Saturday | The Boneyard

Saturday

Reaction Score
If past is prologue this game is going to be played at Villanova's pace. I don't see us finally forcing a team to play our preferred style against a team this well coached. So. Long possessions, they're going to have to score in the half court. I'd like to see Hurley start one of Hawkins or Polley and bring either Jackson or Martin off the bench. I know Hawkins has been bad and he hasn't "earned" a starting role with his play, but we need guys who can be a threat to put the ball in the bucket. Put him out there and let him shoot it. I really don't want to watch this team score 15 points in the first half.

Reaction Score
I’ve wanted Polley to start all year, even if he doesn’t end up playing significant minutes every game. Should be him, Martin, and Cole in the back court to start.

He’s too streaky for us to wait until the first TV timeout to bring him in to see if he’s going to have a good night or not. Get his misses in before he has a chance to ruin any momentum. He’s not some guaranteed injection of offense, and he does so little besides shoot. It’s also because, I agree, we need shooters out there at all times.

I would prefer Jackson start on the bench and come in if Polley sucks right away; for injections of energy, namely increasing defensive pressure; and with the second unit to share lead guard duty with Gaffney, who I think needs to see some time off the ball.

Reaction Score
If past is prologue this game is going to be played at Villanova's pace. I don't see us finally forcing a team to play our preferred style against a team this well coached. So. Long possessions, they're going to have to score in the half court. I'd like to see Hurley start one of Hawkins or Polley and bring either Jackson or Martin off the bench. I know Hawkins has been bad and he hasn't "earned" a starting role with his play, but we need guys who can be a threat to put the ball in the bucket. Put him out there and let him shoot it. I really don't want to watch this team score 15 points in the first half.
Hurley doesn't go out on a limb like this.....that we've seen so far. KO was the same way, they always use their veterans.

Reaction Score
Last possession of the game with UConn down two.
Cole lets the clock run down to less than 10 seconds and then bricks a three.
Some combination of AJax and Martin then get 3-4 offensive rebounds followed by badly missed layups.
Buzzer. Ballgame.
Only suspense is the over/under on how many of those AJax/Martin attempts hit iron. 1 out of 4?

Reaction Score
Last possession of the game with UConn down two.
Cole lets the clock run down to less than 10 seconds and then bricks a three.
Some combination of AJax and Martin then get 3-4 offensive rebounds followed by badly missed layups.
Buzzer. Ballgame.
Only suspense is the over/under on how many of those AJax/Martin attempts hit iron. 1 out of 4?

Feel better?

Reaction Score
Like the thought but there is no way
No Way Stop GIF

Hurley will do that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love the sentiment. Been clamoring for since Atlantis. Zero chance it happens.

IIRC Hawkins did get to start a couple games when Martin was out and he didn’t capitalize on that opportunity; I don’t recall if Adama was also out for those games, but I would expect that to make a difference if he was.

In any event, I have to conclude that Hurley accepts the risk of anemic offense in exchange for his preference for stingy defense. He proudly describes his team as one that will either win or lose by a little, so I think he prefers a slow grind rock fight, despite the fact they get pushed around by physical teams, and their best offense is one that runs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In any event, I have to conclude that Hurley accepts the risk of anemic offense in exchange for his preference for stingy defense. He proudly describes his team as one that will either win or lose by a little, so I think he prefers a slow grind rock fight, despite the fact that team’s best offense is one that runs.

Agreed. Tough to win a rock fight against Villanova.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t play their game, pound it down low until they stop us. Of course you’ve got to make those bunnies.

Reaction Score
I like it. Shake things up. Maybe motivate a starter and give em' an opportunity to matchup against an opposing bench player.

If there's a positive from Tuesday, it gave DH an excuse to shake things up a bit. Make the type of move you are suggesting.

Reaction Score
We're still running with this narrative that Hurley doesn't like to play fast and we have a bad offense huh?

Reaction Score
We're still running with this narrative that Hurley doesn't like to play fast and we have a bad offense huh?

I don't know what this means or who you're talking to.

I think everyone would love to see this team run against Villanova and play fast. But - like I said - history indicates that they will not be able to draw Villanova into that type of game. So how do we win the inevitable half court game? If you feel confident with the starting lineup, fine. I think other people might want to see more of a scoring punch. It's not about a "narrative," it's about trying to win a game.

Reaction Score

Can't believe you think putting Hawkins in for Andre is a good idea. A comparison between the two:

Athleticism: AJ > Hawkins
Defense: AJ > Hawkins
Rebounding: AJ > Hawkins
Handle: AJ > Hawkins
Passing: AJ > Hawkins
3 pt shooting %: AJ (46.9%) > Hawkins (32.1%)
FG %: AJ (42.9%) > Hawkins (36.1%)

Shooting form: AJ < Hawkins

Its crazier to want to replace Martin with Hawkins.

Reaction Score
We are more or less banking on Nova having a terrible shooting day which has happened before. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Reaction Score
to be fair the line between bad offense and bad offensive players is very blurry. we only have 2.5 "good" offensive players in the starting lineup (cole, sanogo, sometimes martin) plus whatever 3s we can get out of polley and hawk off the bench.

Reaction Score
I don't know what this means or who you're talking to.

I think everyone would love to see this team run against Villanova and play fast. But - like I said - history indicates that they will not be able to draw Villanova into that type of game. So how do we win the inevitable half court game? If you feel confident with the starting lineup, fine. I think other people might want to see more of a scoring punch. It's not about a "narrative," it's about trying to win a game.
Not directed at you, I'd have no problem switching up the starting lineup to get more shooting in. Was more directed at 8893 and his claim that Hurley accepts our anemic offense and slow rock fights.

Villanova has a very slow pace but it's weighed down by them preferring to run their offense methodically. Their defensive tempo is 199th which is about average and something we should take advantage of. Especially since it plays into our strengths since we like to run on offense and slow the other team down on defense

Reaction Score
Can't believe you think putting Hawkins in for Andre is a good idea. A comparison between the two:

Athleticism: AJ > Hawkins
Defense: AJ > Hawkins
Rebounding: AJ > Hawkins
Handle: AJ > Hawkins
Passing: AJ > Hawkins
3 pt shooting %: AJ (46.9%) > Hawkins (32.1%)
FG %: AJ (42.9%) > Hawkins (36.1%)

Shooting form: AJ < Hawkins

Its crazier to want to replace Martin with Hawkins.

Offense looked great against Creighton, huh? Let's keep rolling with what's not working. Maybe we can beat Villanova 45-43.

Like I said, Hawkins has not been good recently but it's disingenuous to suggest that Jackson is a better shooter or more of a threat to score the ball, which is what this team needs. Reasonable minds can disagree, I guess.

Reaction Score
True, but staying outside the arch and trying to out shoot Villanova is a losing recipe.

I'm thinking more about not letting Villanova throw two guys at Sanogo.

Reaction Score
That's my point, teams have tried to run against Villanova and it's worked. I'd like UConn to try and do the same thing Saturday

Reaction Score
Feel better?
Not at all but I've seen the movie before and know how it ends. Ideally Nova fouls in that scenario but, per always, they're one of the most well-disciplined teams in the country. Hope I'm wrong about all of it.

Reaction Score
Sorry but the Hawkins idea is an awful one. He’s not ready, and it seems like his confidence is all over the place. Throwing him in the deep end against Nova when he’s performed poorly when given minutes in other big games is a recipe for disaster. If you want to add shooting or shake things up, start Polley. We fans keep throwing things at the wall thinking it will work but let’s face it - our starting five are our starting five because, despite their glaring flaws, they’re our best five. Hawkins shouldn’t start just to shake things up if he hasn’t shown anything to deserve the spot.

Edit - sorry Ern selectively misread your post. Do agree with maybe trying polley in starting five for the shooting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom