Saturday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saturday

Reaction Score
Andre can help our guards with secondary ball-handling and initiating the break off of defensive rebounds... Getting the ball to them in their spots. He is disruptive on D and on the Boards.. And provides great entry passes into Sanogo once he's established position. Any points he can give us is gravy as he impacts the game in other ways.

I'm a Jackson fan. I've said before he's my favorite player on the team to watch. He is not an offensive threat. I don't disagree that he can help with "secondary ball-handling" but I am of the opinion - not shared by all - that points will be at a premium tomorrow and we want to maximize the number of guys that can provide them.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm a Jackson fan. I've said before he's my favorite player on the team to watch. He is not an offensive threat. I don't disagree that he can help with "secondary ball-handling" but I am of the opinion - not shared by all - that points will be at a premium tomorrow and we want to maximize the number of guys that can provide them.
He's been rounding into one prior to the Creighton game. One thing I think we we're improving on but still greatly under utilizing was his attack off the high curl with the intent to score. The action that led to his monster dunk in the first few minutes against Gtown.

Prior to the last 3-4 games, he was getting to 3-6 feet from the rim and looking to pass out. I think once he gets into dunk attempt range he just need to try to murk the rim at that point. He'll get fouled a healthy amount and he does well from the stripe.

Reaction Score
We're both Jackson guys. IMO--He can score points off of steals/deflections/offensive put backs/fast break hoops.. Perhaps non-traditional but helpful nonetheless. The matchups vs Nova for his size and speed should be beneficial to him. If he brings his "A" game tomorrow--Solid nothing crazy-We will be tough to beat.

Reaction Score
He's been rounding into one prior to the Creighton game. One thing I think we we're improving on but still greatly under utilizing was his attack off the high curl with the intent to score. The action that led to his monster dunk in the first few minutes against Gtown.

Prior to the last 3-4 games, he was getting to 3-6 feet from the rim and looking to pass out. I think once he gets into dunk attempt range he just need to try to murk the rim at that point. He'll get fouled a healthy amount and he does well from the stripe.
Agree with you.. Speaking only of Andre--There have been multiple times(over the last 5 or 6 games) he's running the baseline-usually open- with no passes coming his way. Would love to see an occasional lob pass to him. Last time that happened?

Reaction Score
Did anyone watch the AZ/UCLA game last evening? AZ shot lights out from above the arc....

How about the Purdue/Iowa game last week? Purdue shot lights out from above the arc.....

How about the UCLA/AZ game last week? UCLA shot lights out from above the arc....

Our guys have shot lights out above the arc in how many games? 3 (Auburn, G'town and Tyreese was a one man wrecking crew last week) They have only struggled pathetically to shoot 3s and closer shots in most of their games. if they could shoot, they would probably be undefeated!

We cannot shoot 3's worth a damn, and until we do IMO we do not stand a chance of competing against the Purdues, AZs, UCLAs and Novas unless they drastically improve their ability to make their shots!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Agree with you.. Speaking only of Andre--There have been multiple times(over the last 5 or 6 games) he's running the baseline-usually open- with no passes coming his way. Would love to see an occasional lob pass to him. Last time that happened?
The problem is the best person to make that pass is him.

Reaction Score
Did anyone watch the AZ/UCLA game last evening? AZ shot lights out from above the arc....

How about the Purdue/Iowa game last week? Purdue shot lights out from above the arc.....

How about the UCLA/AZ game last week? UCLA shot lights out from above the arc....

Our guys have shot lights out above the arc in how many games? 3 (Auburn, G'town and Tyreese was a one man wrecking crew last week) They have only struggled pathetically to shoot 3s and closer shots in most of their games. if they could shoot, they would probably be undefeated!

We cannot shoot 3's worth a damn, and until we do IMO we do not stand a chance of competing against the Purdues, AZs, UCLAs and Novas unless they drastically improve their ability to make their shots!
We've had some clunkers but are 4th in the BE in 3pt shooting and tied for 3rd in conference only games even after the last 2 stinkers. We actually shoot 3s at a better clip than Zona , about the same as UCLA

Reaction Score
We've had some clunkers but are 4th in the BE in 3pt shooting and tied for 3rd in conference only games even after the last 2 stinkers. We actually shoot 3s at a better clip than Zona , about the same as UCLA
If those are the stats, then they are the stats....hard to believe from what we witness game after game

Reaction Score
If past is prologue this game is going to be played at Villanova's pace. I don't see us finally forcing a team to play our preferred style against a team this well coached. So. Long possessions, they're going to have to score in the half court. I'd like to see Hurley start one of Hawkins or Polley and bring either Jackson or Martin off the bench. I know Hawkins has been bad and he hasn't "earned" a starting role with his play, but we need guys who can be a threat to put the ball in the bucket. Put him out there and let him shoot it. I really don't want to watch this team score 15 points in the first half.
Hope Hawkins just doesn't throw it up there like last game..SHOOT the ball.
We need a new gear in BALL AND PLAYER MOVEMENT.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ugh. That's a 4+ hour bus ride in good weather. And without traffic. And tomorrow's game is at noon. Sucks.
Meh, if they’re anything like my kids they will welcome the time to spend in comfy seats with their headphones in, glued to their phones.

Reaction Score
Meh, if they’re anything like my kids they will welcome the time to spend in comfy seats with their headphones in, glued to their phones.
I don't know anyone who likes sitting on a bus for 5+ hours. Your kids do? Imagine being 6-5 or more and sitting on a bus for that long? Like hell.

Reaction Score

I don't know anyone who likes sitting on a bus for 5+ hours. Your kids do? Imagine being 6-5 or more and sitting on a bus for that long? Like hell.
I have no idea why but my sister (who I think is around the same age, sophomore in college) loves long drives too. Just puts her headphones in and listens to music. Probably because at some point every else drives but she doesn't

Curiouser
Reaction Score
These are very comfortable buses, way more comfortable than airplane seats. And they have no responsibilities for all that time. Five is a lot of hours though. It will get old after three. Then they’ll sleep.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind starting Polley over Whaley honestly. Him over Jackson just leaves 1.5 players on the court who can take more than 1 dribble. I honestly don’t envy the spot the staff is in with Hawkins. If he misses his first couple shots he’s not gonna have a good game. If he turns the ball over when he first comes in he’s not gonna have a good game. He doesn’t have the ability to recover from mistakes. It’s something that I guess has to be worked on in the offseason. I know this can’t happen and i’m a fool for bringing it up, but this would be such an ideal game to have Corey Floyd. He’s strong and quick enough to help deal with Nova’s tough guards.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We're still running with this narrative that Hurley doesn't like to play fast and we have a bad offense huh?

IDK, hard for me to think we have a good offense after that Creighton game

I'll give you sometimes good, sometimes bad, that's the best I can do :)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If we beat Villanova in Philly, I don’t care if we beat them 15-13.

yeah but, we suck in the Wells Fargo Arena

Maybe when we play at MSG we'll have a chance :)

Reaction Score
If past is prologue this game is going to be played at Villanova's pace. I don't see us finally forcing a team to play our preferred style against a team this well coached. So. Long possessions, they're going to have to score in the half court. I'd like to see Hurley start one of Hawkins or Polley and bring either Jackson or Martin off the bench. I know Hawkins has been bad and he hasn't "earned" a starting role with his play, but we need guys who can be a threat to put the ball in the bucket. Put him out there and let him shoot it. I really don't want to watch this team score 15 points in the first half.
I agree with you 100%.

Reaction Score
this would be such an ideal game to have Corey Floyd
another take i keep seeing that i just can't comprehend. we are getting practically zippo from diggins and hawk yet people insist the recruit ranked ~50 spots below them would be instant impact if only he weren't REDSHIRTING.... did hurley redshirt the wrong frosh? what am i missing?

i'm hoping karaban can contribute next season but i'm not even holding my breath floyd becomes a rotation piece until his redshirt sophomore year

Last edited:
Reaction Score
another take i keep seeing that i just can't comprehend. we are getting practically zippo from diggins and hawk yet people insist the recruit ranked ~50 spots below them would be instant impact if only he weren't REDSHIRTING.... did hurley redshirt the wrong frosh? what am i missing?

i'm hoping karaban can contribute next season but i'm not even holding my breath floyd becomes a rotation piece until his redshirt sophomore year

He also - based on my understanding - doesn't bring anything that's going to address a weakness. Isn't he basically a shorter Tyrese? He's not a shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom