Saniya Chong and Kiah Stokes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong and Kiah Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I only just finished watching the game, and there was an interesting moment at one play when UConn had to inbound the ball with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. Give credit to DePaul's defense, because the pass ended up going to Kiah standing behind the 3-point line.

And she took the shot. It didn't go in, but it was a decent shot. Didn't rush, didn't hesitate, just... took it, because she had to. There was nobody else. I don't know if she could have done that a year or two ago. Not just the shooting ability, but the fairly calm attitude about it.

Kiah is always going to be the 5th option offensively. Even with the walk-ons on the floor, that's true; they want to shoot, they look for their options, and she doesn't. But I think what she's gotten better at is recognizing those moments when it is her turn. There are moments when she is the best option because nothing else is there, and she seems to my eye to be more and more reliable in those situations.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Coupla thoughts, wonderful thread.
indeed, if you think about it, with Geno's emphasis on guard play (and I suppose guard scoring).
Since last year's NCAA, our guards haven't hit the side of a barn
And scoring has reverted to the forecourt.
It's likely to continue in the next few years
Especially so with next year's recruiting class.
You don't see Kia Nurse as a scoring guard?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Since last year's NCAA, our guards haven't hit the side of a barn. And scoring has reverted to the forecourt.

Um, just wow. Hate to bring real facts and numbers into this thread again when fumes seem to be what it runs on.

2013-14 stats: 7.4 three-pt-FGs per game and 36.6% in 3-pt FG%
2014-15 stats: 9.4 three-pt-FGs per game and 40.5% in 3-pt FG%

I don't know, maybe that side of a barn was made twice as big so that the Husky players could hit it with their feeble shooting.
Also, the main four guard quartet of last year (Jefferson, Hartley, Chong, Banks) averaged about a combined 35.5 ppg, while this year's main quartet (Jefferson, Nurse, Chong, Williams) is popping for 37.6. So I guess they're at least holding their own.

Again, sorry to bring up actual stats, but sometimes they can give a slightly different view of what must be a dismal situation.

Reaction Score
Bothgirls been playing well Ilike how Chong let the game come to her and today's game against UCLA was a perfect example of it. Kiah just has a mission to get re soundsand blocks but when she can post up and make moves like she did today she can be the most improve player in NCAAW. She needs to continue to have that monster attitude on the court

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Bothgirls been playing well Ilike how Chong let the game come to her and today's game against UCLA was a perfect example of it. Kiah just has a mission to get re soundsand blocks but when she can post up and make moves like she did today she can be the most improve player in NCAAW. She needs to continue to have that monster attitude on the court
So you're saying Kiah is a "monster" like Godzilla out there?

I'll buy it.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
What Ive noticed about MoJeffs defense is taller guards are taking one and one and shooting over her. Her lack of height is what opposing guards are using to their advantage and it has been working.

Yeah. How's Dangerfield going to be different?

Reaction Score
Coupla thoughts, wonderful thread.
I think the biggest motivation and role model for offense for Kiah is Gabby
Think about it: Gabby is a junior sized Kiah with developing D and rebounding skills (at which Kiah is unique).
But on offense, Gabby is hungry to create and results are forthcoming…Kiah being an excellent student may catch on.

I've seen Mo attempt two pull-ups now; neither went in. But it's a work in progress and she will be rewarded in due course.
But I agree with (I think) Rady who mentioned that she is not her dominating self yet.

indeed, if you think about it, with Geno's emphasis on guard play (and I suppose guard scoring).
Since last year's NCAA, our guards haven't hit the side of a barn
And scoring has reverted to the forecourt.

I thought Nurse was a guard.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I liked much of what Tonyc had to say. Sanyia played 19 minutes against UCLA and only took 3 shots. I recall Gabby's high school coach saying that Gabby could be the next Maya Moore and i'm thinking wow, really? But ...well, you know. I thought Moriah would spend the summer working on her offensive game but I think she looked better last year and now she's a junior and I don't believe in miracles. Sadie had a great HoopGurlz resume and now she's gone. Will Courtney Ekmark light it up when she returns? I sure hope so. Kaleena only took 6 shots against UCLA and needs to take more. Maybe miss Dangerfield will develop into an offensive force but her lack of height concerns me. I know that I sound pessimistic and I don't want to be. I look forward to our game on Saturday. Go UCONN!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I got a laugh seeing a DePaul player drive into the paint, see Kiah, then do an immediate U-turn. Kiah is an imposing presence under the basket.

1150x647

And I get a laugh seeing a photo that makes it appear MoJeff has one 18-inch bicep. (Thanks to the perfect placement of Kiah's arm.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom