Say it isn't so Jim! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Say it isn't so Jim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
People would stop speculating, for one thing. And focus on the NCAA tournament game UConn is playing tomorrow.
If history is any guide, people are going to speculate to death no matter what he says. If he says he'll never say never to anyone except BCU, then the story becomes the continuing grudge, the ACC blackball, etc. This is a media driven story that appears entirely fabricated. The fact that even junior reporters like Jacobs are trying to run with it should tell you every thing you need to know. That guy is singularly responsible for the cancellation of more Hartford Courant subscriptions--including mine--than any other factor, and he's been struggling to be relevant ever since the good ol' days when he was leading the charge against Calhoun and the program. Feel good stories aren't his thing; he far prefers unsubstantiated rumors. Too bad he doesn't even have enough integrity or credibility to speak with any legitimate source--because no one will talk to him.

Reaction Score
Sorry to break the bubble on your "Benedict Arnold" comment. Facts:
Benedict was born the second of six children to Benedict Arnold (1683–1761) and Hannah Waterman King, in Norwich, CT., on January 14, 1741. Like his father and grandfather, as well as an older brother who died in infancy, he was named after his great-grandfather Benedict Arnold, an early governor of the Colony of Rhode Island. Only Benedict and his sister Hannah survived to adulthood; his other siblings succumbed to yellow fever, in childhood. His siblings were, in order of birth: Benedict (August 15, 1738 – April 30, 1739), Hannah (December 9, 1742 – August 11, 1803), Mary (June 4, 1745 – September 10, 1753), Absolom (April 4, 1747 – July 22, 1750) and Elizabeth (November 19, 1749 – September 29, 1755). Through his maternal grandmother, Arnold was a descendant of John Lothropp, an ancestor of at least six U.S. Presidents.

Arnold's father was a successful businessman, and the family moved in the upper levels of Norwich society. When he was ten, Arnold was enrolled in a private school in nearby Canterbury, CT, with the expectation that he would eventually attend Yale. However, the deaths of his siblings two years later may have contributed to a decline in the family fortunes, since his father took up drinking. By the time he was fourteen, there was no money for private education. His father's alcoholism and ill health kept him from training Arnold in the family mercantile business, but his mother's family connections secured an apprenticeship for Arnold with two of her cousins, brothers Daniel and Joshua Lathrop, who operated a successful apothecary and general merchandise trade in Norwich. His apprenticeship with the Lathrops lasted seven years. In 1762, with the help of the Lathrops, Arnold established himself in business as a pharmacist and bookseller in New Haven. Arnold was hardworking and successful, and was able to rapidly expand his business. In 1763 he repaid money borrowed from the Lathrop's, repurchased the family homestead that his father had sold when deeply in debt, and re-sold it a year later for a substantial profit. In 1764 he formed a partnership with Adam Babcock, another young New Haven merchant. Using the profits from the sale of his homestead, they bought three trading ships and established a lucrative West Indies. trade. During this time, he brought his sister Hannah to New Haven and established her in his apothecary to manage the business in his absence. He traveled extensively in the course of his business, throughout New England and to the West Indies, often in command of one of his own ships.

Arnold is linked much more to the "ROSE CITY", Norwich, than to the "ELM CITY", of New Haven. So much so, that for a number of years a Norwich Resident tried, unsuccessfully to have Arnold's name "cleaned" because of his earlier exploits during the Revolutionary War, that you have mentioned.
I'm quite familiar with Arnold's biography,but since he is often linked to New Haven, it was just a quick reference. Perhaps I should have used Ct's to not upset anyone. No offense meant to Norwich. My wife gg grandfather actually is a Sterling .
From Sterling City. So I have done some significant eastern CT research.
My point was the greater your achievements and identy with a cause the greater the act of treason.
PS. I don't consider Wickopedia a creditable source. One step above the History channel .

Reaction Score
I'm quite familiar with Arnold's biography,but since he is often linked to New Haven, it was just a quick reference. Perhaps I should have used Ct's to not upset anyone. No offense meant to Norwich. My wife gg grandfather actually is a Sterling .
From Sterling City. So I have done some significant eastern CT research.
My point was the greater your achievements and identy with a cause the greater the act of treason.
PS. I don't consider Wickopedia a creditable source. One step above the History channel .

I understand your dislike of Wikopedia, however most of the info is correct. As to your reference to his link to "Sanctuary City" New Haven, I am sure you would get an argument from a lot of the "Rose City" people. Why anyone would want to admit to having Arnold as a former resident is beyond me. Lets just forget about it and deal with the Men's excellent adventure now, into the realm of the SWEET 16.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sorry to break the bubble on your "Benedict Arnold" comment. Facts:
Benedict was born the second of six children to Benedict Arnold (1683–1761) and Hannah Waterman King, in Norwich, CT., on January 14, 1741. Like his father and grandfather, as well as an older brother who died in infancy, he was named after his great-grandfather Benedict Arnold, an early governor of the Colony of Rhode Island. Only Benedict and his sister Hannah survived to adulthood; his other siblings succumbed to yellow fever, in childhood. His siblings were, in order of birth: Benedict (August 15, 1738 – April 30, 1739), Hannah (December 9, 1742 – August 11, 1803), Mary (June 4, 1745 – September 10, 1753), Absolom (April 4, 1747 – July 22, 1750) and Elizabeth (November 19, 1749 – September 29, 1755). Through his maternal grandmother, Arnold was a descendant of John Lothropp, an ancestor of at least six U.S. Presidents.

Arnold's father was a successful businessman, and the family moved in the upper levels of Norwich society. When he was ten, Arnold was enrolled in a private school in nearby Canterbury, CT, with the expectation that he would eventually attend Yale. However, the deaths of his siblings two years later may have contributed to a decline in the family fortunes, since his father took up drinking. By the time he was fourteen, there was no money for private education. His father's alcoholism and ill health kept him from training Arnold in the family mercantile business, but his mother's family connections secured an apprenticeship for Arnold with two of her cousins, brothers Daniel and Joshua Lathrop, who operated a successful apothecary and general merchandise trade in Norwich. His apprenticeship with the Lathrops lasted seven years. In 1762, with the help of the Lathrops, Arnold established himself in business as a pharmacist and bookseller in N

All this to say he wasn't born in New Haven?

Reaction Score
That would be the biggest act of treason since New Haven's Benedict Arnold,

JC to BC would be a close second.

This sould probably move to third, BC's treasonous act of moving to the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom