Saniya Rivers has hit the portal!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers has hit the portal!!!

Reaction Score
there were some "colorful" comments about Rivers cutting class and partying in the gamecock forum. Oof

Reaction Score
I expect Tennessee to add a post player. If anyone else comes via transfer portal. Tennessee will have three potential first round draft picks Horston, Key, and Jackson.

I don't know much about the PG from Minnesota.

Tennessee should be good. I have always been pretty high on Jackson but I'm not sure what to expect there.

Reaction Score

I’m hoping Saniya finds a place that suits her style of play, as well as her personality. As an onlooker, it appeared that she was learning the SCar BB system, and would’ve earned more playing time if she’d dugged a little deeper. And, maybe she gave all she could, but her teammates gave a little bit more. But it’s evident that even winning the latest championship wasn’t enough to change her mind from leaving. So, like UCONN, SCar is not immune from having high profile transfers. All the best to her.

Reaction Score
I think the entirety of GamecockNation was shocked by her announcement to enter the transfer portal, but ultimately, we respect her decision. I personally feel as though she could have become that “puzzle piece” that she is referring to, but I can’t blame her for not wanting to sit around and wait to see. I’m wondering if there will or have been any behind-the-scenes conversations between she and Coach Staley about her staying, sort of like what happened with Kiki Herbert-Harrigan. Not trying to dig for fool’s gold there, but we shall see where she lands. In the end, all of The FAMs will be rooting for her wherever she lands!

Reaction Score
I posted this in the transfer portal thread but I'm going to copy and paste it here as well just in case others look here for info associated specifically with Saniya vs the transfer portal thread:

Regarding Saniya Rivers, there was an article where she made some interesting comments regarding her departure from Gamecock WBB. She did not, however, address anything in relation to the 3 game suspension that I still suspect played a role and had nothing at all to do with class attendance issues.

She said that she wanted to leave mid-season. That she was "not a piece of the puzzle" and basically did not feel as if she belonged. Also, she says her "phone has been blowing up" with random programs contacting her (yet her status has been from the moment she entered the portal, and remains, "do not contact"). She said she plans on taking the max number of visits allowed as a transfer, which is to 3 programs that she does not name. I'll try to locate the link to the article again and edit this with that link.

ETA: Here is the link to the article:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Come on home Ms Rivers, as long as its not Orange County

Reaction Score
I posted this in the transfer portal thread but I'm going to copy and paste it here as well just in case others look here for info associated specifically with Saniya vs the transfer portal thread:

Regarding Saniya Rivers, there was an article where she made some interesting comments regarding her departure from Gamecock WBB. She did not, however, address anything in relation to the 3 game suspension that I still suspect played a role and had nothing at all to do with class attendance issues.

She said that she wanted to leave mid-season. That she was "not a piece of the puzzle" and basically did not feel as if she belonged. Also, she says her "phone has been blowing up" with random programs contacting her (yet her status has been from the moment she entered the portal, and remains, "do not contact"). She said she plans on taking the max number of visits allowed as a transfer, which is to 3 programs that she does not name. I'll try to locate the link to the article again and edit this with that link.

ETA: Here is the link to the article:

If it did not have to do with missing class then do you know why she was suspended?

Reaction Score
He clearly does not.
*She :p

And no, I don't know. There are rumors from ppl who are usually privy to info the rest of us are not but bc it's not substantiated and bc it implies that it was not due to classes but was due to issues of another nature that falls on Saniya, I'm not gonna spread the rumors. They have been very vague in naming anything very specific other than saying it reflects poorly on the player herself, anyway.

As another person has pointed out, and this can be substantiated, it has never happened before that Dawn reacts that severely simply due to skipping classes. Not to the point of suspending someone 3 games, especially during the NCAA tournament.

ETA: that was not to imply that she doesn't react at all, just that a 3 game suspension as opposed to fewer games than 3 being the punishment is more in line with anything similar that has occurred previously.

Reaction Score
*She :p

And no, I don't know. There are rumors from ppl who are usually privy to info the rest of us are not but bc it's not substantiated and bc it implies that it was not due to classes but was due to issues of another nature that falls on Saniya, I'm not gonna spread the rumors. They have been very vague in naming anything very specific other than saying it reflects poorly on the player herself, anyway.

As another person has pointed out, and this can be substantiated, it has never happened before that Dawn reacts that severely simply due to skipping classes. Not to the point of suspending someone 3 games, especially during the NCAA tournament.

ETA: that was not to imply that she doesn't react at all, just that a 3 game suspension as opposed to fewer games than 3 being the punishment is more in line with anything similar that has occurred previously.
I have said more than I desire. I will take my leave with this, your whole “further explanation” is defamatory in nature. Those who are “privy” to the information should know exactly what the suspension was for, your implications here let me know they do not.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what lead to Saniya’s suspension from those 3 games, I’m sure it weighed on her departure as well. Definitely not as severely as her not feeling as though she’s a “puzzle piece,” but she may have acted out in some type of way because she was already mentally checked out. Either way, we hate to see her go. Whoever gets her is getting a heap of talent. I hope she returns to her home state, imo. North Carolina is on the upward trajectory, and Coach Banghart is doing a great job. Saniya could be the missing “puzzle piece” for them.

Reaction Score
I have said more than I desire. I will take my leave with this, your whole “further explanation” is defamatory in nature. Those who are “privy” to the information should know exactly what the suspension was for, your implications here let me know they do not.
You're a salty little fella. Wonder why that is? I also believe I very clearly stated what they were saying were RUMORS as it was UNSUBSTANTIATED.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I trust that Dawn made the right call; I have enough to worry about with my own employees and still not being fully staffed.

Reaction Score
I saw the posts too. It really doesn’t matter why she’s going because she wasn’t happy with something. There’s nothing wrong with the “culture” Dawn has created because most of them love it. Saniya was just looking for something different. I will say this…she, along with the other 2 transfers, were at the spring game last night with the rest of the team and the coaches. She was laughing and joking with them - you would never know there was anything wrong just to watch them and I watched specifically for that. Again, I just think it wasn’t a fit and there are no hard feelings. As fans sometimes we want to fault a coach, program or player if it doesn’t work out.

Reaction Score
I expect Tennessee to add a post player. If anyone else comes via transfer portal. Tennessee will have three potential first round draft picks Horston, Key, and Jackson.
There’s only 12 first round draft picks and goodness there are going to be some players in it. How about the big girls - Boston, Amihere, Key, Ayoka Lee, Dorka - and those are just the ones off the top of my head. That draft is gonna be nuts.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There’s only 12 first round draft picks and goodness there are going to be some players in it. How about the big girls - Boston, Amihere, Key, Ayoka Lee, Dorka - and those are just the ones off the top of my head. That draft is gonna be nuts.
Yes maybe the best ever draft.

Reaction Score
I am a really big fan of Saniya Rivers and I hope that she succeeds at her new school. We have all been trying to figure out why she would leave a National Championship winning program when she was clearly an integral part of the future. I have come to the conclusion that maybe the stage at SC and the 15,000+ fans at Colonial Life Arena were just too much for her. To go from being such a prolific scorer in high school to shooting 1 for 31 from the 3 point line seems to be all MENTAL. Some players thrive under the bright lights and some players wilt under the intensity of the big stage. I think that a change of scenery is the only thing that may allow her to get her mental confidence back and let her natural ability shine. Playing in front of smaller crowds and not being surrounded by teammates that are more talented and accomplished than her should help her return to her #3 ranked status. It is easier to play and shoot confidently when you know that your are the best player on the court and at SC she was nowhere near that stature. When you think of Boston, Bueckers, Jones, Clark.....the bigger the stage, the better they play.....it is just in their DNA. UNC would be a good fit for her...up and coming program, she would be one of 2 -3 star quality players, smaller crowds, less pressure to perform. As mentioned in previous posts, sometimes players and programs just don't FIT...nothing wrong with the player and nothing wrong with the coach/program....this seems to be one of those times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom