Saniya Rivers has hit the portal!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers has hit the portal!!!

Reaction Score
Rivers is a really good player that would have been really good at South Carolina and will be really good at her next stop.

I wish it had worked out better, but this is how it happened, so I wish her well except when we face her in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what lead to Saniya’s suspension from those 3 games, I’m sure it weighed on her departure as well. Definitely not as severely as her not feeling as though she’s a “puzzle piece,” but she may have acted out in some type of way because she was already mentally checked out. Either way, we hate to see her go. Whoever gets her is getting a heap of talent. I hope she returns to her home state, imo. North Carolina is on the upward trajectory, and Coach Banghart is doing a great job. Saniya could be the missing “puzzle piece” for them.
I hope she goes to NC State if she goes home. NC seems like the more immediate threat the way they are recruiting.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that the decision to leave a program after winning the national championship is easier than if you were on a team that almost won or is picked to win the next year. She had that experience; the game, the crowd, cutting down the net, the parade, etc. She will forever be a national champion. She can check that off her bucket list. Now, as stated in that article, she has a year under her belt and she knows more of what she wants. Good luck to her.

Reaction Score
I am a really big fan of Saniya Rivers and I hope that she succeeds at her new school. We have all been trying to figure out why she would leave a National Championship winning program when she was clearly an integral part of the future. I have come to the conclusion that maybe the stage at SC and the 15,000+ fans at Colonial Life Arena were just too much for her. To go from being such a prolific scorer in high school to shooting 1 for 31 from the 3 point line seems to be all MENTAL. Some players thrive under the bright lights and some players wilt under the intensity of the big stage. I think that a change of scenery is the only thing that may allow her to get her mental confidence back and let her natural ability shine. Playing in front of smaller crowds and not being surrounded by teammates that are more talented and accomplished than her should help her return to her #3 ranked status. It is easier to play and shoot confidently when you know that your are the best player on the court and at SC she was nowhere near that stature. When you think of Boston, Bueckers, Jones, Clark.....the bigger the stage, the better they play.....it is just in their DNA. UNC would be a good fit for her...up and coming program, she would be one of 2 -3 star quality players, smaller crowds, less pressure to perform. As mentioned in previous posts, sometimes players and programs just don't FIT...nothing wrong with the player and nothing wrong with the coach/program....this seems to be one of those times.
If you accept an offer from a team like SC, then you had to know the conditions under which you would play. If you're tweeting you want to beat UCONN, you better be ready for the big lights. And playing against lesser talent and ducking competition from the equally yoked to gain confidence is fool's gold. Nika didn't start out shooting lights out and neither did lots of freshmen. No matter where she goes...she needs patience...on and off the floor. Not sure why she left, but hope she settles in and reaches her potential. A lot of these kids aren't getting it. The best in HS is not usually the best in college.

Reaction Score
I am a really big fan of Saniya Rivers and I hope that she succeeds at her new school. We have all been trying to figure out why she would leave a National Championship winning program when she was clearly an integral part of the future. I have come to the conclusion that maybe the stage at SC and the 15,000+ fans at Colonial Life Arena were just too much for her. To go from being such a prolific scorer in high school to shooting 1 for 31 from the 3 point line seems to be all MENTAL. Some players thrive under the bright lights and some players wilt under the intensity of the big stage.

If the crowd was an issue, did you notice any change in her play when South Carolina played away from CLA? I don't think that would really be the issue to be honest.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am a really big fan of Saniya Rivers and I hope that she succeeds at her new school. We have all been trying to figure out why she would leave a National Championship winning program when she was clearly an integral part of the future. I have come to the conclusion that maybe the stage at SC and the 15,000+ fans at Colonial Life Arena were just too much for her. To go from being such a prolific scorer in high school to shooting 1 for 31 from the 3 point line seems to be all MENTAL. Some players thrive under the bright lights and some players wilt under the intensity of the big stage. I think that a change of scenery is the only thing that may allow her to get her mental confidence back and let her natural ability shine. Playing in front of smaller crowds and not being surrounded by teammates that are more talented and accomplished than her should help her return to her #3 ranked status. It is easier to play and shoot confidently when you know that your are the best player on the court and at SC she was nowhere near that stature. When you think of Boston, Bueckers, Jones, Clark.....the bigger the stage, the better they play.....it is just in their DNA. UNC would be a good fit for her...up and coming program, she would be one of 2 -3 star quality players, smaller crowds, less pressure to perform. As mentioned in previous posts, sometimes players and programs just don't FIT...nothing wrong with the player and nothing wrong with the coach/program....this seems to be one of those times.
I was a big fan of Saniya and could still be. Her defensive tool kit, length, and level of athleticism make her elite. Her shooting woes go back to high school and suggest something deeper. Her shot mechanics and athleticism would indicate that she should be making many more shots. I'm seriously suggesting an eye exam and vision correction. Her next stop needs to be a place where she can play up tempo all the time. Saniya also needs to lock in on a primary position. She does most other things (shooting being the exception) well enough to be a contributor on a contending team. Here comes the critical part of the SC program and Dawn: Shooting 1 for 31 from deep is egregious. Saniya should NEVER have gotten that many 3PT FGA. Ironically her only 3 point make of the season was in her first game against Buffalo.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
To go from being such a prolific scorer in high school to shooting 1 for 31 from the 3 point line seems to be all Mental.
:eek: I don't know that I've ever seen season stats like hers - she made her very first three pointer in a Gamecocks uniform and then never made another one again. Given how poorly she shot last year in general, I'd have to agree it was something mental going on. Sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference in the world.

Reaction Score
I was a big fan of Saniya and could still be. Her defensive tool kit, length, and level of athleticism make her elite. Her shooting woes go back to high school and suggest something deeper. Her shot mechanics and athleticism would indicate that she should be making many more shots. I'm seriously suggesting an eye exam and vision correction. Her next stop needs to be a place where she can play up tempo all the time. Saniya also needs to lock in on a primary position. She does most other things (shooting being the exception) well enough to be a contributor on a contending team. Here comes the critical part of the SC program and Dawn: Shooting 1 for 31 from deep is egregious. Saniya should NEVER have gotten that many 3PT FGA. Ironically her only 3 point make of the season was in her first game against Buffalo.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you accept an offer from a team like SC, then you had to know the conditions under which you would play. I're tweeting you want to beat UCONN, you better be ready for the big lights. And playing against lesser talent and ducking competition from the equally yoked to gain confidence is fool's gold. Nika didn't start out shooting lights out and neither did lots of freshmen. No matter where she goes...she needs patience...on and off the floor. Not sure why she left, but hope she settles in and reaches her potential. A lot of these kids aren't getting it. The best in HS is not usually the best in college.
What she actually said was she wanted to go to a place where she could beat UCONN and that was before UCONN started recruiting. I'm pretty sure she knew SC was going to be playing UCONN on a regular when she signed on. Seems to me that she chose pretty wisely and was not afraid of the "bright light". It also not like Saniya lit it up against lesser teams and then didn't show up for UCONN.
Saniya did not have a game this season in which she scored in double figures and the most minutes she played in a game was 25 against MD.

Reaction Score
No wonder I could not remember her hitting one. It was so long ago. If Dawn allowed her to hoist 31 3s and she felt comfortable doing it, she must be hitting them in practice. Her attempts have to be in SC top 4.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No wonder I could not remember her hitting one. It was so long ago. If Dawn allowed her to hoist 31 3s and she felt comfortable doing it, she must be hitting them in practice. Her attempts have to be in SC top 4.
It was 7th on the team. She shot 26% from 3 in HS. Not great by any means but far better than going 1/31.

HS Stats Link

What surprised me most was just how badly she missed shots. Like routinely shooting airballs or hitting the side of the backboard. From her HS footage I thought she had potential to be the next Angel McCoughtry. Tall wing, extremely athletic, great at taking the ball to the basket, not a great shooter but capable, great defender, solid passer, etc. None of that really transpired on the court at SC and she never looked confident or in rhythm. Her strengths never fit SC's style of play this year, since the offense didn't utilize much slashing and was largely about pounding it inside and finishing around the basket. It worked and got them a championship, but I can see how Rivers feels like she wasn't the right puzzle piece for the program.

Reaction Score
It's surprising to see those solid FT shooting percentages in high school, because she went 12 for 24 at South Carolina. Something must have changed mechanically or confidence-wise when she got to college.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Shooting Extra Credit not a good fit? :confused:;)

Reaction Score
It was 7th on the team. She shot 26% from 3 in HS. Not great by any means but far better than going 1/31.

HS Stats Link

What surprised me most was just how badly she missed shots. Like routinely shooting airballs or hitting the side of the backboard. From her HS footage I thought she had potential to be the next Angel McCoughtry. Tall wing, extremely athletic, great at taking the ball to the basket, not a great shooter but capable, great defender, solid passer, etc. None of that really transpired on the court at SC and she never looked confident or in rhythm. Her strengths never fit SC's style of play this year, since the offense didn't utilize much slashing and was largely about pounding it inside and finishing around the basket. It worked and got them a championship, but I can see how Rivers feels like she wasn't the right puzzle piece for the program.
We have had slashers in the past - Tiffany Mitchell was the best and who Saniya reminds me of. I’m assuming that’s what Dawn saw when she recruited her. We won’t always have an Aliyah or A’ja, although we have one heck of a story to tell if another one comes along.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree about Saniya. She has good form and should never be the poor shooter she's shown to date. I've mentioned a few times about her athleticism and how very silky smooth she is. She also has excellent speed and gets off her feet well. Even when she's open though she seems to rush her shots. Her shooting problems may be visual, then again, it may not. Markelle Fultz is a good example of that. Admittedly 1-31 from the arc perhaps more than egregious. But to shoot that many times means Dawn had confidence in her shot, which perhaps means she hits those shots in practice. This may indeed be a game time, mental issue.

I think if it's a mental and not a physical problem going to an up tempo program would not be the solution for her shooting issues, it would just exacerbate them. Uptempo programs encourage you to shoot more, not be selective with your shots. However, if it's a vision issue, at her height and recaptured shot she could be extraordinary under any offensive scheme.

To say she needs to perhaps lock down on one position may also be to her detriment. She has the skills to be a guard and a wing, as did Evina and as does CD. With a little more upper body strength with her height she could take advantage of both positions.

Reaction Score
D
I agree about Saniya. She has good form and should never be the poor shooter she's shown to date. I've mentioned a few times about her athleticism and how very silky smooth she is. She also has excellent speed and gets off her feet well. Even when she's open though she seems to rush her shots. Her shooting problems may be visual, then again, it may not. Markelle Fultz is a good example of that. Admittedly 1-31 from the arc perhaps more than egregious. But to shoot that many times means Dawn had confidence in her shot, which perhaps means she hits those shots in practice. This may indeed be a game time, mental issue.

I think if it's a mental and not a physical problem going to an up tempo program would not be the solution for her shooting issues, it would just exacerbate them. Uptempo programs encourage you to shoot more, not be selective with your shots. However, if it's a vision issue, at her height and recaptured shot she could be extraordinary under any offensive scheme.

To say she needs to perhaps lock down on one position may also be to her detriment. She has the skills to be a guard and a wing, as did Evina and as does CD. With a little more upper body strength with her height she could take advantage of both positions.
Dawn definitely believed in her, you can tell she was going out her way to adapt for her specifically, despite her not having the best practices.

Reaction Score
Rivers went to the Gamecock Gala tonight. Looks to be having fun...
It’s crazy, isn’t it? Posed for a picture with the team. Was very engaged with them at the spring game, even signed some autographs. There’s obviously no I’ll will and for that I am thankful.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy, isn’t it? Posed for a picture with the team. Was very engaged with them at the spring game, even signed some autographs. There’s obviously no I’ll will and for that I am thankful.
Where was Cardoso? She wasn't in any of the pics I've seen.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Where was Cardoso? She wasn't in any of the pics I've seen.
I've noticed that Kamilla isn't extremely social and I can definitely relate to that. She doesn't post much on social media either. Laeticia, LeLe and Eniya weren't in the group photo, either, but they were at the spring FB game on Saturday, I think.

Reaction Score
I've noticed that Kamilla isn't extremely social and I can definitely relate to that. She doesn't post much on social media either. Laeticia, LeLe and Eniya weren't in the group photo, either, but they were at the spring FB game on Saturday, I think.
I'm not sure why Laeticia wasn't in the photos with the rest. I noticed that as well. She was definitely there, though, bc she received an award and there were pics of her accepting it.

On a different note, everyone that was in the photo looked amazing (Laeticia did as well in the awards photo). I saw a couple of them mention they wished Henny could've been there with them, too.

Reaction Score
Rivers went to the Gamecock Gala tonight. Looks to be having fun...
safe to say that she won't be having second thoughts? Would be nice to see her be back with her teammates but prob just a last farewell night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom