Saniya passes Lindsay Allen to reclaim #1 A:TO | The Boneyard

Saniya passes Lindsay Allen to reclaim #1 A:TO

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Saniya's 5 assist, zero turnover game vs Tulane gives her an astonishing 4.15 to 1 assist to turnover ratio (meaning she makes 4.15 assists for every turnover she makes). Lindsay's A:TO is an impressive 3.58:1 but she has fallen to third behind Saniya and Kristen Anderson of New Hampshire (3.61:1).

Lou is #2 in the country in made threes per game with 3.65. Jessica Kovatch of St. Francis-PA makes 4.05. Napheesa is #7 in field goal percentage (65.9%), Gabby is #38 (54.4%), and Lou is #72 (50.0%).

Those UConn kids are pretty good. :cool:

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Best part is if she continues playing with low turnovers she pushes into Moriah Jefferson territory and can cement her status in Husky history.

She's a great ball handler and Geno knows it. He doesn't need her to score 30+ a night like she did in High School and I bet he couldn't be happier he has, yet again, the point guard with the best ATO ratio in the nation

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, I've spent the last several games really focusing on Saniya, even tho she's not the star scorer or defender. There's a reason she played 38 minutes vs. Tulane when the next highest MPG went to Lou and Nurse at 29 - she's just really solid. I think her defense is much improved - her lateral movement is sharp and keeps her in front of defenders. She shoots the ball when open, but never forces a shot. She's an excellent passer with good court vision - the reason her A:TO ratio is so good is NOT because she doesn't make the good pass, it's because she doesn't make the foolish/risky pass.

Last year I was MUCH more comfortable with Moriah on the floor running the team. When Saniya came in, my comfort level dropped dramatically. This year not at all. I LIKE it when Saniya's out there running the team. She's not flashy, won't do things that make you go "WOW", but she's a terrific TEAM player and exactly what the team needs at the helm. Congrats Saniya - please continue playing the way you have and playing confidently!!

Reaction Score
You know, I've spent the last several games really focusing on Saniya, even tho she's not the star scorer or defender. There's a reason she played 38 minutes vs. Tulane when the next highest MPG went to Lou and Nurse at 29 - she's just really solid. I think her defense is much improved - her lateral movement is sharp and keeps her in front of defenders. She shoots the ball when open, but never forces a shot. She's an excellent passer with good court vision - the reason her A:TO ratio is so good is NOT because she doesn't make the good pass, it's because she doesn't make the foolish/risky pass.

Last year I was MUCH more comfortable with Moriah on the floor running the team. When Saniya came in, my comfort level dropped dramatically. This year not at all. I LIKE it when Saniya's out there running the team. She's not flashy, won't do things that make you go "WOW", but she's a terrific TEAM player and exactly what the team needs at the helm. Congrats Saniya - please continue playing the way you have and playing confidently!!
It is also worth noting that Soniya's strength as a point guard is also giving Crystal all the time she needs to develop. Crystal's injury, of course, delays that development.

Reaction Score
I just can't see Saniya not getting drafted, that's not to say that she will stick, but she should at lest get drafted.

I think it goes to show that at Uconn more so then any other school you should stick it out.

Reaction Score
She's not flashy, won't do things that make you go "WOW", but she's a terrific TEAM player and exactly what the team needs at the helm. Congrats Saniya - please continue playing the way you have and playing confidently!!
Saniya usually has one or two plays per game that are WOW moments for me, often on a drive to the hoop in traffic and I wonder how the heck she got the shot to drop. She had one yesterday.

Reaction Score

I like everything you said. The only thing I would like to comment on is you stating there is a reason she playe more minutes than Lou or Nurse... She played more minutes for a few reason IMHO.

- Short bench requires at least one starter always be on the floor
- Geno was having mercy on the other team.. Imagine if Lou was out there for another quarter.
- Geno was getting rest to the other starters that are more heavily relied upon both for Tuesday and March.
- I think he also wants Saniya to continue building on her confidence and leadership.

Reaction Score
Saniya's 5 assist, zero turnover game vs Tulane gives her an astonishing 4.15 to 1 assist to turnover ratio (meaning she makes 4.15 assists for every turnover she makes). Lindsay's A:TO is an impressive 3.58:1 but she has fallen to third behind Saniya and Kristen Anderson of New Hampshire (3.61:1).

Lou is #2 in the country in made threes per game with 3.65. Jessica Kovatch of St. Francis-PA makes 4.05. Napheesa is #7 in field goal percentage (65.9%), Gabby is #38 (54.4%), and Lou is #72 (50.0%).

Saniya's A/TO ratio is now 4.5.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sanya has been an absolute revelation this year with her consistent play and great passing. However, I wouldn't necessarily call her a PG in the true sense of the position. Last year, everything ran through Mo. Saniya passes the ball in the flow of the offense. She is one of a number of really good passers on a team assisting on 70% of all made baskets. If the Huskies need someone to take control and settle them down, more often then not, it's Kia who fills that role.

Reaction Score

How about Kia---unless I read the stats wrong--Kia was 8 assists Zero turnovers HU game. That is just bit of alright!! These will do until some thing better comes along--if it ever does!!

Reaction Score

Small correction if you allow: When Saniya slashes to the basket and scores---I scream WOW!! I'm sure other may do that too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sunday update - Saniya is still #1 (4.0), Kia is #25 (2.5), and Gabby is #59 (2.1) in assist to turnover ratio. As a team, UConn is #1 (1.74). Baylor is right behind at 1.72 then DePaul at 1.49. The cream rises to the top.

And, Lou is #3 in threes made per gam (3.6), Napheesa is #5 in field goal percentage at 66.0% - yes, that includes yesterday's game. Gabby is #3 in triple doubles after Sabrina Ionesco of Oregon, who has 3.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
How does Saniya's volume (of both assists and turnovers) compare to Lindsay Allen's? My hunch is that Allen's ratio is based on a significantly larger volume, which arguably makes it a more impressive achievement.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
How does Saniya's volume (of both assists and turnovers) compare to Lindsay Allen's? My hunch is that Allen's ratio is based on a significantly larger volume, which arguably makes it a more impressive achievement.
Joe, I think some posters listed those numbers in the First Team AA thread.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just can't see Saniya not getting drafted, that's not to say that she will stick, but she should at lest get drafted.

I think it goes to show that at Uconn more so then any other school you should stick it out.

She'll get drafted! Her UConn pedigree almost guarantees that. She's one of the best 36 seniors coming out this year. Whether or not she makes the cut is something else. She has name recognition, and she can shoot the 3. Her defense has improved. If it can translate to the next level or not remains to be seen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's an apples and oranges situation. While UConn and ND have similar-ish assist numbers (UConn 455 vs ND 437), UConn has four players with more than 50 assists (Gabby 105, Kia 85, Saniya 68, Lou 53), ND has two (Lindsay 176, Marina Mabrey 60).

Just for ha-has, as Lindsay and Saniya are very different players, but here are their side-by-side stats.

Saniya, 6.8 ppg, 49.4% FG percentage, 43,6% three point FG% (19-45), 2.1 rpg, 1.3 spg, in 27 minutes per game, 19 total fouls, 4 total blocks in 18 games
Lindsay, 8.6 ppg, 49.1% FG percentage, 38.5% three point FG% (5-13), 5.3 rpg, 2.3 spg, in 33.5 minutes per game, 44 total fouls, 3 total blocks in 23 games

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I really hope and pray Saniya keep playing with confidence. She is improving on defense, and is becoming a part of the "core 4". Geno is trusting her more, and she is gaining the trust of her team mates. I like a lot of UConn fans, no longer cringe when she is on the court. Saniya is able to guide the team in the 4th quarter, which is good, because Kia is able to get some rest. Saniya is also talking more, so Crystal and Molly can turn to her and Kia for guidance.

Reaction Score
I know I'll get some blowback on this, but although I've been very happy with the change in Saniya's game this year, there is still one thing that bothers me. She very seldom makes the pass inside to Pheesa, Lou or Gabby, even when they are calling for it. Yes those passes get made, very effectively, but almost always by Gabby, Kia or sometimes Pheesa. Saniya seems reluctant to do it, maybe for fear of making a bad one, even though we all know she is more than capable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom