Saniya passes Lindsay Allen to reclaim #1 A:TO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya passes Lindsay Allen to reclaim #1 A:TO

Reaction Score
You know, I've spent the last several games really focusing on Saniya, even tho she's not the star scorer or defender. There's a reason she played 38 minutes vs. Tulane when the next highest MPG went to Lou and Nurse at 29 - she's just really solid. I think her defense is much improved - her lateral movement is sharp and keeps her in front of defenders. She shoots the ball when open, but never forces a shot. She's an excellent passer with good court vision - the reason her A:TO ratio is so good is NOT because she doesn't make the good pass, it's because she doesn't make the foolish/risky pass.

Last year I was MUCH more comfortable with Moriah on the floor running the team. When Saniya came in, my comfort level dropped dramatically. This year not at all. I LIKE it when Saniya's out there running the team. She's not flashy, won't do things that make you go "WOW", but she's a terrific TEAM player and exactly what the team needs at the helm. Congrats Saniya - please continue playing the way you have and playing confidently!!
Saniya is playing quite well and is very much needed this year, particularly with Crystal missing playing time. Her minutes reflect both her improved play and also Crystal's health issues. She has obviously overcome the anxiety issues that limited her playing time in her first couple of years with the Huskies, the same type that seems to be affecting Molly this year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's an apples and oranges situation. While UConn and ND have similar-ish assist numbers (UConn 455 vs ND 437), UConn has four players with more than 50 assists (Gabby 105, Kia 85, Saniya 68, Lou 53), ND has two (Lindsay 176, Marina Mabrey 60).

Just for ha-has, as Lindsay and Saniya are very different players, but here are their side-by-side stats.

Saniya, 6.8 ppg, 49.4% FG percentage, 43,6% three point FG% (19-45), 2.1 rpg, 1.3 spg, in 27 minutes per game, 19 total fouls, 4 total blocks in 18 games
Lindsay, 8.6 ppg, 49.1% FG percentage, 38.5% three point FG% (5-13), 5.3 rpg, 2.3 spg, in 33.5 minutes per game, 44 total fouls, 3 total blocks in 23 games
So I think the arithmetic here suggests that Lindsay Allen has nearly the same A/TO ratio as Saniya, and Lindsay has 2.6 times as many assists as Saniya (176 vs. 68). So Lindsay has achieved her ratio with a lot more throughput than Saniya.

It would be like two hitters in baseball who are both hitting .300, but one has 500 at-bats and the other has 200. The player with 500 at-bats and a .300 batting average has achieved a greater hitting feat than the one with 200 at-bats.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know I'll get some blowback on this, but although I've been very happy with the change in Saniya's game this year, there is still one thing that bothers me. She very seldom makes the pass inside to Pheesa, Lou or Gabby, even when they are calling for it. Yes those passes get made, very effectively, but almost always by Gabby, Kia or sometimes Pheesa. Saniya seems reluctant to do it, maybe for fear of making a bad one, even though we all know she is more than capable.
Probably because she doesn't like them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I think the arithmetic here suggests that Lindsay Allen has nearly the same A/TO ratio as Saniya, and Lindsay has 2.6 times as many assists as Saniya (176 vs. 68). So Lindsay has achieved her ratio with a lot more throughput than Saniya.

It would be like two hitters in baseball who are both hitting .300, but one has 500 at-bats and the other has 200. The player with 500 at-bats and a .300 batting average has achieved a greater hitting feat than the one with 200 at-bats.
This sounds like Moneyball. I wonder what Billy Beene has to say? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom