.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Here is a story about Bob. Not many folks know this.
A little back story first...bare with me.
My dad had season tickets from 2005-2014. 8 seats in all so that the whole family would go. Fun times. In Sept 2014, he had a heart attack and aneurysm and had a triple by pass performed. (all is well now)
A family friend put together a nice get well card using a pic very similar to my avatar only with the Heismann pose. Probably was it for all I know. She photo shopped my dad's face on it..etc etc. Was an awesome card and made him feel great. I took that card, made an 8x10 copy of the front and brought it with me to the Coach's show sometime early Oct of that year. When Diaco was done yapping with Joe D on air, I called him over, explained what happened with my dad, also explained that season was lost for him (my dad) and showed him the pic of the card. He took it, read it, paused for a good few minutes and began to write something on it.
Was a very nice note of best wishes and get well soon type of thing. let's just say..my dad was delighted at the time when I presented it to him in a frame.
Later in the season (late Nov I think) I took my mom and dad to the show. We sat off to the side, ate our meal, listened to the show, chit chatted etc etc.
Diaco came in, did his thing, schmoozed with the gallery and then looked over at our table making eye contacting with me. He motioned at my dad who had his back to him, I nodded and he came over. He spent a good 10 minutes chatting with my mom and dad.
I wanted Diaco to succeed so much here after that and had been sick to my stomach for the past two years at the misery of it all.
It doesn't take away the really nice thing he did on the two separate occasions. It shows he's human. He does genuinely care about people. Yeah...he's over the top with alot of things but as a human being, he could be alot worse.
I wish him luck and the best at whatever comes his way.
It took me a day or so to get back on the RE train, but I'm all in at the "stabilizing phase" we are at right now.
Sorry for the long note......I just felt this needed to be said.
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I have little doubt that Diaco was a decent guy who genuinely cares and is driven to succeed. He was simply unprepared for the job he was given.

Reaction Score
This thread is driving me nuts.. Let the guy rest in his $3.4 Million already...

Let's MOVE FORWARD...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This thread is driving me nuts.. Let the guy rest in his $3.4 Million already...

Let's MOVE FORWARD...

This thread is not about Diaco. It's catharsis for the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom